Linux Audio the way to go!?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
SunRa said:
......I can't believe we are just 8-9 people watching this thread and being interested in PC-audio...

More than 8, but some of us are watching for the dummy 101 version.

1. I have time to let the Linux coders work and make an eventual solution that even I can't mess up..

2. I am currently at capacity for switch ports. I will be installing a 24 port switch soon so I can add a few more devices.

SunRa said:

I can't believe we are just 8-9 people watching this thread and being interested in PC-audio...

@soundcheck,

when do you estimate the post of a "walkthrough" and how's going with the FIR crossovers?

Best luck!

Hi.

I am still working on the system itself. I made again some improvements, by playing with some realtime kernel parameters,
Beside that I introduced some kind of fan and temperature control
(the fan is most of the time off now while playing back! ;) ).
I also played around with the processor speed. Now I am running a configuration which is a compromise of highest speed at lowest temperature to avoid the fan turning on.
The issue here - sound is best, in my case, at the max. of 2.16GHz. The PC was running at 1GHz ( I never really noticed before) while playing music. Changing that manually to 2.16 improved the sound quality, but also increased heat generation. With 1.66 I am now running a reasonable comprise.
The fan had quite an impact to my sound btw.

Conclusion: Get yourself a fanless PC and run the processor at highest speed!

There is already a 2nd reference system (Tom from Norway) running.
He rates his sound quality: "Awesome" ;)

I am right now working with a 2nd guy, less Unix experienced, to get a 2nd reference system up'n running. The plan is to get if fixed
next weekend. Based on these experiences I'll might post the How-To, even though i'd be happy to run it first with two more volunteers (drop me mail) with high-quality gear via e-mail contact to make sure that it is working.

Cheers
\Klaus

Hi Soundcheck,

Keep the excellent work!

I am right now working with a 2nd guy, less Unix experienced, to get a 2nd reference system up'n running. The plan is to get if fixed next weekend. Based on these experiences I'll might post the How-To, even though i'd be happy to run it first with two more volunteers (drop me mail) with high-quality gear via e-mail contact to make sure that it is working.

I would love to be guided by you BUT I would feel a little guilty bothering you...why don't you start a Wiki guide to Linux Audio?
This way you won't need to answer to every lazy guy (like me :D)

Can you program the fan to start at a given Tº?

Cheers,
M
Running Ecdesign's DI16 "Ultimate NOS DAC" still through Win XP :bawling:

Run a silent fan at 5V. You will not be able to hear it from 3 feet. Disable the fan controller on the Mobo.

There is a thread on audioasylum about building a transport. Take a look

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=pcaudio&m=19242

I am thinking of following what he is doing and build a PC just for audio. I will not use XP, but will use puppy linux running eacsound, hopefully remote controlled via Nokia N770 interenet tablet.

Furthermore, I will not use the power supply and the computer case, as suggested. Go here for the silent treatment

http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/

I take a total differnt aproach when it comes to silent PC.
I bought a Thermaltake Sonic Tower cooler that cooles my 6300 core2duo.
Instead of trying to sounddeaden the case I leave it open. My grafic card is also passively cooled. In the power supply I put a Papst fan that is sonically not detectable from 2 feet away. The case is a horizotal one and i put it in an IKEA Roll-container that is in front and back open and has a divider board that can be adjusted in the hight.
I adjust the computer in the hight so that it has 4 inches to the top to breath. Underneth I can put the rest of my audio equipment. I can roll it around to different locations and the neat thing is, if I have to do anything on the Computer I slide it back a bit and it lies bare before me. In an audio computer you want as less metal as possible to not reflect RFI. Especialy if you have a modded internal soundcard as I do. And that is the bigger motivation for me to go fanless if possible because fans are RFI generators. My camear broke the other day, so I can't show you the Roll-container with the computer in it, but you can see it as a speaker stand in the pic I attached.

Greets,
KLaus

Attachments

• roll-container.jpg
    roll-container.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 423
agent.5 said:
Run a silent fan at 5V. You will not be able to hear it from 3 feet. Disable the fan controller on the Mobo.

There is a thread on audioasylum about building a transport. Take a look

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=pcaudio&m=19242

http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/

Hi there.

The guy at audio-asylum were pretty much collecting all the facts, which are already known -- at least to me.

Running XP and Foobar for sure keeps you away from getting highest quality sound out of your system. ;)
That's why I started this thread.

The only player under Windows, which is delivering (close to) high-end sound (under Vista, works also under XP), you'll find under www.phasure.com. It is called XXHigh-End a no-frills wav player, deeply integrated into the MS-OS.
Its developer PeterST and myself started the race at the BD-DESIGN forum last summer, running two different tracks.
Due to the limitations of Windows I switched to Linux.
You might download this piece of SW to learn how much improvement under Windows can be made.

Once you've listened to that one -- as a kind of teaser -- , you might get interested about fiddling around with Linux to find out what's really possible - at no cost! . ;)

Cheers
\Klaus

maxlorenz said:
Hi Soundcheck,

Keep the excellent work!

I would love to be guided by you BUT I would feel a little guilty bothering you...why don't you start a Wiki guide to Linux Audio?
This way you won't need to answer to every lazy guy (like me :D)

Can you program the fan to start at a given Tº?

Cheers,
M
Running Ecdesign's DI16 "Ultimate NOS DAC" still through Win XP :bawling:

Before I starting up a Wiki, which might lead to a huge number
of inquiries, I rather make sure that the whole thing is managable
for the average PC user, with some basic understanding on how to use the keyboard. ;)

On the other hand don't forget, we're are at DIY-Audio here, a certain DIY-spirit and effort to put into that subject I'd expect from people sneaking around here. Otherwise this thread should be run at Audio-Asylum.
People spend 100s of hours to select the right cap, resistor, coil or whatever for the audio equipment but they do accept crappy setups on the PC, and worse not even questioning them. :smash: - this is IMO ridiculous. It'll take you some time to get into it - that's for sure - but instead of ending up in endless -- what-coil-is-the-right-coil discussions -- you're widening your horizon in a new field - that's fun - at least to me.

Install yourself an Ubuntu-Studio and when you're finished drop me a mail. We'll manage to get you up to speed! ;)

Cheers
\Klaus

soundcheck said:

Install yourself an Ubuntu-Studio and when you're finished drop me a mail. We'll manage to get you up to speed! ;)

Klaus, this is very generous of you.
Am now downloading Ubuntu studio....

Think though I'm not the only one interested in trying, so perhaps a brief step by step on the forum would be good? What packages to install and so on -- Google should help us manage how to install...
;)

media management in Linux

Hi,
My big problem with moving over to Linux for audio has been giving up J River media center, which can be configured to browse through album covers -- a really user friendly way of managing media.

However I came across this, which is web based, meaning you it can work on Linux plus allows you to use the playback engine of choice. There are online demos to try.

http://www.jinzora.com/

not quite as pretty as JRMC, plus a bit more complicated, but perhaps worth a try.

thoughts?

There are quite some real good media players under Linux available. Amarok is one - strongly recommend - example.

However, having Linux on the HD does not mean that you have to get rid of Windows resp. JRMC.

All my music is still located on the Windows-Partition, which will
be mounted by Linux.

For high quality music I use Linux, for playing background music, especially my wife ;) , uses JRMC under Windows.

In my setup Linux is stored on a 4GB partition. That's it. You'll have all flexibility you're looking for.

Cheers
Klaus

This thread is great

Hi all,
Klaus, you made a very nice job, and no doubts, you're not alone. Many thanks !
As on AA forum, PC-audio section is poor about Linux, we really need a PC-audion section here.
Following this thread and some peufeu's ideas, I started making a Linux PC-audo. Not finished !!!

Harware setup:
Zalmann TNN 500AF fanless case.
Asus A8V Deluxe Motherboard + PCI wireless board
AMD athlon64 3200
2 GB RAM
Sound card: RME HDSP9632 is just ordered.
Radeon 9800 pro graphic card
IRTrans infrared RS232 receiver
:mad: be careful with thermal design power: Zalmann indicates a fanless safety limit at 100W, but my AMD64 FX53 (89W) burned.

Software:
Ububtu OS.
I'll install a RT kernel as suggested by Klaus.

I have not yet been able to make work the remote control with IRTrans and LIRC. LIRC has few information, and some HowTo would be helpful. By googling I've read someones tried to make work the TNN case's IR receiver, but with uncertain results.

Just listening ripped music on my PC speakers to make everything work before hooking it to my system. So, I cannot tell about sound quality for the moment.

All the best,
Alain

Hey everyone....

I'm convinced...well...I have been convinced for the past few years...I have been using linux for audio (etc.) for several years.

If you wanna know the truth I have always liked linux audio over windows....experience it for yourself....install it...it's easy and free!

btw...my latest distro is Ubuntu...

I have been through almost all of them...and with a good set of pc speakers...and a sub....it puts the Windows sound to shame!

soundcheck said:
There are quite some real good media players under Linux available. Amarok is one - strongly recommend - example.
However, having Linux on the HD does not mean that you have to get rid of Windows resp. JRMC.
All my music is still located on the Windows-Partition, which will
be mounted by Linux.
For high quality music I use Linux, for playing background music, especially my wife ;) , uses JRMC under Windows.
In my setup Linux is stored on a 4GB partition. That's it. You'll have all flexibility you're looking for.
Cheers
Klaus

Thanks Klaus,
A good idea, I think I can do the same.
My music (flac) drive is NTFS.... though google tells me this can be done...

Hi there.

NTFS partitions are mounted by default read-olny.

You can have a look in your /etc/fstab by starting a terminal and typing:

$ less /etc/fstab

Your windows partition, ususally (/dev/sda1) is mounted as type nfts by default after installation. Older systems with fat32 filesystems are mounted as /dev/hda.
These do have read-write access.

The problem here is that you can not write on the ntfs partition by default.

You need to install ntfs-3g for getting write access.

Ubuntu:

1. Start synaptics.
2. Search for ntfs-3g
3. Select and install it
4. exit synaptics
5. replace in /etc/fstab the string "ntfs" with "ntfs-3g" on your windows partition, by starting an editor as root e.g.
$ sudo gedit /etc/fstab
< replace the string and save it >
6. reboot

Good luck

Hi there,
So -- have repartitioned my XP system drive to create space for Ubuntu Studio. Was tempted to wait for the realtime version, although that is not until October. So I've downloaded the .iso file, and am pretty much ready to install when I get a free few hours.
For Linux newcomers like me (well, I've dabbled in the past but nothing long-term), found a very nice install guide.
There is also a very active and helpful ubuntu forum, and good documentation.
I think soundcheck is right -- ubuntu studio is probably the easiest 'out of the box' starting point for newcomers put off by much of this thread. Will give a try and report.. ;)

ssmith said:
Hi there,
So -- have repartitioned my XP system drive to create space for Ubuntu Studio. Was tempted to wait for the realtime version, although that is not until October. So I've downloaded the .iso file, and am pretty much ready to install when I get a free few hours.
For Linux newcomers like me (well, I've dabbled in the past but nothing long-term), found a very nice install guide.
There is also a very active and helpful ubuntu forum, and good documentation.
I think soundcheck is right -- ubuntu studio is probably the easiest 'out of the box' starting point for newcomers put off by much of this thread. Will give a try and report.. ;)

Hi.

I mentioned earlier that one reason going for Ubuntu is its
widely spread support within several fora. These are even available in different languages.
You're not alone if you encounter an issue, that's for sure! ;)

You don't have to wait until October. I hope you can install the
ck1 patch on 2.6.22 as soon as I have posted the howto.

---------

The 2nd installation I was talking about earlier is almost done ( by a Linux newbie with mail support ) and seems work.
I hope I get feedback about sound quality today. However he'll be running XMMS for the time being.
It'll most probably sound great, though it still can get better.
The next stage will be the brutefir setup. This I'll fix as a small package soon.

I am still wondering where to post the Kernel "How-To".
It should be something where I don't have to spent too much effort for the beginning.
I have to be able to edit it afterwards. And people have to be able to get me feedback about it!

Any ideas are welcome.

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.