Linux Audio the way to go!?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
if one of those linux based routers only had non-ethernet outputs we'd be in business.

i don't view this as a niche item. the squeezebox is a very expensive solution to a very simple problem. it would make sense for someone else to try to capture some of this segment of the market.

I believe there is a version of the venerable linksys wrt54g that has a usb 2.0 port... although you expressed a dislike for that interface (that I share).

Others only require a connecter to be soldered to the relevant tabs on their pcb iirc.

Believe me I wasnt advocating the use of sqeezebox devices, as the latest incarnation is approached by the diy community by disabling all the features that make it a 300 euro gizmo to achieve sound quality 'zen'... rendering it exactly what we'r talking about... a simple embedded system performing no complex function.

I know you only asked for such a device... but since a small embedded-ish system (atom-via-etc with small flash storage and no fans) would serve your purpose well... have you considered using it for more than a simple transport? One of these systems could perform near real time perfect filtering... performing crossover and eq duty that ruins really rather expensive solutions.

the squeezebox is a very expensive solution to a very simple problem.

I wouldn't agree to that. Not at all.

First of all - talking about the Touch - it replaces a PC and a pretty high quality audio interface (PC and M2Tech Hiface won't be better from what I heard) and software (db, player)
incl. monitor/touch screen at a tag of around 260$ .
Try to get that done any cheaper - don't forget to count in your own efforts
building and maintaining your own SW/HW solution.

Some of the reasons why I enjoy my Touch and SB Server:

* It is mainly plug'n play.
* It can be used by the entire family.
* It integrates all kind of internet services
* It's database structure works extremely well, fast and stable
* Maintenance efforts are the lowest I came across since years.
* OS and OS sound layer independent ( server side - the Touch is running an embedded Linux)
* great and extremely fast control option with iPeng (iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch) or other apps on
Android
* multiple clients support incl. sync of clients
* a large community driven SW devlopment (modules,plugins)
* noiseless
* not to forget great soundquality after a bit of SW-tweaking (see my signature below -- SB Touch mods)
* and more

I think I mentioned that before. I would have prefererd a Duet II kind approach ( a Touch without monitor) at 150$. For me this would have been the perfect solution.
However, the price erosion is ongoing. The Touch was already down to 240€ at some places some days ago. I consider it a pretty fair offering.

If you're interested in a noiseless PC client look at a plug-computer: Have a look at Sheeva/Guru plugs.
There are Linuxes around supporting that device. With this device and an external USB-DAC, you'll manage to built a good network audio solution from a client perspective at around 100$.

Checkout Vortexbox as Linux based audio network server. It'll come with Squeezebox Server, MPD, a player app, automatic ripping.

Though I have to say, I said Good-Bye from MPD quite some time ago. I think it was a nice little toy to start with. Though it really never fulfilled my expectations in terms of quality, feature support, operations, maintenance and sound quality.

My listenting-to-music/Linux-PC-work ratio went finally up from 20/80 to 80/20 since the introduction of the Squeezeboxes.

I am more then happy with the current situation. :D

Good luck

Last edited:
Exactly! What I'm thinking about is an Ethernet streaming receiver with its own unique MAC address. You just plug it into any LAN or WAN with an Ethernet cable and access it remotely via TCP/IP. It doesn't have to be a "smart" device. All that it needs to do is to accept data that is streamed to it by a remote server, and feed the ethernet packets to it's own embedded DAC. It would have analog outputs, either single-ended or balanced (or both).

I only know of the apple airport and the Squeezebox (in the sensible price category).

i don't view this as a niche item. the squeezebox is a very expensive solution to a very simple problem. it would make sense for someone else to try to capture some of this segment of the market.

Go on, lets see your BOM for a squeezebox competitor and then do your analysis on profit margins & volume to get to the final price? I would be highly surprised if you could get something cheaper for the tiny volumes that this kind of device will attract?

So in conclusion I think you either need to figure out how to build something yourself (arduino + I2S output perhaps?). Or if you resent the Squeezebox option (remember you can use it as a kind of MPD endpoint) then I think you are back to the PC in each room - I gave you a couple of ideas for low end fanless devices that should be man enough for the job?

Good luck

Soundcheck, thank you for the detailed explanation of why Squeezebox is a viable pre-packaged turnkey solution. Although I'll continue to consider it as an option, I'm really more interested in a more streamlined product. Although the GUI may be a good solution for some families, I can't use it, and it makes no sense for me to buy something I can never use.

I have to admit, I'm kind of surprised that at a site that's dedicated to DIY Audio, I'm getting so many recommendations to go out and buy packaged turnkey solutions. I guess I was mistaken in thinking that there would be more interest in a direct DIY approach. If there is more interest in a direct DIY approach and I'm just asking for help in the wrong thread, I'd appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction.

I'm still considering computer based solutions such as USB interfaces and soundcards, but they're low on my list of preferred options because of the well established technical weaknesses and/or fidelity problems associated with them.

Motherboard sound cards in particular have a reputation for having abysmal signal to noise ratios compared to what can be bought in a premium quality sound card. If S/N is at all important to the user, the embedded solutions seem to be lacking. Just in case this point wasn't clear, I'm really looking for a high fidelity solution, not just something that will turn a high quality stereo system into a highly convenient but low-fidelity MP3 player.

Though I have to say, I said Good-Bye from MPD quite some time ago. I think it was a nice little toy to start with. Though it really never fulfilled my expectations in terms of quality, feature support, operations, maintenance and sound quality.
I'm sorry, but that comment gives me serious pause in weighing the credibility of your advice. MPD is a back end software FILE SERVER. File servers have NOTHING to do with sound quality. All that they do is to read digital data off of a hard disk and transmit the files over Ethernet to a remote client device. As long as they can deliver the data in time, file servers have no impact on sound quality.

Sound quality is 100% dependent upon the disposition of that digital media at the CLIENT hardware/software interface. If you had problems with sound quality on your linux based system, the problem isn't attributable to the back end file server. It's attributable to your client PC and it's sound card. When you tell me that the sound quality of MPD was an issue, I'm hearing that your PC had a low quality sound system and that sound quality improved when you migrated to a higher quality external DAC interface.

Go on, lets see your BOM for a squeezebox competitor and then do your analysis on profit margins & volume to get to the final price?
Nobody ever said that DIY was cost effective! :D

So in conclusion I think you either need to figure out how to build something yourself (arduino + I2S output perhaps?). Or
Good luck
Well, that's the whole point of coming to DIY Audio -- to find a way to build a DIY soltuion that solves the problems that are inherent in off the shelf solutions.

Part of the problem in shopping for an off the shelf solution is that the people offering products aren't offering just what's needed for the job (a simple, low cost interface). Instead, they're marketing a simple, low cost interface that's bundled with other products in a more expensive package. Its not that I resent Squeezebox, its just that don't have any need for all of the products that they are selling. I don't need to buy their Squeezecenter software when I already have the same back end MySQL server already in place. I don't need to buy their tiny hand held remote display that's hard for me to see, when I already have large, highly visible remote displays that I can see better. And I don't need to buy their software client software interface when I already have a suitable client interface. All that I need is the receiver hardware that serves as the Ethernet-RCA bridge. Is is possible to obtain that as a separate component?

Others only require a connecter to be soldered to the relevant tabs on their pcb iirc.
This is the kind of information that I came here looking for. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be most grateful.

Believe me I wasnt advocating the use of sqeezebox devices, as the latest incarnation is approached by the diy community by disabling all the features that make it a 300 euro gizmo to achieve sound quality 'zen'... rendering it exactly what we'r talking about... a simple embedded system performing no complex function.
It seems that you have a really strong grasp of what I'm looking for. I can't see the point of spending 300 euros/dollars to buy a device and then disable most of its features.

@ solderhead

DIY:

Look up my blog. There you'll find a lot of DIY ideas you can apply to the Touch.

You are more then invited to come up with your own ideas!

If you like you can also program software for the Squeezebox.
As I said - a lot of stuff are community driven SW projects.

MPD SQ & Credibility:

I made several proposals ( I wrote a Wiki about it) to improve the SQ of MPD by using the pipe output plugin routing the stream into better sounding apps in the past.

I won't start to discuss all this again -- impact of SW on SQ.

Read the comments on my blog related to SQ. ( You'll find also several other sources now on the net confirming the effects).
I did nothing else - even less - on the Touch as I did on my own Linux systems.

Your credibility:

As far as I understood, you don't even own a Touch and never used iPeng...
... and you don't even read properly what I am writing!

Beside that I showed you an alternative approach. Have fun!

Last edited:
"I have to admit, I'm kind of surprised that at a site that's dedicated to DIY Audio, I'm getting so many recommendations to go out and buy packaged turnkey solutions. I guess I was mistaken in thinking that there would be more interest in a direct DIY approach. If there is more interest in a direct DIY approach and I'm just asking for help in the wrong thread, I'd appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction."

If you don't feel that this thread is going in the direction you want / hope, it is easy to start a new thread and see if there is interest. There may be others thinking along the same lines, and we have some real smart people here on this forum..

"I'm sorry, but that comment gives me serious pause in weighing the credibility of your advice. MPD is a back end software FILE SERVER. File servers have NOTHING to do with sound quality. All that they do is to read digital data off of a hard disk and transmit the files over Ethernet to a remote client device. As long as they can deliver the data in time, file servers have no impact on sound quality."

I do have to disagree on this one. That falls under the same category as "digital cables don't influence sound". YES they do. Theoretically they shouldn't but in actuality they do. Cables for different reasons but the source files or the network path can affect the quality of the audio.

"The source files or the network path can affect the quality of the audio."

The "Squeezecenter" back end software that comes with a Squeezebox relies on an industry standard implementation of MySQL to access data files stored on disk. They didn't re-invent the wheel -- they're using the same MySQL application that other linux back-end servers use to access the same data. Then the data is transmitted over the same PC, over the same ethernet card, over the same network, regardless of which client interface you've decided to implement. In the case we're talking about any differences in fidelity are attributable differences in implementation at the client, not the server.

I encourage you to start another thread for the HW development as I don't think this one is going in that direction AND you have a great idea to try to develop.

If you honestly believe that's all there is to pulling audio from a drive then no amount of explanation will convince you otherwise.

"The source files or the network path can affect the quality of the audio."

The "Squeezecenter" back end software that comes with a Squeezebox relies on an industry standard implementation of MySQL to access data files stored on disk. They didn't re-invent the wheel -- they're using the same MySQL application that other linux back-end servers use to access the same data. Then the data is transmitted over the same PC, over the same ethernet card, over the same network, regardless of which client interface you've decided to implement. In the case we're talking about any differences in fidelity are attributable differences in implementation at the client, not the server.

What kind of discussion is that supposed to be? You obvioulsy pick non- relevant stuff, twist it and bend it, then you put it up out of context, just
to confirm that you know it all!

Did you actually ever work with the SB-Server? Have you ever programmed or optimised an SQL database or the SB-Server db?

Did you e.g. try decoding flac files on the server instead of the client? ( How - without having a device at hand!?!? ;) )

Ever implemented/configured Sox based SRC on the server or similar?

Did you ever measure or even check out the SQ-impact of network related parameters such as network cables, different network speed,etc.....?

I guess there is plenty of stuff to do for you to gain a little more wisdom! :D

Good luck with your own embedded DIY-platform. We can continue to talk in a year from now about how far you got. ;)

I see you doing a lot of winging about every idea you are being given not being what you want, but not a lot coming back about ideas that you do want?

I already gave you a Airport Express, Arduino and Alix as medium spec options for a client ethernet receiver board (and I will add Gumstix). Google brings up a bunch of interesting options for Arduino hifi searches and a few links from that brought up some ideas for I2S based DACS, eg:
The Buffalo II Digital-to-Analog Converter

Then searching on "ethernet to I2S" brings up yet more interesting looking chipsets, so if you really wanted to you could cut out the powerful processor from the client and go almost completely embedded (but personally I find a processor very helpful in the client, eg you can run some DSP, or use a higher level audio interface such as an MPD client or Pulseaudio / Net-jack or whatever)

I'm sure there are also some designs for fully digital speakers in another section of diyaudio, perhaps you want to do something more like that design? They do various designs from powerline receivers to wireless radios, hooked up to a DAC?

I think the problem is you are in the "Linux Audio" thread and then everytime someone gives you a client powerful enough to run linux you keep arguing that you don't want that? I think the point is if you just want to build roughly a network enabled DAC, then go start an appropriately titled thread? (and/or read up on similar projects on diyaudio)

Good luck!

(P.S. I'm with you on the one identical stream of bits sounds like another identical stream of bits... I'm really rather unconvinced that the type of ethernet cable or version of mysql will make an audible difference... Obviously caveat some broken client software...)

Last edited:
Embedded Linux

Exactly! What I'm thinking about is an Ethernet streaming receiver with its own unique MAC address. You just plug it into any LAN or WAN with an Ethernet cable and access it remotely via TCP/IP. It doesn't have to be a "smart" device. All that it needs to do is to accept data that is streamed to it by a remote server, and feed the ethernet packets to it's own embedded DAC. It would have analog outputs, either single-ended or balanced (or both).

I don't know why somebody isn't marketing something like this -- it would certainly be more convenient than a USB interface (which requires a computer), and it could be designed to eliminate all of the drawbacks that go with USB.

it seems that the vendors who have this technology prefer to sell complete turnkey solutions -- because that gives them the ability to mark up four devices instead of one.

I'm thinking that there's got to be enough collective knowledge in the community to design something like this. The software part has already been done.

Solderhead,

The device you are describing, as simple as you want to make it sound, is by definition a very smart device, i.e., it is a computer. Even those dumb looking $20 four port switches have some kind of processor on board to route packets. And, rereading your post, you pretty much described a Squeezebox Touch: ethernet; DAC; analog out; accepts streamed data. And at $300, it's a bargain, and you don't have to buy 4 of them

With that said, having the USB option is a huge advantage --not a drawback! With the advent of asynchronous DACs from the likes of Wavelength Audio, Ayre, etc., and the forthcoming USB Audio Class 2.0 spec coming down the pike in ALSA, Windows, and Mac OS X, we are seeing not only a nice improvement in sound, but the handling of high-resolution files as well. MPD already handles 32bit/394khz audio.

I've been running a small PC Engines Alix single board computer with a software stack (Voyage Linux, MPD, ALSA w/ bit perfect output) that runs entirely in RAM for close to three years with really good results. The SBC is fanless, draws only 3 watts when playing FLAC files, has no moving parts, and is lightly smaller than a CD jewel case. It feeds an external USB Asynchronous DAC.

You could make it smaller, but you'll still have a computer: RAM; CPU; ethernet, USB, etc. Your not going to find a micro-controller that can handle compressed MP3 data, much less one that can handle the data involved when streaming 16bit/44.1khz audio. I can point you to a small device that is no bigger than a stick of gum, but it's still a Linux computer. Hint: www.picotux.com/pt200/picotux200.pdf

I hope that helps.

P.S. If you're unhappy with the software stack of the Logitech/Squeezbox Touch, you can run MPD on the device and be done with it. It'll get all your files from any NAS box.

This is the kind of information that I came here looking for. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be most grateful

And since you're in the "Linux Audio" thread and are still at least considering a USB DAC solution, take a look at this blog:
Cheap silent USB Linux music server: Mar 20, 2009

He was a complete Linux newbie, and with a little help, I got him up an running in a couple of hours.

The board will cost you about $125 USD. You can power it for hours on 8 AA cells (or any 12v to 18v adapter). A 256MB compact flash card should cost you no more than $5 these days. All the software is free, and since Voyage Linux includes the apt package management system the installation of MPD and ALSA is super easy. I'm pretty sure you can get a cheapie USB DAC from Newegg for less than $20.

Links:
Newegg.com - StarTech ICUSBAUDIOB 2 Channels USB Interface Black Audio Adapter

Newegg.com - Computer Hardware,Input Devices,Sound Cards,USB

Get all your parts together, set aside a nice long afternoon, get a nice cold beverage, and roll up your sleeves. If you ask intelligent questions, there are *plenty* of people who'll be more than happy to help you.

If you find that these small systems are really not what you're after, you can easily resell the Alix on eBay for only a small loss[1], as they are very popular with the wireless crowd. The rest of your parts will now be part of your new "Computer Audio Toolbox".

Welcome to the world of DIY.

Now if you'll excuse me, my Alix is connected to a new Ayre QB-9 USB DAC that I have on loan from dealer....

[1] Actually, not a loss at all. You'll gain lots of know-how just playing with this combo for one afternoon.

nyc_paramedic,

Have you considered testing one of the latest breed of USB audio 2.0 DACs and the new usb-audio v. 2 drivers added to alsa recently?

Yes, and it's one of the reasons I have the Ayre on loan. From what I understand, Ayre should have a replacement USB board for USB Audio 2.0 available for the QB-9 any day now.

Ever since I put the Alix together and gotten my hands on a second hand Brick DAC (upgraded to v2 asynch), I have slowly been collecting a small stash of 24/88, 24/96, 24/176, 24/192 files.

The Alix connected to the Ayre down-sampled the 176khz and 192khz files quite easily; the CPU's load increasing from ~8% to ~24% during playback.

Honestly, I'm not in super hurry to jump on the USB 2.0 bandwagon. My collection is mostly 16/44, and the Ayre sounds wonderful with material. And when I do find hi-res material online, if it's offered in 24/176 then it usually available in 24/96. And if it isn't, it still sounded really good down-sampled on the Alix.

I do have 2 Alix boards: 1 is my stable little box for when I need to just listen to the music. The other is my tinker board, for when I have the time to actually play with things like the latest MPD or ALSA.

I'm actualy on the way to the dealer today to return the Ayre demo unit, and put in my order for a black colored QB-9 -- a special order item. I'll ask about the upgrade when I'm there.

I'll keep you updated?

nyc_paramedic,

Thanks for the extensive info. One day I would like to make a dedicated audio player using a dirt-cheap 7" aPad tablet (100USD ?), install regular arm linux with latest alsa drivers on it, use some simple player suitable for the touch screen (framebuffer only) and quality USB audio v.2 asynchronous sound card, definitely powered by quality linear PSU, perhaps with USB galvanic isolation. I am pretty sure such device would provide very good quality for very low price as there is no technical compromise - separate PSU, asynchronous mode, multiple crystals etc.

Bah, why do you want to be tethered to your DAC with a cable? Or conversely why do you want to get up to change the channel?

:)

There are some cheapo Android tables starting to appear, eg the Archos 5 Home and whilst more expensive than you describe these would potentially make a very nice web based gui with wireless to the server.

In my case I am using a PC based preamp/processor that could be controlled to read in input from spdif / file on a disk / whatever. Then in my case I happen to use an internal DAC to output the audio, but it could equally be a cat 5 / firewire / usb / powerline / wireless link to some DAC somewhere else in the house.

I think the two obvious ways to slice this are either:

1) Powerful central server which pushes audio around to remote DACs/speakers. This is how the home automation guys tend to build systems. It's good for setups where you need some horsepower to process the audio first (eg I run it through a bunch of long FIR filters, resample, etc, also I decode video, deinterlace and play video onscreen on the same box)

2) Dumb central box and near dumb, but smarter satellite DACs/processors. Eg NAS somewhere, and DACs/Amps in the speakers with some way for the speakers to access the audio on the NAS (cable/wireless, etc)

It sounds like the previous poster is more interested in option 2), and indeed there are some benefits, but I guess more systems tend to revolve around the idea 1) and hence that's where you see most stuff today?

Good luck

QB-9 USB Audio 2.0 shipping

nyc_paramedic,

Thanks for the extensive info. One day I would like to make a dedicated audio player using a dirt-cheap 7" aPad tablet (100USD ?), install regular arm linux with latest alsa drivers on it, use some simple player suitable for the touch screen (framebuffer only) and quality USB audio v.2 asynchronous sound card, definitely powered by quality linear PSU, perhaps with USB galvanic isolation. I am pretty sure such device would provide very good quality for very low price as there is no technical compromise - separate PSU, asynchronous mode, multiple crystals etc.

phof,

First let may say that I'm not a digital designer. Second, after putting the alix/voyage linux combo together I've been doing a lot of reading.

So, after thinking about this for a quite a while, I honestly think that the future of computer audio will center around some sort of small Linux computer. When I mean small, I mean something like this: CALAO Systems or this: TS-4500 250MHz ARM9 TS-SOCKET Macrocontroller The difference being that these things will be custom made to audiophile specs, e.g., no switching supplies on the COM module; just pins/pads to attach discrete regulated supplies for 1.8v, 3.3v, and 5v. (If we got enough people together we could already have Technologic Systems build boards for us in a minimum quantity)

Also, this future model will center around what MPD does: a small daemon on the COM module playing music, and a client running elsewhere. I foresee people/companies replicating MPD's functionality either for MAC or Windows. Though, it'll still be communicating with a small Linux computer.

Mark my words. 'Tis the way it's going to be.

Personally, I really like the idea of having a small headless single board computer feeding my DAC. I like the fact that my clients run on other machines. I don't want anything extraneous (VGA, LCD panels or touchscreens) running on my server.

Update on the Ayre QB-9: They *are* shipping the USB Audio 2.0 QB-9 as of right now. Since my black unit has to be custom built I get the USB 2.0 version. I was told one small switch on the back will let you set it to USB 1.0 mode or USB 2.0 mode. I'm excited.

Another update: Stay tuned for a new version of Voyage Linux coming out soon. Hint: Audiophiles/music lovers are the focus. Can't say much more.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.