Linux Audio the way to go!?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
soundcheck said:

1. Are you running Ubuntu Studio and/or rt-kernel? If not -- try it.
2. Checkout the ram playback tweak
3. Regarding 24/96.

Below the output of /proc/asound/card0/stream0 towards my M-Audio Transit while running 24/96 to a TAS1020. Any more questions?

1. Yes. :)
2. Not yet, but will try asap!
3. How cool! Any special tweaks required to get it working properly? Perhaps a dev version of alsa?

Thanks!

Yeah you shouldn't get any audio benefits from running low latency. In my experience it's the opposite really. The ASIO buffer is there to avoid dropouts. And it shouldn't mess up sync of lips either. Really I only brought up audio/video because it requires more bandwidth. You can get up to that same bandwidth with 192k 24bit.

But also a small amount of the time I have set too large of a buffer in applications and this can too cause drop out in rare cases. Sometimes a nice healthy medium buffer on ASIO and the app works best.

I guess I brought up DPC latency and silent ram errors because I see them as overlooked. And imperative imo. If your OS does not run a low DPC latency you are likely to get interference from simple audio tasks like playing 192k 24bit no matter what buffer settings you use. I have experienced this with Vista 64 when really my system shows no other signs of being pushed to anywhere near it's full processing power.

MPD remote control with iPod/Phone and MPoD

Hi folks. ( Below is a copy of a post I issued at AA while the forum was down)

For the ones of you owning an iPhone or iPod-Touch give MPoD to control MPD a try.

MPoD controls remotely via WLAN the Music-Player-Daemon. It is freeware and available in the Apple store.

Homepage: http://www.katoemba.net/makesnosenseatall/mpod/

Beside the standard controls (play/stop/next....) you can configure different servers. That means you can control all your stereos with one remote from any place in the house. No need for another system such as Sonos anymore.

Of course you can also select your output of choice as these are defined in mpd.conf. MPoD lists them all.

Pretty cool.

It's current number-of-tracks limit seems to be 10.000 tracks.
This might be an issue for some of the folks around here.

Unfortunately (from my perspective) MPoD doesn't seem to support a "folder view" . That would mean that you need to work either with playlists or tagged files (flac+mp3) if your collection is stored tagless as .wav files.
Of course - you can also use the "Search" function. That one will list all filenames you're looking for. These you just need to add to the "current" playlist.

I am currently checking out if the "folder view" or tagless file support could be added as a feature.

MPoD also supports albumarts. Albumarts are taken from Amazon.

So - what else do I need to get my house under (audio-)control - actually from my perspective I am finally settled.

I again would like to express how thankful I am to all the folks putting huge efforts into supplying and maintaining freeware and opensource software.

Enjoy.

I think MPod is a great tool (girlfriend uses it on her Iphone).

There are some features that do not fit well to my bad sense for coordination on touchscreen devices, as I keep missing the pause button and press stop instead which clears the current playlist, but all in all it is the preferred way to quickly operate MPD audio in or home now.

There are some features that do not fit well to my bad sense for coordination on touchscreen devices, as I keep missing the pause button and press stop instead which clears the current playlist, but all in all it is the preferred way to quickly operate MPD audio in or home now.

Did you give feedback about the issues to the guy?

Folks.

Check this one out: A czech radio station broadcasting a 44/16 flac stream (classic)
( Posted at AA)

The gear they use is based on Linux.

A small MPD HowTo:

1. Under /home/xxxx/.mpd/playlists generate playlist file:

touch Radio-Classic-Cesnet-Cro-D-Dur-flac-4416.m3u

2. Get the link into that file:

echo "http://amp1.cesnet.cz:8000/cro-d-dur.flac" > Radio-Classic-Cesnet-Cro-D-Dur-flac-4416.m3u

3. Start mpd

mpd

Update the database

mpc update

Enjoy.

soundcheck,

thanks for the info. The guy describing the technical details http://www.cesnet.cz/doc/techzpravy/2008/using-flac-encoding/ was actually my teacher at the university many years ago :)

iftop shows the flac stream runs between 500 - 800kbps, that is nice. Still, the best "streamed" sound I can get is the FM transmission of Bayern 4 Klassik, received on a 3-meters FM aerial from the distance of over 100km. I don't know how the bavarian guys do it but they just defeat all the imperfections of FM (small dynamic range, bandwidth limited to 15kHz). The sound of Bayern 4 is easily comparable to my CD player, or even better many times as I do not have such quality tracks.

Great thread. May go the Linux road one of these days. SoundCheck did you succeed in finding you MicroATX motherboard that is doing all you wanted (HDMI, go sound, etc.). If yes, do you have the exact description of the hardware you currently using? Sorry but the thread is really long, and I'm still trying to understand all the issues and details. Thanks in advance.

Great thread. May go the Linux road one of these days. SoundCheck did you succeed in finding you MicroATX motherboard that is doing all you wanted (HDMI, go sound, etc.). If yes, do you have the exact description of the hardware you currently using? Sorry but the thread is really long, and I'm still trying to understand all the issues and details. Thanks in advance.

No - I still did not go for the MicroAtx.
I am currently playing around with a FitPC2 and Tiny Core Linux to feed my USB DACs.
Beside that I use my Thinkpad T60P and Linux Mint ( which gets stripped down and optimized during playback).

HDMI is put on ICE. Let see how things are developing.

My current best Linux config is:
2.6.31-rt kernel -- MPD -- ecasound||brutefir -- tracks from /dev/shm

Hi

I am a non-Linux guy but I wan't to try it. Is there a CD image of a good working audio distribution?

My plan is a miniITX Atom setup with Zotac ION-Board and S/PDIF outout that fires my DAC. Today I am trying Foobar2000 and BASS develoment kit with ASIO4ALL. Sounds good!

Hello soundcheck,

I kind of lost track of it.. :)

Me to. ;)

Hello soundcheck,

what's your hardware configuration these days?

My HW config:

DESKTOP:
Active Adam A5 speakers ( these reveal finest details price/performance ratio is IMO just great)
M-Audio Transit (modified output OpAmp, coupling caps, decoupling caps, battery power supply)
Opticis optical USB cable for galvanic isolation

(My EMU-0404 is up for sale)

Main rig:

Bastanis Apollo (DIY version ) & DIY subwoofers (ripole/Linkwitz style)
USB receiver with EC-designs reclocker, Opticis isolated and a 1543 DAC or TP Buffalo with ZAP-filter.
Amp: Tripath 2021B
Amp subs: IcePower
Crossover subs only: Behringer DCX 2496

Main supply is a Northstar NSB 90 battery.

Cabling is all Voodoo Cable Silver Solid Core. DAC and AMP are built into one box to avoid interconnects.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hi

I am a non-Linux guy but I wan't to try it. Is there a CD image of a good working audio distribution?

My plan is a miniITX Atom setup with Zotac ION-Board and S/PDIF outout that fires my DAC. Today I am trying Foobar2000 and BASS develoment kit with ASIO4ALL. Sounds good!

I always recommend Linux Mint. This is IMO the most attractive and stable distribution ( an Ubuntu derivate).

I am thinking about moving to Linux for my next PC build.

Do I start by reading this thread or is there a better way to get me up to speed for setting up a "Linux" PC?

I'd recommend to wait until the the Wiki is back up and running. (I will also reshape it a bit) To a large extent the Wiki I'd call a kind of essence of what have been discussed and implemented during the period since I started up the thread.

It is a good idea to start with a stable system such as Linux Mint based on Ubuntu.
It's easy to install and most of the non-free codecs are already installed.
Almost Plug'n Play.

Ubuntu Studio Karmic is coming out soon ( Beta 1st of October and final 28th of October) probably with a 2.6.31 realtime kernel. This is gonna be a real good base system for audio.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.