Linux Audio the way to go!?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good points, Soundcheck,

I'll start a wiki about my Panasonic amp mods soon - I guess then I'll know what you are saying re the structure of the wiki & it's awkwardness!

I have 2 issues I can't seem to fix
- getting my internal wifi card (Intel PRO 220BG) connecting to the internet?
- compiling Amarok - seesm to stop with a message about KDE

I guess if I solve the internet connection first then reporting my errors on Amarok compile would be easier - at the moment I have to reboot to windows to get on-line

Compiling Amarok?

Just run from a terminal:
$sudo apt-get install amarok

Wifi: You need to Google it up.

Some hints though:

Perhaps you have to put the ipw2200 ( if this is the driver for your card) module into /etc/modules

Check if it is loaded.

$ lsmod | grep ipw2200

if not - above command wouldn't list anything - do following

To make a module being loaded at boot-time do:

Backup of /etc/modules first:
$ sudo cp /etc/modules /etc/modules.orig
$ sudo gedit /etc/modules
---Enter:

ipw2200

--- at the bottom, save and exit.

Check if you find your driver in the last line of the file:
$ less /etc/modules

Reboot.

$ sudo shutdown -r 0

You can also load a module on the fly:
$ sudo modprobe ipw2200
$ sudo depmod -a
$ lsmod | grep ipw2200

Now you should see the loaded modules.

Comment: The kernel is compiled with 100s of modules, which
you might need to manually load. Just a few are loaded on a
permanent basis, which makes the kernel smaller.

Thanks Soundcheck,
Sorry for the noob Unix questions, guys, but.....

IPW2200 was running already & I changed Wifi router from WAP securiy to no security temporarily but still no access - it senses the router showing about 65% signal (Netgear DG834N) but can't seem to connect?

I tried your Amarok install command but got a error - AFAIR it said unresolved Ubuntu - I probably have to run the install with the full path to the Amarok executable? but I haven't found it yet. Am I wrong? or did I download sources? - I'm not at my computer so can't give the download link - no I tell a lie, just searched & this is the link Edit: removed link as it was to Ubuntu, not Amarok

Can somebody point me to Amarok link for Hardy Heron Ubuntustudio?

OK, so I have to get this Intel Pro wireless 2200BG card communicating with the Netgear DG384N WiFi router - any ideas what to try/ where to go next?

Also, one other question - I'm trying to remember the link for the version of Ubuntu that was recommended to try for Windows users - it didn't do a full install but created a folder on the windows disk & gave a dual boot option? It was about a 680 Mb download (I've deleted it & cleared my recycle bin & my download history does not show it)

The reason I ask is because this is the Ubuntu I installed & was very impressed by the sound from the Sigma-tel built-in audio on the Dell Inspiron 6000. I'm not so sure the sound from the stock Ubuntustudio is as good but I just wanted to compare them!

It would also be a good intro to people scarred off the whole installation process!

Try the Ubuntu forum? There is brilliant community support.

there is loads on the IPW2200 linux driver if you google. Seems quite a lot of people have had problems with it, but it is meant to be supported without too much configuration. Here is one example:

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/1414/

You could try plugging your laptop straight into the router or modem through an ethernet cable, this will get you online and allow you to install amarok. Realise you will probably want to sort your wireless for long term use, but the ubuntu forum is likely to have a number of threads with the problem already resolved.

Is the ubuntu you are talking of not just the live CD which allows you to load into ram so you can try without installing? The normal ubuntu CD allows this - just select boot from CD ROM from your BIOS.

Some tips regarding the ipw2200 module:

Make sure the firmware is installed. Intel wifi firmware is not opensource, so it's usually not included in mainstream Linux distributions. Get it here -
http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/firmware.php
If you have a recent kernel, you will want the latest v3.0 firmware. Just to be sure, you can run "modinfo ipw2200" to check the module version.

EDIT: with most distros the firmware should be put in /lib/firmware

For WEP/WPA/WPA2 encryption some additional encryption-related modules need to be loaded, which should normally happen automatically ... but sometimes the michael_mic module needs to be loaded manually.

OK, it looks like there are reports of wifi problems with Hardy Heron so I guess I should go back a revision to Gutsy Gibbon?

If it doesn't work I'm not bothered - life is too short for loading drivers, firmware, modules, etc.

I don't think it was a live CD version as I didn't have to burn a CD - just download & install!

I did install ubuntustudio-audio yesterday and the wifi connection icon disappeared :(

The sound through audacious (44,1KHz: USB-> -ecdesigns-' DI16 ultimate NOS DAC) is clearly better: denser images; more defined high-mids, etc.
There is a feature on audacious, the "buffer time" or something like this that can be selected...any advice? (I have not yet the RAM DISK tweak )

Thanks,
M

jkeny said:
OK, it looks like there are reports of wifi problems with Hardy Heron so I guess I should go back a revision to Gutsy Gibbon?

If it doesn't work I'm not bothered - life is too short for loading drivers, firmware, modules, etc.

I don't think it was a live CD version as I didn't have to burn a CD - just download & install!

That's actually one of the reasons why I am running the ZEN-Kernel.

If there is a patch for a certain problem, ZEN will be months ahead
of mainline kernel of implementing itl and even further ahead of Ubuntu.

If you want to squeeze most out of Linux you need get into it.

Linux still hasn't overcome it's weaknesses. Sometime it's really annoying. Though It's getting better every year. ;)

Hi Max.

Audacious Preferences:

Audio:

Tick Enable "Bypass all of Signal processing if possible"

All buffers as small as possible.
Under Alsa Driver Config - Advanced you can also try to get Buffers
down

Disable Replay Gain under Replay Gain.

You should also turn these Visualization effects off. ( Right Click on the header - Visualization Mode "None"

Under View Disable AutoScroll Songname

You should start it from a terminal with

$ sudo chrt -f 75 audacious

Unfortunately there is still no realtime-option as it is available in
XMMS, which made a big difference.

Perhaps you also try to disable as many plugins as possible.

Otherwise you can also try installing XMMS.

Cheers

Hey guys,
installed Wubi, and this is more like it - Wifi works out of the box - RhythmBox plays & sounds great. Only issues is that it's not a fully realised Linux, I think as it creates a folder within Windows! Still it's a great intro for anybody looking to taste the wonderful world of Linux & see how a real OS is designed & works - no crashes, very speedy, etc

Edit: So from this I conclude that the RT option is missing some essential modules, as stated above, but I don't know what they are!

Max.

No idea why you can't get the RAMdisk to work. This is really not at all
a difficult task. ;)

Lets try again:

$ sudo gnome-terminal

Now you switch to the new terminal, with all the rights you can get on the system:

$ cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.orig
$ echo "tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults,size=512m 0 0" >> /etc/fstab

Check if it worked:

$ less /etc/fstab

the number gives ramdisk size in MB. Can be half your RAM max.

If it's there:

Reboot

After that you check with

$ mount

if its there.

Alternative:

RAMDISK:

Try is way:
Open a terminal

$cd
$ln -s /dev/shm RAM
$ cd <your_musicdir>
$ cp <your_audiofile.wav> ~/RAM

Now you look for that file in Audacious and play it.

Cheers

Thanks guys, for all your advices :)

Soundcheck,
I'll try my best not to disappoint you this time :angel:

I read your post about XMMS not being fully supported for now on... (am I wrong?) I will try it anyway for the real time option.

Phofman,
Ubuntustudio-audio came with linux-rt kernel, as far as I remember...
I did thought about installing another linux-rt, but feared of a conflict of some kind (apart the "restricted" sound dangerous to me! :D )

I'm a total ignorant, you know...

Regards,
M

I do not think linux-rt has a different set of modules than the regular -generic kernel. Of course, it is highly likely the restricted-modules package for the regular kernel is installed by default, whereas you have to install linux-restricted-modules-rt manually. As for its name "restricted" - it contains modules with non-GPL licences (e.g. nvidia, atheros wifi etc. - for details see http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/i386/linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-16-rt/filelist ) There is no need to worry about the word "restricted".

Linux is no woodoo and there is no need to make one of it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.