Linux audio is the way go, No its not

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know what it's true uses are in the marketplace. But a replacement for Windows is exactly what it's been claimed to be by many for the past decade.

There was a chance of gaining desktop usage reputability on linux side during "Windose Vista" days but it didn't happen. Somehow, linux can't match desktop usability of windows. Maybe, it is related with that graphical user interface is part of windows kernel, rather than a third party user application like all linux distributions. It's almost one and half decades that linux distros promoting PC usage but yet it hasn't accomplished properly basic desktop operations like drag-ing and drop-ing files (dnd).

When you just want to pick up and drop a file icon one from file browser window to another one, you'll see that file browser window rises and gets focus permanently and covers other one which you are going to drop the file. You have to cancel operation and move the windows separate places for not covering each other. This problem still exists.

Last edited:
... Somehow, linux can't match desktop usability of windows. ...

This is just your impression because the "windows way" to do things is
what you are used to. As a long term linux user (including my work) I just
feel the other way round when I have to use Windows for some reason.
(Lack of control, tools that I´m used to have them available, the "driver" mess,
reboots for almost every update, etc.)

That is just the way it is. I have been using linux for 12 years on desktop and working in GUI without at least 4 virtual desktops is absolute PITA for me. Task-unrelated windows tossed together, always getting into my way.

But I understand why someone who never used virtual desktops would not see their added value.

This is just your impression because the "windows way" to do things is
what you are used to. As a long term linux user (including my work) I just
feel the other way round when I have to use Windows for some reason.
(Lack of control, tools that I´m used to have them available, the "driver" mess,
reboots for almost every update, etc.)

I'm talking about how each operating system handle user interaction in terms of simple desktop basics. Like the example i have given, a very simple drag and drop file operation is not "windows way". If such OS isn't capable of to do properly a very fundamental thing, its user interaction approach questions me inherently. Btw, I'm not a windows user. I do my jobs using command line operations, including playing music ,movies,etc as I used to do.

Last edited:
I'm talking about how each operating system handle user interaction in terms of simple desktop basics.

I never noticed a problem with drag&drop. The reason may be I never use that IMO extremely unproductive way of interacting with computer. But I understand my way of operation is not standard among users.

If by linux you mean ubuntu, simple google search "ubuntu raise window under cursor" reveals many tutorials. Also "kde raise window under cursor", "lxde raise window under cursor", etc.

Last edited:
I like both Os!

I installed Windows XP in the week it became final and used it without any reinstall for 8 years. At some point i switched to Win7.

For me as gamer Windows still is the best. On this machine i do all working and audio editing also.

On my little Linux machine i have a Squeezebox server running. This machine is based on an Ubuntu distro and is running fine since 2007. This machine was meant as audio server only but meanwhile i see myself pretty often using it for internet things or scanning because my good old scanner works perfectly with Xscan but no more under Windows.

Luckily i don´t have the problem how the sound is handled by the OS because all my Linux is doing is pushing audio files to my network streamer.

I use linux for web server (ARM), MPD music server (ARM), file server (ARM) and for cross compilations (Intel) to ARM (compiling a kernel for ARM in 2 - 3 seconds - if done on the ARM system it takes forever :) ).

These servers run headless where the kernel are compiled without graphic support - then the whole RAM size can be used for the applications. With only 1 or 2GB RAM on the ARM systems there are no RAM to waste...

I normally use SSH and a serial to USB console when debugging...

I went from hating linux to loving it...
It is the "desktops" that was PIA - only different degrees of useless....
Just the same "feeling" I had when my favorite MSDOS applications was released in Windows versions - buggy and buggy and 90% of the commands, speed and control was gone.

Soon I will enable graphics again and use a touch LCD on the MPD server to display cover art and function control (also IR remote) of the music system (replacing the Arduino) - clock control and DAC register control etc...
The fun with linux and the ARM system I use are that I can code and compile a kernel to use the integrated I2S (audio) and I2C (control) for use with MPD. With galvanic isolation and synchronous clocking from the DAC and I2C control of the DAC this will be a great fun to finish.
There are some obstacles that requires modifications all around in the kernel source code to go beyond 192k/32bit, but this concept uses DMA and only generates 10 - 15 interrupts pr. second and works already and sounds great even before it is optimized.

The linux Intel system are a virtual installation running on OSX (Parallels).
I uses OSX for everything that works there and virtual Windows for the few applications where there are no good OSX versions.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I tested a lot of linux flavors and distros and was not too pleased with what I got. As it was for playing music I tested Voyage MPD and mpdPuP, but I was still not satisfied... But I was aware of the fact that I then needed to adapt to what others had defined.. So I took the big job to learn and then modify kernel source code and compile my own kernels, to build the base system with debootstrap and setup everything manually, to modify the MPD source code and compile etc.. In the end I had a linux system totally customized for me and my own use - and was satisfied..

So my advice are: Either you use a linux distro that works with very little knowledge and you must accept what others have defined, or you use time and learn enough to build your own customized linux..

A much simpler solution:

1) Install Linux Mint 14 XFCE Build

2) Upgrade to Kernel 3.7.4 (there are scripts available which make it dead simple)

3) Install DeaDBeeF

4) Configure DeaDBeeF output options as per your preferences, which allows full control of the hardware (ie. direct harware output with no software conversions)

5) Enjoy full-speed, bit perfect, USB2Audio and 100% system stability

Joined 2011
Paid Member
There was a chance of gaining desktop usage reputability on linux side during "Windose Vista" days but it didn't happen. Somehow, linux can't match desktop usability of windows. Maybe, it is related with that graphical user interface is part of windows kernel, rather than a third party user application like all linux distributions. It's almost one and half decades that linux distros promoting PC usage but yet it hasn't accomplished properly basic desktop operations like drag-ing and drop-ing files (dnd).

When you just want to pick up and drop a file icon one from file browser window to another one, you'll see that file browser window rises and gets focus permanently and covers other one which you are going to drop the file. You have to cancel operation and move the windows separate places for not covering each other. This problem still exists.

You are complaining about a feature of your choice of desktop environment or window manager, not about Linux.

There are many, many choices of desktop environments in Linux, so do not judge Linux by a single experience with one of those options. You are judging the desktop environment and then making statements about Linux. Ridiculous.

That is just the way it is.

What? You mean that's the way it was handed down from Mount Olympus?

The whole point is that it could be different, but as long as people keep shrugging, shaking their heads and saying 'That is just the way it is', then that's the way it's going to stay.

The unfortunate truth is that Linux guys keep it that way, because they like it that way, because it gives them the opportunity to blather on about the hours they spent learning to work it. Nobody gives a damn. We just want you to commit to getting it changed. Verstehen Sie?

Joined 2011
Paid Member
What? You mean that's the way it was handed down from Mount Olympus?

The whole point is that it could be different, but as long as people keep shrugging, shaking their heads and saying 'That is just the way it is', then that's the way it's going to stay.

The unfortunate truth is that Linux guys keep it that way, because they like it that way, because it gives them the opportunity to blather on about the hours they spent learning to work it. Nobody gives a damn. We just want you to commit to getting it changed. Verstehen Sie?

Your perspective on this is indeed quite unique. Do you really think this way, or are you trolling?

It always surprises me when I see people whining about Linux being difficult to use. My daughters are 10 and 11 years old and have been using Linux since they were 2 and 3. They have no problem using it. My wife uses it as well. She loves it.

This notion that Linux is difficult to use is pure rubbish.

Last edited:
You are complaining about a feature of your choice of desktop environment or window manager, not about Linux.

There are many, many choices of desktop environments in Linux, so do not judge Linux by a single experience with one of those options.

I'm just giving a simple specific example. I could add many. So, you give me an example of desktop environment that situation doesn't exist on it. LXDE? XFCE? RazorQT? Mate? Cinnamon? E17? Actually, I have no a specific desktop environment addiction. A simple mplayer script takes care of my playback needs.

My criticism is related with how linux distributions interact with users rather than linux kernel. Linux is the name of the kernel.

Last edited:
My daughters are 10 and 11 years old and have been using Linux since they were 2 and 3. They have no problem using it. My wife uses it as well. She loves it.

Hehe, probably your kids & wife got super power ?:D:D

Just kidding, but : using a desktop it not difficult, finding the best distro among 100, the best audio setup with Linux and installing it properly is not so easy unfortunately ...

In a way, EAC and MP3TAG are not so user friendly too, but they are easy to install.

You say "There are many, many choices of desktop environments in Linux" : Indeed there are way too much, and everyone with good intents will get lost in there, and anyway it is not the key point of Linux Audio optimization.

BR

If even me can use and configure it it must be simple.
What should impress even the most sceptical these days is to play around with a distro and use something comfortable like the "Ubuntu-Software-Center"
You don´t have to know anything. Look what kind of software you want click it and it magically installs itself.

If i have some boretime to fill i play with the OS itself.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I'm just giving a simple specific example. I could add many. So, you give me an example of desktop environment that situation doesn't exist on it. LXDE? XFCE? RazorQT? Mate? Cinnamon? E17? Actually, I have no a specific desktop environment addiction. A simple mplayer script takes care of my playback needs.

My criticism is related with how linux distributions interact with users rather than linux kernel. Linux is the name of the kernel.

Each distribution has a default or preferred desktop environment, but that does not limit someone to using it.

I actually do not know which of the desktop environments support drag and drop, because I learned to right-click when I was 14 or 15. I am 43 now, so it has been quite some time before drag n' drop was an essential feature for me. Hmm, let me think.... Yes, it was in Commodore GEOS that I last dragged n' dropped anything...

However, the point is that some people still do this and yes, it should work. Like I said, I do not know (or care, frankly) which linux desktop environments support the feature and which ones do not, but I would be willing to make a considerable wager that it is not that difficult to find one that does.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Hehe, probably your kids & wife got super power ?:D:D

Just kidding, but : using a desktop it not difficult, finding the best distro among 100, the best audio setup with Linux and installing it properly is not so easy unfortunately ...

But it is. See post #51. :D

In a way, EAC and MP3TAG are not so user friendly too, but they are easy to install.

You say "There are many, many choices of desktop environments in Linux" : Indeed there are way too much, and everyone with good intents will get lost in there, and anyway it is not the key point of Linux Audio optimization.

BR

Correct. It is not the key point of Linux audio optimization. On the other hand, some desktop environments make a lot more sense than others on a music server, due to resource usage, etc.

For what it is worth, for the purposes of a music server I prefer something lightweight, fast, simple, and stable. XFCE fits the bill. Running KDE, Gnome, Cimmamon, etc. is a waste of resources, in my opinion.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.