Linux apps useful for speaker/amplifier analsys

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A couple of questions:

1. Before I invest many hours getting Qloud compiled and installed on my Gentoo linux box is there any chance that it will run on my ancient AMD 266MHz machine ?

2. Any recomendations for a good sound card under Linux with ALSA and JACK ? Perhaps something external and USB.

I have been using an old Sound Blaster Live for a long time but an upgrade to recent kernels and ALSA don't work at all well, lots of glitches. These are described by the baudline guys here: http://www.baudline.com/solutions/full_duplex/sb_live/index.html

garlandstephens,

Every distributive has it's own rules :)

heater,

I have no chance to try the app at such ancient PC. At any case, I'd recommend at least 256MB of RAM and not to use very long excitation signsl (say, not above 7 seconds).

As for installing - look at http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-427211.html
QLoud is included to this 'proaudio' portage overlay.

As for sound card - I hate all Creative cards :) But I think any card will be sufficient. You will be able to test a card itself. To be sure a card is supported I'd suggest to use alsa-user mailing list.

feature requests

Anli-

Here are some thoughts for additional features for your very useful program:

1) 2nd channel record so that one can be used as a loopback reference channel for use with DRC

2) data outputs of the analyses in the graphs, so that they can be used as input for Octave or a spreadsheet

These are not criticisms - the program is very useful already.

garlandstephens,

My English isn't perfect :), I have not understood your suggestion concerning second record channel. All intermediate files are saved in working directory: last excitation, last inverse filter, last system response. As well as "more permanent" results: IR and last trimmed (time-gated) IR. All files have standard WAV float32 format.

Speaking more generally, as a common case in the open source software world, features are dictated by my own current DIY-ing needs. Now, I'm thinking about mic calibration file and treating (plotting) a measurement as impedance. You see, one hand takes a solderer, while anoher one - a mouse ;)

And ... thanks for kind words!

How to use baudline

I am having trouble loading the website so I'll have to try it again later. I use Baudline myself and find it to be a very nice program. It works through OSS.

Picking up on an old thread.

I'm trying to use baudline for speaker testing/measurement but finding it hard going. The manuals and the examples all start too deep. I just dont "get" how to use it.

Any tips?

Thanks,

Simple

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.