Linkwitz Orions beaten by Behringer.... what!!?

the weather has been awful here every weekends.. :(

logics, only logics.. music should come from everywhere, not only from two points in a room. unless we are talking ambiophonics here?

If the wave field at our two ears is identical to the natural wave field then reproduction would be indistinguishable from reality. This is what binaural recordings do. Only two points needed.

The question is if stereo's working hypothesis is correct. Is stereo capable of reproducing a natural sound event including all its spatial characteristics under anechoic conditions? If it is not capable of such reproduction characteristics, the implications would be profound. It would imply that additional cues need to be present in order to produce a realistic sounding auditory event from a stereo recording.
To this day nobody has ever shown that stereo's working hypothesis is wrong. Or at least I'm not aware of it.

Is stereo capable of reproducing a natural sound event including all its spatial characteristics under anechoic conditions? If it is not capable of such reproduction characteristics, the implications would be profound. It would imply that additional cues need to be present in order to produce a realistic sounding auditory event from a stereo recording.
To this day nobody has ever shown that stereo's working hypothesis is wrong. Or at least I'm not aware of it.
Even mono reproduction can do it. If one has happened to achieve "invisible" speakers then one can walk right up to the front of one channel, so that that the ratio of direct to reverberant sound is very large, a rough equivalent to anechoic, and there will be still be spatial characteristics, and natural sound ...

Frank

The question is if stereo's working hypothesis is correct.

One important thing to realise is as Blumlein in 1930's described the working principle of stereo, the theory is based on generating ITD cues from amplitude panned signals. And that only. Everything else has been added on it later including wishes that it could do more than it can.

Stereo is nothing but amplitude (difference) to phase (difference) conversion.

- Elias

Even mono reproduction can do it. If one has happened to achieve "invisible" speakers then one can walk right up to the front of one channel, so that that the ratio of direct to reverberant sound is very large, a rough equivalent to anechoic, and there will be still be spatial characteristics, and natural sound ...

Frank

Are you talking about a specific speaker? In a room or outdoors? Please describe/link that specific speaker model.

Are you talking about a specific speaker? In a room or outdoors? Please describe/link that specific speaker model.
No, specific experience, in a room. This is a function of the state of tune of the system as a whole, most important is its ability to reproduce low level details with sufficiently low audible distortion. If the latter condition is met, then my experience and similarly of a few others is that the audible clues are sufficient for the mind to recreate a "spatial scene" from that single source; it's relatively rare to encounter it normally because the quality of reproduction in key areas has to be sufficiently high.

Typically it will be more likely with better quality, high efficiency speakers.

Frank

What blinders? Did I claim that room responses are entirely minimum phase? No.

Go back to this post for example. I've said that "rooms do exhibit minimum phase regions". Which makes them correctable with equalization. This is by the way why the topic came up. Omholt claimed that it's per se not possible to correct room problems with EQ.

Furthermore I've linked the Mulcahy article multiple times. The article clearly shows that there are minimum phase regions and non-minimum phase regions. It even explains how adding two minimum phase responses creates large deviations from minimum phase behavior.

So what made you think I would claim room responses were completely minimum phase per se? I never did.

Regions of the frequency response may be minimum phase, not the room response.

Yes stereo is a poor wavefield reconstruction at low freqs.

It is poor because it cannot reproduce the principal features of the wavefield correctly for example the velocity vector of the generated wavefield is wrong.

So the question would be "Is the distorted wave field reconstruction still capable of transmitting not only horizontal localization cues but other spatial characteristics like depth, ASW, LEV"?

Regions of the frequency response may be minimum phase, not the room response.

Seriously? That's simply nitpicking. The question was "Can EQ fix frequency AND time domain problems?". My answer was "Yes" because there are minimum phase regions.

I'm sorry if my wording wasn't exact enough but English is not my first language and reading through your posts I think it neither is yours.

Hard to say, this is purely a subjective evalution: with a typical speaker, of a stereo pair, in a room there will a degree of natural perspective at a normal listening position. If one then deliberatively moves towards and directly in front of one of the speakers then there will be a point where the sound of the drivers in front of you will completely dominate, will be the only thing you can hear; it will impossible to make yourself aware of sound coming from anywhere else in the room, that is related to the reproduction, either from the other speaker or reflections. This I would deem a sufficient condition.

Frank

Yes, if you are able to reroduce signals below about 1kHz without too much of room influence, then yes low freq localisation cues dominate.

It all comes to the question about the loudspeaker directivity below 1kHz.

- Elias

I doubt that our auditory system can have two different modes of hearing running at the same time in the same space.

When one walks into a reverberant space - that is any normal room, even one with extensive audiophile acoustic treatments - then our auditory system unconsciosuly switches into the "reverberant space" mode.

I doubt that switching a stereo sound reproducing system on can result in a change of this "reverberant space" mode of hearing into a "(semi)-anechoic space" mode.

Do You think it can?