Linkwitz Orions beaten by Behringer.... what!!?

Elias,
The question in my eye is whether the reflections actually cause a phase shift at all or if this is just a complex overlay of one signal on top of the other? Why would the delayed signal shift the original, why would it not just add a second source as all music does with complex signal?

At the end we have to consider the ear signals, everything going in is summed. Allways signal and its delayed version are summed together the total signal have different phase than the original signal. This is what happends when a reflection reaches at the listening position. Think two sinusoids summed together at different phases, it is the simplest example.

- Elias

At the end we have to consider the ear signals, everything going in is summed. Allways signal and its delayed version are summed together
Sorry Elias,
this is plain old summing location. It has been shown that this doesn't work in each and every listening situation. If the localisation cues become too vague, summing will not happen in that stage.

Rudolf

Interesting thesis and the cited Mr. Smyth isn't just "somebody".

Having some downtime at work today, I did a quick read of Smyth's thesis. Very interesting, but I do have one concern.

Smyth divided his frequency bands oddly, based on transition frequency points from various other researchers, rather than by equal octaves. In music, at least, hearing tends to divide the frequency spectrum by octaves. For instance, his lowest band "A" (20 to 800Hz) is about 5.5 octaves wide while his highest band (12kHz to 20kHz) is less than one octave!

Changes were made by moving blocks of the spectrum in whole over to the offset speaker and recording the listeners reports on how the sound image appeared to move. I think, all other things equal, I'd hear a change from relocating 5 octaves over more than from relocating just one. Particularly if the one is about where most people's hearing normally goes weak (and is probably not given much attention because of that).

Smyth did some analysis to show that in his white noise tests there was more energy and more calculated loudness in his chosen higher band blocks, but I don't know that is relevant. It is a matter of detecting changes that is being investigated. The loudness of the bands were the same for both moved and not-moved cases, having bands seem louder doesn't imply (to me at least) that they should be more detectable as having moved. But having the part moved span a lot of octaves might swing the bias.

?

Last edited:
I truly believe that it is not possible in a normal room. Doing all you can to optimize the room is one thing, but reaching a goal of removing the interaction of the room below 1Khz seems to be out of the realm of possibility. I do not believe that this can be done.

It's possible, but under our context - not likely. (..there are some *extremely* directional techniques available, so directional that any reflection off-of your body and on to any room surface would be so attenuated that it would be inaudible.)

I think a less extreme version however could be achieved.

Having some downtime at work today, I did a quick read of Smyth's thesis. Very interesting, but I do have one concern.

Smyth divided his frequency bands oddly, based on transition frequency points from various other researchers, rather than by equal octaves. In music, at least, hearing tends to divide the frequency spectrum by octaves. For instance, his lowest band "A" (20 to 800Hz) is about 5.5 octaves wide while his highest band (12kHz to 20kHz) is less than one octave!

Changes were made by moving blocks of the spectrum in whole over to the offset speaker and recording the listeners reports on how the sound image appeared to move. I think, all other things equal, I'd hear a change from relocating 5 octaves over more than from relocating just one.

Smyth did some analysis to show that in his white noise tests there was more energy and more calculated loudness in his chosen higher band blocks, but I don't know that is relevant. It is a matter of detecting changes that is being investigated. The loudness of the bands were the same for both moved and not-moved cases, having bands seem louder doesn't imply (to me at least) that they should be more detectable as having moved. But having the part moved span a lot of octaves might swing the bias.

?

That's not Smyth.. Stephen Smyth (..of Smyth Realizer) was mentioned from a conference paper he gave in relation to DTS surround that prompted the thesis paper by *Hartman*. ;)

I truly believe that it is not possible in a normal room. Doing all you can to optimize the room is one thing, but reaching a goal of removing the interaction of the room below 1Khz seems to be out of the realm of possibility. I do not believe that this can be done.

Near field comes to mind.
Anyway, removing the room equals making it anechoic. Not practical. But the problem really is distortion of the interchannel stereo signal as it is filtered by room interaction. If we can undo that filter, improvements can be made.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'll add more water to the mill.
Thanks for posting that. I'll try to catch up with the thread and read the paper.
It seems like a breath of fresh air to me - because for years people have told me that it's the high frequencies and the tweeters that aid location clues. I just don't hear it that way. Tweeters add texture and tone for me, not space or location. I hear space and location clues down low, mostly in the octave around 400Hz.

Since that's where I hear the location clues I have long been puzzled why tweeters don't do much for me, except change tone. The study looks worthwhile to pursue.

Pano,
A simple clicker test somewhat answers about the higher frequencies being used for localization. Have someone wall around a room with a clicker and I don't think for a second you won't be able to localize that sound no matter how reflective the room may be. Now move a band pass subwoofer that has a fairly low frequency output and I bet that is much harder to localize in the same room. But I would say that our hearing is fairly good at localizing anything above 200hz without much trouble in that same reflective room.

Pano,
A simple clicker test somewhat answers about the higher frequencies being used for localization. Have someone wall around a room with a clicker and I don't think for a second you won't be able to localize that sound no matter how reflective the room may be. Now move a band pass subwoofer that has a fairly low frequency output and I bet that is much harder to localize in the same room. But I would say that our hearing is fairly good at localizing anything above 200hz without much trouble in that same reflective room.

I thought the matter is phantom source localisation, not real source.

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
The VOTT may image very well. How do you know that it is the 200-300 Hz range that accounts for that? There are way to many variables to draw such a conclusion. And I am not sure how much directivity effect the small waveguide would actually have over a direct radiating 15" speaker. I'd like to actually see some data. Many have said that my speakers image exceedingly well and they have no big directivity control at 200 Hz. All of these speakers have "good" directivity control where it counts and this is the difference, not 200-300 Hz.

All I can say is there was a certain cognitive ease when listening to the VOTT. It made sense. The illusion that there is a real instrument in space that I can point to and say, "there it is" was unshakable. And while I have heard great imaging from econowaves crossed at 1 kHz, that cognitive ease is not there.

Thanks. Did you also measure the right speaker?
Not yet. I'm applying small changes to the frequency response or move the speakers from time to time. So measurements were as of today. Can do the right side easily tomorrow.
Is the response corrected with Acourate?
Tells me that you haven't seen the response curves yet :eek: :rolleyes: :xeye:
No, Acourate is for boys ;). I still try to understand what's happening in my room and how to correct flaws at their origin before I let the machine bend my space.

Rudolf

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Many have said that my speakers image exceedingly well and they have no big directivity control at 200 Hz..
They do image well, but not as well as the VOTT, in my opinion. To what's that due, I don't know. Probably a combination of factors. The VOTT has a sense of scale that smaller speakers lack - it should! - considering its size. The comparison is basically unfair, taking into account the size and complexity of each.