Linkwitz Orions beaten by Behringer.... what!!?

Thats some small print. I can't read it.
I see the drawings but I can't make out what the descriptions are.
:confused:

It has a zoom function in the upper left of the web page. ;)

The lower interest in the IMP might not be that weird.. I don't think many people have ever even heard of the AES paper(s).

Plus, one look at it - and it appears totally "home-brew" and cheap. Just like in "love", that first look determines a lot. :p

No it isn't.

..and you very well know that. :mad:

Lynn Olsen did not like the sound coming from the Summas at I believe an older RMAF.

He was kind enough however to suggest that the reason for that conclusion was due to the mass-market amplifier you were using with the Summas.

That's a "poor review" under "show conditions" by any standard. It also precisely parallels Ohmolts comment:

"You cannot dismiss a speaker based simply on an experience from a show. Gedlee speakers have also received poor reviews from demos like that. But the fact is that they are both great speakers."

Which wasn't a derogatory statement AT ALL.

In fact, if anything it was complementary - but you seem to view even the slightest criticism as an attack, so it probably never dawned on you that it was complementary.
Thank you ScottG.

Again, very dissapointing from Geddes.

It has a zoom function in the upper left of the web page. ;)

The lower interest in the IMP might not be that weird.. I don't think many people have ever even heard of the AES paper(s).

Plus, one look at it - and it appears totally "home-brew" and cheap. Just like in "love", that first look determines a lot. :p

Ha! ok, I was using the magnifier on my computer...to no avail :eek:

WE have to make a distinction between "Constant Directivity" and "Controlled Directivity", I do. I will agree that a monopole is "Constant Directivity" as is a CBT, but neither is "Controlled Directivity" because nothing about the directivity (horizontal in the CBT case) is "controlled" its just Omni. To be "Controlled" one decides what directivity to design for and does that independent of frequency. Now you could say the Omni radiation is what I want and then "Controlled" and "Constant" do become the same thing - that's a grey area of the definition distinctions. But Omni is not what I seek to have and as such no Omni source is "controlled" to me.

As far as the CBT is concerned, reflections are not all of equal importance. Horizontal is responsible for imaging and spaciousness, but there aren't really any good vertical reflections. One can, therefore dampen the floor and ceiling to remove these (as I do), but damping on the side walls will kill the lateral reflections which yield spaciousness. If the loudspeakers are not Controlled Directivity horizontally then the detrimental very early reflections cannot be attenuated without sidewall damping. The near wall reflection is by far the worst because it arrives at the same ear as the direct signal with little delay. The far wall reflection is significantly delayed and arrives at the opposite ear - a far less detrimental effect.

This situation is not by chance. It happens because are ears are located laterally and not vertically. We hear imaging laterally and resolve very accurately laterally. Vertical is all just a nuisance. So the most important thing that a loudspeaker should do is CONTROL the horizontal response - and let the room control the vertical.
I can't agree with you. First of all the CBTs are not omnis horizontally.
Secondly, they are have an off-axis response horizontally that resembles the direct sound to a greater degree then a normal size waveguide/horn. How can you then say that lateral contribution from a CBT is worse then from a waveguide? It's the opposite. A speaker that is omni at some frequencies and narrow at others, will colour the sound far more.

And then you have the issue with treating the floor correctly. Most people can only use a carpet and they up with more coloration cause the carpet is only absorping the highs. I doubt many can place 8" of absorbents on the floor.

The vertical is not just a nuisance. Have you read the studies of Bech? The vertical early reflections had a more negative effect on timbre then the ones from sidewalls. And Toole's researches, though I don't necessarily agree with everyhing, indicates that if you're going to have a contribution, it should come from the sides.

The CBTs can offer both; A spacious soundfield where the reflected energy resembles the direct signal and hence little coloration. Or a more precise and sharp image with treatment if that's what you want. The listener gets to choose and both will work extremely well.
A typical waveguide/horn speaker can however not give the spacious soundfield without much coloration. If you leave the sidewalls reflective, you end up with some reflective energy at certain frequencies and nothing or less at others. In that case, broadband treatment is required for correctness.
An even more so vertically where the waveguide/horn will show more lobing.

So yes, one may end up with a little reflective high frequencies from sidealls with standard size waveguide, but it also comes at a cost. Maybe overall it's still better in some situations though. Difficult to say. It will be room dependent I imagine. But nothing comes with a free lunch. With a horn that has less beaming and controlled directivity down to 400 Hz, the result is much better. Still not as uniform as the CBT, but with a speaker with less room interaction and overall quite good power response in both planes. Vertically it needs broadband treatment.

Last edited:
You have all those speakers on hand?
Yes.

I also want to add something to what I wrote recently. Was too late to edit the message.

With the CBT the floor reflection is a benefit. It is coupled to the floor and the reflection contributes what is effectively the other half of the CBT. So it negates the need for a full arc. This is a great advantage. It effectively eliminates the need for floor treatment that is problematic at best. Especially as any floor treatment typically exhibits a such a high frequency profile as to not be effective as broadband absorption for a traditional speaker. A bare broadband reflective floor surface is optimal.

The vertical disperion of a full CBT arc is 45 degrees. Therefore I am thinking that when placed on the floor, that the upward tilt would be restricted to 1/2 that. Thus from the horizontal plane it would only be a 22.5 degree upward distribution. As such, this effectively eliminates early ceiling reflections until well behind the typical listening position and thus eliminates the need for ceiling treatment, unlike typical loudspeakers.

The CBT benefits from a near uniform 180 degree power response and a constrained vertical distribution. In both axes it avoids a collapsing polar power response, which so typical of other designs.
http://www.xlrtechs.com/dbkeele.com/images/Card Back Large.png

And in all cases, the soundstage of the CBT offers an improvement over traditional speakers, as not only is the power response uniform over the horzontal plane, substantially increasing usable listening positions or eliminating many of the typical constraints that limit listening positons, and the limitations of a nearfield response due to destructive driver interaction (superposition) are effectively rendered moot.

With all due respect, many of you do not seem to understand the importance of a uniform response over a broad passband, and think that a speaker this is beaming is without flaws. You are overly concern with some sidewall reflections while you overlook the coloration it brings. A speaker that is beaming and has a polar that is collapsing is in totally need of broadband treatment to sound correct. Both at sidewalls and at the ceiling!

You think you are only the one to understand that? What is a point source CD dipole after all?

I can't agree with you. First of all the CBTs are not omnis horizontally.
Secondly, they are have an off-axis response horizontally that resembles the direct sound to a greater degree then a normal size waveguide/horn. How can you then say that lateral contribution from a CBT is worse then from a waveguide? It's the opposite. A speaker that is omni at some frequencies and narrow at others, will colour the sound far more.

the (genuine) question is, what would the WG proponents do IF it was possible to design a compact (read: one you can sell..) WG going as low as 100hz.. Woud they still keep the omni pattern and argue (without too much evidence actually) that below 1khz it's not that important?

If I had to give up on dipoles and go "narrow", I would on paper choose the Synergy, but hey, I know nothing.. :)

But most have heard of (and heard) Bose . . . which does pretty much the same thing for pretty much the same reasons.

Well someone pointed out that the results of the test weren't statistically significant anyway. Then someone mentioned CBTs, Earl Geddes joined in and things went along from Orion-bashing to the usual "what is the best radiation pattern" question :D
No surprise that . . . it’s not at all hard these days to design and build speakers that are reasonably flat on-axis (we have good “tone controls” now, too) and with inaudible (masked) distortion (cf Geddes). That speakers still “sound different” in the listening room leaves . . . the room itself, and the power response/polar pattern of the speaker exciting the room. So that’s what we end up talking about. And it generally divides us into two camps: the “exclude the room” (narrow polar) group (who tend to listen to “studio” and HT types of “synthetic” sound); and the “include the room” (omni and dipole) group (who tend to listen to “acoustic” (typically “classical”) music and want “high fidelity” reproduction of that “original sound”).

The CBT benefits from a near uniform 180 degree power response
That’s not what I heard, nor do I see how it could be the case regarding horizontal dispersion.

some still persist in positing benefits to a dipole in a bounded environment!
Perhaps because some of us have heard them?