Linkwitz Orions beaten by Behringer.... what!!?

I have the B2031P . Sounds very good . Nothing harsh about it. Nor is it bright . Well balanced I'd say. Fantastic value for money

Yes ... but a 8" woofer up to 2 kHz ... seems a little stretched in the high midrange.
I was undecided but then i decided for the model with the smaller woofer

Based on earlier experience with bi amplified systems I'd say that this unit has the potential to sound even better bi-amped
I have not yet opened mine ! But it will be bi-amped one day !
The active system apparently uses LM3886 chip power amps.
At least the 3030A/3031A does.
Not sure if the latest manufactured units have classD modules

i think that one very nice thing of actives is that they have an electronic x-over usually with very sharp cut (24dB/octave).
This is good i think
And i think that if you go active you can upgrade the amp part as well.
Regards, gb

It seems BEHRINGER had seized the opportunity for some marketing ! :violin:

www.behringer.com/news/?p=24882

But really ?

Behringer News
BEHRINGER Studio Monitor Wins Listening Test Against $9,000 Hi-Fi Speaker

5/15/2013 Bothell, WA — In a recent independent test, the BEHRINGER TRUTH B2031A acoustic-sciencestudio monitor loudspeakers matched the performance of the much higher-priced and acclaimed Linkwitz Orion loudspeakers. Earl R. Geddes, PhD., a leading authority in loudspeaker design, conducted a scientifically controlled blind listening test as well as a series of measurement tests in his advanced polar measurement lab. In the end, Dr. Geddes concluded that the TRUTH B2031A was in the same class as the much more expensive loudspeaker. In a letter to BEHRINGER, Geddes says, “I was totally impressed by the BEHRINGER’s performance. It was clearly a highly-refined design which showed a great deal of talent in its design.”

Upgrading to a better tweeter should improve them. That's the weakest point IMO.
The tweeter can't play very loud and lack some in transparency.
Combine them with a sub or two and you have a fine system

Thanks a lot for the valuable advice. I am not an expert expecially when the parts are unbranded :D
I trust you completely because my listening was very short and overall positive
I have already a pair of 1" diskant from System Audio that i could use :rolleyes:
Those should be very good. I listened to them quite a lot and liked them.
Kind regards,
gino

Last edited:
Upgrading to a better tweeter should improve them. That's the weakest point IMO. The tweeter can't play very loud and lack some in transparency.

Lack of transparency in the tweeter is more than likely the electronics' fault. The chipamps they use just don't cut it in the HF - check the DS distortion at 20kHz for practically any of them. It barely drops with decreasing signal level. Added to that poor decoupling on the chips themselves (practically universal in cheap actives) and you get the veiled tweeter effect.

Maybe you should look at the 3030A . I have a pair , VERY nice. Has a limitation of how loud it can go. Not sure how it will do with a separate sub. Doesn't have as much low end as the 2031P or the 3031A But otherwise VERY good.

I think that one cannot always equate cost with superior performance. Meaning that if it's more expensive , it sounds better ! There are many average cost drivers that sound very good. Take Eminence for example. There are many others I'm sure.

Scan Speak is not necessarily charging excessively. Maybe it costs them much more to develop drivers and manufacture them than others . Then maybe they need more margins to keep themselves operational. End result is a more expensive driver. If you like it you buy it. But it's price doesn't automatically say it's better than a lower priced driver made by someone who can afford to charge less. But as you go up in cost the basic materials will be more cost. A simple example being stamped frame or cast frame. Does it matter ? Try it for yourself and decide. Some of the nicest speakers I've heard over time had paper based cones and silk dome tweeters !
Cheers.

Last edited:
It seems BEHRINGER had seized the opportunity for some marketing ! :violin:

www.behringer.com/news/?p=24882

But really ?

Who wouldn't have used those results in a marketing ad?

Problem is that they messed up the description because I did not do the listening test, I just did the measurements. I said what was quoted, but none of the other stuff.

What people miss here is that the Behringers were judged as not significantly different in the blind test. This could occur if the test was botched, i.e. the responses were too widely variant to conclude anything. Which IMO, was precisely what happened. I was asked to participate in this test with my speakers but I declined because I did not like the test protocol.

That may be true too. I've heard however the tweeter can't take much power before it distorts. Upgrade both. ;)
The tweeter is fine. I have B2030As, which will be given the full treatment at some stage - but as is, with miserable implementation of the electronics in raw form, they rapidly fall apart when you try and give them some throttle. Interestingly, they were still the best of the bunch when I auditioned a bunch of name brands over one very solid day of checking out active monitors - some quite expensive units are pretty dreadful, considering the money one's paying ...

The tweeter is fine.
I have B2030As, which will be given the full treatment at some stage - but as is, with miserable implementation of the electronics in raw form, they rapidly fall apart when you try and give them some throttle.
Interestingly, they were still the best of the bunch when I auditioned a bunch of name brands over one very solid day of checking out active monitors - some quite expensive units are pretty dreadful, considering the money one's paying ...

Hello ! i have opened a new and specific 3D on this speaker to realize which kind of mods can be performed to increase the already nice quality.
And I sincerely hope you will take part in it sharing your direct experience.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/244309-behringer-b2030a-modification-project.html#post3669603

I need to know about this
miserable implementation of the electronics in raw form
:(
Thank you very much indeed.
Kind regards,
gino :)

Last edited:
Rough is ready to assist

Yes, nothing like a "rough" recording to pinpoint problems. I'm currently listening to a '79 live recording of 2 Tone - version of ska - bands, on a very basic setup -- and doesn't this point out limitations, quick smart! This is a recording that would drive most people mad within minutes, unless they had "perfect" sound ... it gets the job done brilliantly of allowing one to decide whether one's system is 'right', without a shred of measured data ... ;)

Yup. My "difficult" reference is Stevie Nicks'
Belladonna. I have only a couple of test tone CDs and a sp meter, so listening hard to a bad sounding recording is necessary. Good thing I like the music.

Is 8" too much?

Yes ... but a 8" woofer up to 2 kHz ... seems a little stretched in the high midrange.
I was undecided but then i decided for the model with the smaller woofer

i think that one very nice thing of actives is that they have an electronic x-over usually with very sharp cut (24dB/octave).
This is good i think
And i think that if you go active you can upgrade the amp part as well.
Regards, gb
For several years I've been using 1" compression mid and treble drivers , loaded by identical 12" round waveguides. These share a simple 24 x54" baffle with a Celestion 15" woofer. After some struggles, I got to like the sound of these a lot.
Put down to similar driver size and radiation pattern, and similar (phenolic) material from the mids up. Recently got some NOS SEAS21TV 8" full range drivers, and they go to 10,000 hz in a straight line if I let 'em. Off axis beaming is an issue , but these are sweet to 4000 hz with a little first order help from a tweeter. And I like little beaming, sort of my point of liking dipoles- takes the rooms influence down a notch. I think a smooth response with minimal breakup may be more important than girth.

For several years I've been using 1" compression mid and treble drivers , loaded by identical 12" round waveguides. These share a simple 24 x54" baffle with a Celestion 15" woofer.
After some struggles, I got to like the sound of these a lot.
Put down to similar driver size and radiation pattern, and similar (phenolic) material from the mids up. Recently got some NOS SEAS21TV 8" full range drivers, and they go to 10,000 hz in a straight line if I let 'em.
Off axis beaming is an issue , but these are sweet to 4000 hz with a little first order help from a tweeter. And I like little beaming, sort of my point of liking dipoles- takes the rooms influence down a notch.
I think a smooth response with minimal breakup may be more important than girth.

Hello and sorry for the belated reply.
Thanks a lot for the very interesting info and advice
I have always tried to understand what makes a speaker sounding beautifully
Probably as you say
a smooth response with minimal breakup
is what is needed
Personally I think it is low distortion (the two things can go together anyway)
I think that our ear is particular sensitive to distortion, especially in the mid range
On this basis voices, choirs are the best to assess the quality of a speaker
I heard great sound from extremely different type of speakers, wideband and multi ways
I would bet that they all had a very low distortion :rolleyes:
So as long as the distortion is low the sound should be just fine, at least IMHO :eek:
Thanks again
Kind regards,

gino

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by "beaten by" but the fact is that professional loudspeakers, particularly those for live sound, have always understood the benefits of CD. It has always been important to be able to direct the sound and to ensure where possible the loudspeaker has ideally the same directivity throughout the frequency range.

What still fails often to be understood is that regardless of "reverberant space" the "other channel loudspeaker" does more to create interference (peaks and troughs) than any room ever will, it is after all the source. At low frequencies there are many ways of dealing with this with more loudspeakers, placement, delays, etc. There are even free programmes that will work all this out for you as a good starting point.

It is possible to create uniform spl throughout a space with dipoles, monopoles, bipole or cardioids or a mixture of the different types. Problem is you are on a poor starting point with just two loudspeakers as the original source!

As frequencies rise, and you want to keep to stereo, tighter dispersion may produce less interference. Those that use horns, even in the home, know this. Many harp on about the distortion in horns but in honesty when they produce 110dB for 1watt the actual measured distortion at normal listening levels may be a fraction of direct radiators. The concerns about "time alignment" due to different horn depths is a simple matter now with DSP to control delays.

www.soundright.org.uk has done a lot of research into polar patterns and configuration of loudspeakers to control interference and may be worth taking a look?

And yes, Sound Right is mine!!

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I think that our ear is particular sensitive to distortion, especially in the mid range
I don't think the bass and lower midrange should be underestimated. With enough of the right distortions they will be just as annoying. Not as confronting, but perhaps more relentless.

Trying to eq problems here may lead to a compromise with the wanted sound leading to bass instruments and the lower vocal register (for example) that are both unsatisfying and annoying. Rather than a vocalist and a drummer feeling like they are together in a room, they may (eg) sound like separate recordings superimposed with only the distortion tying them together.

Hello and sorry for the belated reply.
Thanks a lot for the very interesting info and advice
I have always tried to understand what makes a speaker sounding beautifully
Probably as you say is what is needed
Personally I think it is low distortion (the two things can go together anyway)
I heard great sound from extremely different type of speakers, wideband and multi ways
I would bet that they all had a very low distortion :rolleyes:
So as long as the distortion is low the sound should be just fine, at least IMHO :eek:
Thanks again
Kind regards,

gino
I agree that the midrange is where we hear best; maybe it helped our forebears avoid cheetahs rustling through the leaves towards them . But a funny thing happened yesterday. Always enjoyed headphone listing; for the first time ever, I loaded up my phone and used this for commuting. Okay sound until boarding the train. Mids and highs were there, but the rumble was messing with the bass pitch, and that skewed my enjoyment of everything.
I build high rises for a living, and an axiom at work holds true for playback too: if your foundation is weak, it's pointless to proceed without fixing it.
I think if ones bass response is wrong, that's enough to mess up all the rest of the structure (harmonics?) in your music.
Most people think bass is easy, but I don't believe good bass is easy or a cheap date.
Best of luck and planning with your project,
Mitchell.

I suspect that, due to the rumble from trains etc being broadband in nature, you'll be getting interference with notes in your music. Instead of cancelling out perfectly, however, you might get beats if the two frequencies (music and rumble) are a couple of Hz off.
That pulses any LF tones in your music, but might make you hear the rumble (if that's of a slightly higher frequency) instead of the music, putting the low-frequencies off-key slightly, but only at certain times.

Maybe.

I just tried to replicate the effect with some headphones: band-filtered pink noise while music was playing.
Very weird, but hard to definitely identify any particular effects. I'll try playing the pink noise through my stereo and music through headphones, see how that goes.

Morphine - Buena seems to show it up quite well with the slide-bass.

Chris