Linkwitz Orions beaten by Behringer.... what!!?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Why do you keep saying otherwise?

Oh, I don't know..... just a silly whim, I suppose.

We localize only on sounds > 700 Hz.

We localize only on signals > 700 Hz.

I completely agree with Griesinger on this point - and he makes a very strong case for this in his papers. I wish that I had seen these papers before. They agree with what I have been saying in almost every detail.

....only that it is far less important than the critical range of 700 - 5 kHz. If I have to compromise on something it is certainly going to be < 700 Hz.

Griesinger and I would say that this improvement would be negligible. He completely ignores all data < 700 Hz. in his calculations because he does not see that it has any significance. I agree.

....To be clear, his interest is not in loudspeaker design, but in concert halls. But what he has found for concert halls is very applicable to the small room loudspeaker problem.

Oh, I don't know..... just a silly whim, I suppose.

I would restate "we localize only on sound > 700 Hz" to "we localize principally on sound > 700 Hz." but otherwise all the statements are correct and do not indicate a complete disregard for < 700 Hz. Because it is the most important does not mean that is the only thing that is important. Can we now cease with the "disregard" claims?

I think the brain learns localization much faster than you can figure out what it is doing. From a design point of view, we just try to take an iterative approach to gradually minimize various design problems. Trying to figure out analytically what is more critical is fine as long as you follow up with quantifying and prioritizing design goals, otherwise, all the research goes to waste.

Markus, I sweep manually and there is an automatic pause when the generator locks onto the next frequency, so that came free with the setup. Of course it is important to keep your head in the same position.

I have to do a lot of fiddling to generate narrow band noise, and I don't see how that could influence the outcome, so for the moment I hope someone else is set up for this and will share his experience.

Just listened to some sweeps. I don't get any distinct localization. Localization fluctuates a lot with varying frequency.
I can hear the comb filter at certain frequencies. There's sound at one ear but not on the other.
My Geddes speakers are currently set up with a 56° toe-in.

You do get sharp localization of single sines? Are you sure it's not distortion artefacts?

The problem is how the room distorts interchannel signal information.
"The problem" is far more complex than that, and begins way back with the (already failed) capture of the information.

I'm not sure the answer is as simple as "maintain pattern control through the fundamental music and voice range".
Of course it's not. But if a speaker cannot meet that basic minimum (sound coming from the same apparent source, which it doesn't if some part of the frequency range includes reflections and another part doesn't) it will certainly "distort interchannel signal information".

It's not an issue in an anechoic or sufficiently large environment. But in a small room the effect of frequency dependent first reflections is to move the apparent source. That has been a cause for criticism of "tweeter bloom", and has been a cause for criticism of the "woofer bloom" ("baffle step") exhibited by almost all "box" loudspeakers. It sounds "wrong" at 1500 Hz. (ORION), and it sounds wrong at 700 Hz (amply demonstrated by Pano) and at 350 Hz. and even at 175 Hz., (at least in some cases . . . Pano thinks even lower, and I'm not inclined to disagree).

IMO the only "safe" argument is that for the entire frequency range over which we can "localize" a sound source our speakers must radiate uniformly . . . so that the sum of direct and reflected sound presents uniform directional information. If the speakers can't do that there is little chance that directional clues (stereo information) embedded in the recording will be presented in a uniform and convincing manner by them.

I'm not sure that I understand you here. Are you saying that the phase relation between a fundamental and it's harmonics is not stable over time?

Indeed, in case of a phase shift, which virtually all speakers have, even FR, the phase of the harmonics will be different from the fundamental. Take the case of a 4th order xover at 2KHz playing a 1500 Hz tone. The first harmonic will be delayed compared to the fundamental and I guestimate that to be at least by 180 degrees. Obviously, when you change the fundamental, e.g. bring it up to 2Khz, the phase relationship with its harmonic will change also, because the phase shift between 1.5 and 3 KHz will be different from the phase shift between 2 and 4 KHz.

You beat me to this comment, but I completely agree.

Your "kitchen sink science" remark tells me too much about your personality and not enough about your scientific qualification to judge this mans work in this way.

Rudolf

Don't judge my personality, but my arguments, please. I don't attribute your attention to scientific qualifications to your nationality.

Last edited:
IMO the only "safe" argument is that for the entire frequency range over which we can "localize" a sound source our speakers must radiate uniformly . . . so that the sum of direct and reflected sound presents uniform directional information.

Why would a uniformly radiating speaker perform better? The room distorts the information, not the speaker (hopefully).

Indeed, in case of a phase shift, which virtually all speakers have, even FR, the phase of the harmonics will be different from the fundamental. Take the case of a 4th order xover at 2KHz playing a 1500 Hz tone. The first harmonic will be delayed compared to the fundamental and I guestimate that to be at least by 180 degrees. Obviously, when you change the fundamental, e.g. bring it up to 2Khz, the phase relationship with its harmonic will change also, because the phase shift between 1.5 and 3 KHz will be different from the phase shift between 2 and 4 KHz.

I believe that kind of phase distortion is completely meaningless when it is the same in both speakers. The real problem is phase distortion happening in one transmission channel but not in the other. Such distortion is caused by the room and to a lesser extend by the speaker (if your speakers aren't well matched).

Indeed, in case of a phase shift, which virtually all speakers have, even FR, the phase of the harmonics will be different from the fundamental. ...
I thought that this goes without saying. Harmonics can be "out of phase" in the original sound already. But this phase relation is fixed and does not change that much on the run like it does in Panos experiment.
Don't judge my personality, but my arguments, please.
I try to understand the person behind the postings, because that can help me to understand his argumentation. But I certainly don't "judge" personalities.

Rudolf