Linkwitz Orions beaten by Behringer.... what!!?

If you quote someone you're obliged to provide references, not me.

Markus this is the internet, not a refereed journal. You could have looked up the papers in the same time it took you to post the request that I do it for you. If I had them on hand I would have posted them, but at that moment it was not convenient. Yes, I think that those are the three papers.

This is a corner stone of Griesinger's hypothesis.

Exactly, a hypothesis, not a fact. Even if his hypothesis turns out to be of value (and I believe it is), it doesn't allow for the conclusion that spurious cues from other frequency ranges aren't detrimental.
Furthermore he is talking about natural sound sources/fields. Our topic is 2-speaker stereo in acoustically small rooms.

By the way, his papers make a good case for crosstalk cancellation and the perceptions that were reported here.

What I like about Griesingers work is that he actually looks at speech and music and not clicks and pink noise.

My woofers are crossed at 500 Hz. If I listen to the woofers only, there are directional clues for sure. But they are weak and they are very diffuse. When I listen only to everything above 500 Hz, the directional clues are overwhelmingly more powerful and precise. Adding the woofers afterwards has NEVER changed the direction of any musical signal for me.

I really wonder if anyone can report the contrary. :rolleyes:

Rudolf

My woofers are crossed at 500 Hz. If I listen to the woofers only, there are directional clues for sure. But they are weak and they are very diffuse. When I listen only to everything above 500 Hz, the directional clues are overwhelmingly more powerful and precise. Adding the woofers afterwards has NEVER changed the direction of any musical signal for me.

Rudolf

yes. Try *one* loudspeaker only.. ;)

What I like about Griesingers work is that he actually looks at speech and music and not clicks and pink noise.

Rudolf

Play a slow sine sweep - the image stays in the middle at all times? Lucky you...

Music? What's that?

41Kmhg88fVL._AA160_.jpg
516v%2Bktv0AL._AA160_.jpg

Choose your poison.

Is your 500 Hz (and below) system dipole (with a decent null at 90 degrees)?
Peerneo3 0-90.gif
In-room measurement - which shows that below 300 Hz modes are ruling everything.

Rudolf

Last edited:
View attachment 338848
In-room measurement - which shows that below 300 Hz modes are ruling everything.

Rudolf

At two meters? At one meter? At half a meter? At a quarter of a meter?

In any event, there does appear to be quite a lot of pressure loss just below 500 Hz off-axis.

Have you tried rotating the <500 Hz portion with the most extreme condition of pressure loss nearly facing your position (with music)? (..say, 80 degrees - outward or left of left speaker, right of right speaker?) And from there eq.ing it flat from your position?

Last edited:

Rudolf

Not what people here want to hear, but precisely what I would suspect.

Not what people here want to hear, but precisely what I would suspect.

Yes, it's what I would expect (and have also experimented with), depending on the material. (..and I would include most material.)

He is however asking for something to the contrary - and I've also experienced this. But the conditions to do so are not what I would call "normal" (in the context of stereo).

Hmm, is that what I "want to hear"? That presumes I wanted to hear a particular result - which would be incorrect (at least for me).