line-array vs conventional point-source/ distorsions issues

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wavebourn said:

Yes. Multiple drivers in phased arrays introduce financial and constructional problems. But they solve many other problems that can't be solved for any money.

Please elaborate on the latter ..
since this is really what we need to focus on

( ...many other problems that can't be solved for any money... )

I don't usually include anything that has to do with either construction or $$$ value within a discussion on audio performance, as it is not related to it at all ..

Maybe for you!

JINmtvt

For those of us who live in a world of making money and working, construction and funds always apply.

I had to make a decision initially how much i was going to spend on the project, and how much time I had to build it, as well as the new pieces of tools I would need to construct the line array.

Of course they apply, for most people.

If they didn't, I might have chosen a completely different set of speakers initially.

Zarathu

I undestand what you mean ..

and i agree with my limited knowledge and connaissance, that line arrays seem to be the current answer to quality reproduction

but, if we could find a way to make the BEST possible loudpseaker, wouldn't you invest alot of time on it?
a few years of spare time ?
and few thousands ?
well i would, even if that would bring me near no social life :p haha

But what i really meant by no cost or constructional limitations, is that we should try to focus on the achievements, since the latter are obviously possible works ...and could always be helped either by commune group purchase power and well designed/planned or mass construction methods ..

aren't we on a DIY site?

how many people have bought 10 000$+ worth loudpseakers in the world ?
don't you think that you can make the same performing loudspeaker ( putting aside aesthetics ) for half or 1 third the same money ?

No, I mean that if some design can't give you needed functionality you may throw in it millions of dollars without any result.

Another example: as soon as technologies for phased antenna arrays became available small compact mobile phase arrays replaced huge reflectors in radars. Also, radars became available in fields where they were impossible before.

The same of speakers: my line arrays with about $2,000 cost (excluding R&D&labor) sound better than $20,000 boutique speakers, also they sound better everywhere in the house and don't require from all listeners to sit in some "sweet spot" to hear a nice stereo. Like grand piano, jazz band, a symphonic orchestra are playing in my living room.

However, ribbons may be cheaper in manufacturing (potentially) and sound closer, but they still can't.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.