line array cabinets are finished

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, how is it sounding?

Well, I embarrassed to say, I think they sound fantastic. I know they are way, way, too bright, but the sound is fantastic. I have truly heard things I have never heard before. I have only previewed a few selections to date. One is Sony's Digital Masterpiece CD (with some classical favorites), some Beatles, The Band. It's real impressive sound. Let me put it this way. Thrity five years ago I walked into a high end stereo store. They had a Marantz/ Bose setup in "Quadraphonic" playing Also Sprach Zarathustra (2001 overature). Well, if that didn't kick your ***, then you were already dead. That's what this is like...the feeling at least. An eye opener. A new day and a different experience. Lastly, I am virtually certain that one of the key contributing factors is the sound is NOT ON THE FLOOR.

As for the brightness, I am pretty much doubled up on the drivers from 5100 on up to the top. There is NO crossover, just high pass caps. I am still undecided about what to do on the crossover. I understand the circuits, but I am unsure of the outcome. From an economic standpoint, it doesn't make any sense to drop 40 bucks in caps & coils for a hundred dollar speaker. And that's if you get it right the first time! Why not spend the two hundred and make a very nice active kit (that will be around for the HORN PROJECT!!).

Maybe I have a tin ear, but the issue of combing/interference/baffle step compensation I'll have to leave up to somebody else (an audiophile) to descern.

They are also pretty nice to drive at very high volumes. I'm running a Adcom 2535 (60-90 @ 4-8 ohms) into these arrays. (I didn't want to smoke the 5500 on a test flight) Let's just say that the CD starts skipping when the 2535 is cranked up.

My advice to the moderately interested... build this project!

chipco3434 said:
As for the brightness, I am pretty much doubled up on the drivers from 5100 on up to the top.....
Maybe I have a tin ear, but the issue of combing/interference/baffle step compensation I'll have to leave up to somebody else (an audiophile) to descern

do you hear a recessed treble. theotriccally assumeing a c-c of 25mm you should be ok till 14k or so. in fact serious cancelations might occur only outside the audible spectrum.

can you post the c-c distance of the tweeters?

open baffle

Not pretty, but no cold joints...

Attachments

• wiring.jpg
    wiring.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 841
Re: 4x4x42 line array

JeffN said:
Here's my attempt (actually its the second attempt) at a line array. The first one stunk. This one's a little better, but needs some help in the high end.

4x4x42 line array construction pics

Probably the cheapest line project you'll ever see.

Hehe.. small world. A couple months ago I was scoping those
sleeves out at Home Depot & thinking of doing the same thing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.