lil ol me

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i'm new on the site...i'm not as technolicious as most contributors here, but i've got a big ol brain, i'm sure i'll pick a few things up. i'm really amazed by the creativity and passion i find in the individuals and projects i've seen here. as a poet/small time recording 'artist', writer, dancer, actress (you get the picture), i've had chances to collaborate and create with others, and it's always magical to see how seperate body/minds can become one HUGE body/mind and accomplish so much more. and like artists, the community here is driven only by their own enjoyment and obsession, which is an attitude i can truly appreciate.

so, part of my joining up here is to gain better access to new ideas and tecnniques related to audio recording and performance, and toincrease my comfort level here in the quarters of the technocrat. i tried to avoid this end of 'showbiz' for fart too long, steeped in the liberal artist's disdain for gadgetry. but mcLuhan said it right i think- the medium is the message...what i say is only as important as who hears me and it's through technogadgetry that we are heard in this society...

so thanks for having me here!

jane

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hello tweetertox - and Welcome to diyAudio. Lord knows that we of the technogadget clan need a bit more "balance" into things "not technicial". Someone to point out that not everything in life is better when it bigger - or has more power - or more watts - or more of - - - - (fill in the blank). For most of us our real enjoyment comes when we get to sit down (and slow down) to actually listen to and thus enter into the performers world. I love to soak in vibrato of a cello while I anticipate the cord that is about to be struck on accompanying piano and appreciate the talent and skill of the artist and those that have "captured the moment" with a competent recording. The Yin and Yang of things - balance - synergy - getting into "the zone" where everything comes together - that's a sweet moment. It's a wonderful thing when producers can get the artist into the studio - get "it" down (recorded) - and get it "out" (produced). The second part comes in getting the recording reproduced in a rewarding and enjoyable way - and that is what most of us are attempting to achieve by various methods and at different levels of affordability. As to appearance - well most of us are technocrats - and male. So the "looks" of the equipment ranges from the simple but functional (usually some left over plywood that might get a coat of primer splashed over it - and I plead guilty to that) to the polished (ohhhh SHINY - SHINY) and angular, and LARGE.

I guess that the real point is that we will be better off for you presence and your fresh perspectives.
;)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Jane,
Welcome! (from a place somewhat closer to you)

No shortage of ideas floating around here. Don't forget the older threads that can be searched for information.

One think I might ask though, please? Using the caps and punctuation make your posts easier to read for the rest of us. Yeah, I'm a techie. In my defense though, my daughters are all very artistic and one was in Ottawa as well.

-Chris

Hi all

albin- right back atcha!

c2cthomas- I appreciate those that appreciate diversity, and am glad to be here, but maybe we're more alike than you think- LOL - speaking of 'great minds think alike', one of my projects is snidely titled 'sinnerjism' (synergism). Any one working in and towards that 'sweet zone' is working together to create something greater than it's whole.
oh, and as to the look of you 'boys' creations, i align with the punk aesthetic whose DIY ethic is the message and the Media...besides if things really need prettying up...a little paint, maybe some stickers...and vavavoom!

cal- Hello and thanks for the shout out.

anatech- hi! Thanks- i had already considered those old posts as an important resource, and from what i've seen already there's a lot to learn. Sorry about the lack of caps...but i always punctuate properly, if sometimes creatively and to effect.

No defense needed for techies- and i'm sure you're just being modest- your medium simply happens to be schematic and electronic.

thanks for the friendly welcome ya'll!

jane

ps...ok i gotta take the bait albin... As to mandala- I could argue some points there. Basically my theory states that if the media 'forced' the world to apply sanctions to south africa thereby heralding in a brave new free government, then it actually allowed/forced many enterprises to leave SA, so there was next to nothing for the 'native' or 'black' population to inherit from their oppressors. And now South Africa has become the African centre of media and popular culture, and the cheap place to do a lot of the stuff media and culture techies and support type staff get paid a lot more to do in north america, in the fields of design, film production, audio recording, etc...I in no way wish to denigrate the work mandala, a compassionate, brilliant and beautiful man, and yet he is only one man. One whom the media didn't need to spin to make us love and agree with...So in other word, Mcluhan still stands. For now.

Bait....

I'm hooked
Technolicious....what a word,Idid a search,it's a first here.
Ubiquity,Isn't that it,what with the technology,I mean I hate gadgets,but electrons,they're something else.What I mean is,well what I'm trying to say is like,but,and therefore.well yes I'm glad I cleared that up.
Seriously I totally agree,
regards
max albin

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Jane,
There is a facet of the artistic mind used when laying out a PCB pattern. That's where I sometimes express my "art". I can't draw worth a darn otherwise.

Enjoy and have a blast!

Do artists drink coffee?

How about those members in society who are our moral compass?

-Chris

heya chris (anatech)
- just so's ya know when i think art i think of it as a state
of being, of seeing/looking at the world...the tools we use to express
this perspective (art) is the preferred craft of the individual- for you pcb patterns, for me poetry, drawing, dancing...talking and writing even.

do artists drink coffee??? well, the addicted ones do! as to artist=moral compass....meh- aristotle and plato needed everything to fit in to their little boxes, as though society's some kinda machine you can design and build, and the artist is just some more or less important part of it.

maybe an artist is an engineer and builder of moral compasses....not part of the machine but a designer of it's constantly shifting forms...not that there aren't eternal truths and universal laws...but the way we apply them MUST change or we risk obliterating those laws, that truth...

so says i

jane

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Jane,
so says i
That's good enough for me.

Your perspective makes sense. We all perceive the world around us in a manner that we can make sense of. Your state of being must colour what you see as reality, your mind forces this or what you see is incomprehensible.

Those in control attempt to force a "oneness", or conformity. This allows for easier control and fewer surprises. Creative people must rail against this. Creativity can not exist among what I like to call "sheeple". You can use that, my daughters think the term is hilarious.

I also think it's a darn shame to prevent the tenancies of Darwin from acting on the populace as a whole. Sure would make driving safer!

Oh yeah. Forgot to mention that I'm not even close to being politically correct. Some people were put on this earth for my own personal enjoyment. Makes life go by more enjoyably.

-Chris

PC and me

heya!

sheeple! i love it...much better than that silly harry potter term "Muggles" (the people who aren't magicians)...

as to political correctness...well that's a term i've never felt comfortable with. for one thing, growing up in canada, i long ago learned to associate the term "PC" with the progressive conservative political party...and so with old-fashioned and elitist and big business oriented policy (like U.S. Republicans)...so as a free thinker bleeding heart type my knee jerk reaction is to rebel against such constraints on behaviour and language.

it seems irrational and constraining to force people into a new pattern of relating to each other when the old rules are still applying anyway- rules like class, like education, like business structures, gender, race, etc...

so for me "PC" will simply mean...Polite'n'Courteous...
that's a rule the old and new worlds can agree upon, and an ethic that facilitates communication between the indivuals of a culture/society, and so better ensures understanding, truth, peace, discovery...

jane

TO: Anatech

Re: My lack of caps

My Dear Sir
I most formally and sincerely offer my apologies for making you squint, or any other discomfort the lack of caps in my recent posts has caused you. Once again I pledge to reform my errant and rebellious ways and learn to conform to Standard English practices.

Your humble servant,

Ms. Jane

LOL. But really, i have been making an effort, i just got so excited about the last two posts i lost focus. I guess it's hard to get out of the habit, as it's so much easier to record my train of thought with one less key to worry about hitting. Thanks for the heads up!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
:)

Fair enough.

"texting" really creates poor habits. Often these days, the only exposure anyone may have of you are what they read from email. This can really hamper your chances of advancement. My daughters are very bad for this also, so don't feel badly.

First impressions may just be everything you have already posted.

-Chris

fatherly advice

Hi!

Thanks for your concern Chris, but let me lay your fears to rest. I neither text (what a stupid invention), nor do i lack training. If i were writing a journal article or essay, then i would follow very different rules than i would writing a quick post. As an academic I spent so much time and effort dotting every i and crossing every t that when i stray away from my field of academic discipline i tend to let things slide and not edit ten times over. Since i'm not accessing this sight as a technician i have no "networking" ambitions and had not considered being judged here to that standard.
My other field of discipline- that of songwriting/poetry- requires no standard but the one i have decided will best get across my view...at which point i will assault and manipulate the rules of the road (standard practices) in order to get where i'm going, in order for the reader/listener to get where i'm going. But it's funny that even though i'm not conforming to any known pattern, i still edit a zillion times, which makes writing off the top of my head, just reading and posting, a relief and an enjoyment....
while i'm here, i just wanna get my point or question across, while causing others a minimal amount of annoyance, and so out of my PC ethic (politencourteous), i am making a caps commitment to you!

jane

ps...as to first impressions...who am i trying to impress?? i'm here to be impressed UPON...to learn, and enjoy the company of other smartypants....LOL

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Jane,
ps...as to first impressions...who am i trying to impress??
Well, it's a small world. You never know when an opportunity is missed because it was never offered. Networking is something that happens all the time, where ever you may be.

fatherly advice
You know what? You may be right about that. I like to see people do well and that is hard for me to turn off.

Kick back and enjoy!

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.