Lightspeed Attenuator a new passive preamp

It's well known in the industry that distortion figures may not be directly related to percieved sound quality. This is what George is trying to point out. So there must be some other aspect improved that relates with percieved sound quality. It's too bad that the method to find a relation between sound quality and measured data is not openly available. I personally only use single tone harmonics testing in the process of diagnosis, not the final judgement.

It's well known in the industry that distortion figures may not be directly related to percieved sound quality.

This is just... untrue ! And George himself claims just the contrary... even for bad reasons !

This is what George is trying to point out. So there must be some other aspect improved that relates with percieved sound quality. It's too bad that the method to find a relation between sound quality and measured data is not openly available. I personally only use single tone harmonics testing in the process of diagnosis, not the final judgement.

You're definitely not in agreement with what most of the professional audio engineers know for a long time ago now... Please, would you explain what means exactly your signature : "Hear the real thing!"

Last edited:
Happy to know that you agree with Mr. Pass and me."!

Only Nelson, your just riding on his coat tails, he showed us this over a year ago, and designed a buffer for the Lightspeed so it can drive his low impedance amps, don't take his credit, it's not professional at all.

"![/QUOTE]I think you gave a wrong explanation of a subjective fact. Me and other think that the subjective improvement of the series-shunt setup is almost only due to the odd harmonics and, moreover, we know where are coming from, these odd harmonics..."![/QUOTE]

Only you belive this, read what owners of high end active pre's have found, over 300 posts
AudiogoN Forums: Lightspeed Attenuator - Best Preamp Ever?

Cheers George

Only you belive this, read what owners of high end active pre's have found, over 300 posts

You're kidding, aren't you ? Because ten or even thousand of people prefer a distorted sound is enough to proof that your explanation of "contact issue" is true ?...

Well, I think we must stop this discussion here since religion and science aren't on the same level...

Before stopping this vain hope of mutual understanding, here you'll find a visual evidence that our senses are sometimes fooled... What do you think of the gray level of squares A and B ?...

Attachments

• illusion.jpg
    illusion.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 319
Things have now stopped screeching in the night . . .

Sounds to me Dave like the Sowther is ringing it's brains out with the load (7K-12K) load that the Lightspeed presenting . . .

And, as it's sounding to me now, you were spot on. I dug out an old (Ben Duncan's 1988 HFNRR design) op-amp I/V stage from where it's lain under the bed these last 10 years and swapped it for the Sowthers. It's working a treat.

Many thanks!

You're kidding, aren't you ? Because ten or even thousand of people prefer a distorted sound is enough to proof that your explanation of "contact issue" is true ?...

Well, I think we must stop this discussion here since religion and science aren't on the same level...

Before stopping this vain hope of mutual understanding, here you'll find a visual evidence that our senses are sometimes fooled... What do you think of the gray level of squares A and B ?...
Now, I call this trying to involved unrelated data to prove a point. Shame. So if you wish to stop, nobody is going to beg you to to continue.:happy2:

I have asked you about the specific resistance values of your test setup, you have never provided a valid answer. Seems like you are not quite sure what you did.

Last edited:
This is just... untrue ! And George himself claims just the contrary... even for bad reasons !

You're definitely not in agreement with what most of the professional audio engineers know for a long time ago now... Please, would you explain what means exactly your signature : "Hear the real thing!"
Distortion measurements is only one means of troubleshooting a circuit under the assumption that linear behavior should be a goal. However, even though harmonics exist through this kind of measurement, it may create a perception of tone in an instrument played. This does not mean it will sound bad, it just sounds different. Since, for example, different violins are going to sound different anyway, so it does not matter if the reproduction has a different harmonic content because you don't know what the original one sounds like anyway. Therefore, the reproduction can still sound real. This is why I have the signature to "Hear the reall thing", when you are able to percieve certain characteristics in an instrument that cannot be properly analyzed through data, you know what to listen for. So from what I can see from the data you look at, it's probably going to take about 3 to 4 years to really start to get the understanding involved with linking data and listening perception.

For the record, I currently do not use LDRs, and have only had one listening session with those connected to an amplifier I have as a demo to a third person. The LDRs beat the pants off the volume control I had in there. At that time, I was not aware how the input impedance varied with frequency. Therefore, I would encourage you to do input impedance measurements on your LDRs. Distortion measurements will not tell you what you are looking for.

Last edited:
ondesx:

Have you listened to a Lightspeed or a clone? What were the test conditions? Sources, power amps, speakers, source material, etc.? What sonically did you observe as the defecit when comparing your LDR attenuator to the product of your "perfect attenuation research"?

When you performed your testing of the LDRs, when you observed variations from test to test, what were your lab conditions? Did you check each LDR at the same temperature each time? George has repeatedly stated the importance of potting the LDRs for thermal tracking between them. Is this what you did? Did you select and match a quad, or a pair, then pot them and re-test at a later time at the same temperature, or did you note the temperature change? Air blowing on the LDRs affects their resistance. Did you encase the LDRs when testing to assure that was not the cause of the variation?

A common claim made in this hobby is the notion of a "distortion" which makes the listening experience more pleasant. That concept used to deride both the individuals using the distorted technology as well as the equipment: i.e., "You guys just like the sound of this distortion without realizing that it's a distortion that you like. We enlightened people don't fall prey to that fallacy." From my own point of view, improved clarity, resolution of low-level detail, a stable "sound field", reproduction of high frequencies without an added "edge" (which is not present in live, unamplified music), bass without boominess, but with excellent definition do not count as distortions.

Whatever your ideal stepped attenuator form is, will you be willing to set up a demonstration, comparing it to the [euphonically distorted?] Lightspeed, or a clone? I'm sure some participants in this thread must be near enough to you to make such a comparison a reality. You could really show us something.

Stuart

So you won't have to look it up, here I am quoting myself.

I think I had it right back then. Starting with post 3677, I think ondesx's points can be summarized thus:

-LDRs have greater distortion than a simple resistor or stepped attenuator
-The lowest measured distortion device is what we must listen to
-"We", known to this forum as "ondesx" have developed a superior product to any LDR based attenuator
-ondesx's attenuator's actual configuration/schematic must be kept secret, although he has no product to sell
-ondesx is better and has a better understanding of the science/electronics/measurements/etc. than the rest of us (side note is that he used another member of "we" to obtain those measurements)
-If you disagree with him, you are following a religion, not a science

I asked specifically if he had ever built or listened to a Lightspeed or clone. What system(s) had he used to listen to his or any other attenuator versus the subject of this thread. I asked what deficits he heard in the LS. I asked about his testing methodology to ensure temperature wasn't causing his perceived variations. Finally, I wondered if he would be willing to demonstrate his product in comparison to an LDR attenuator.

The answers were predictable. No reply to system used, whether he'd ever listened to or built an LDR attenuator. Vague replies about a "standard" test method. No reply as to the sonic flaws heard in the LS. Naturally, he lives in a part of the world far away from any one else who might own an LDR based attenuator.

His insinuations continue about those of us who use human ears to evaluate various products whose purpose is to provide us with the most realistic sounding reproduction of music possible as perceived through our human ears.

I may be wrong, but I think that onedesx has never listened to an LDR setup. I also think that in the near future, the not-for-sale Jackspeed will soon become a commercial product and its supporting literature will tout its superiority over the LS (and probably everything else ever made).

Sorry, but for me, this argument with ondesx is pointless.

Stuart

Heh, lot's of companies are trying to pump things out without really managing comparisons with older products. I bought a new cell phone thinking it had more features than my old one, only to discover the phone is not as smart as my old smart phone. Product support is even more dumb, they did not know more than the phone owner.

I have asked you about the specific resistance values of your test setup, you have never provided a valid answer. Seems like you are not quite sure what you did.

Again I think you're unable to read the measurement values and that you ignore the advice of George in terms of optimal resistance values...
Then, to be clear and exhaustive: 7K is the resistance value recommended by George himself for several reasons (maintain a low noise, not overload the source, etc.), then for 16x attenuation, i. e. -24 dB you deal with Rseries = 6.558K and Rshunt = 442 ohms. The sum, as you'll easily verify it, equals 7K...
For the MkI the Rseries is 15K fixed value, then for 24 dB of attenuation you'll get 946 ohms.
That's all folks !
All things can perfectly be compared and the results matches the expected behavior as soon as one knows what is going on with these LDRs !

Is that clear for you now?

From searching this thread it appears he has built it, listened to it and liked it

ondesx in this thread said:
Even without any tweaking it outperforms my last auto-former interface without any doubt !...

I tried with two different amplified monitors both with 10 k input impedance, the results are much better with the one displaying 100 dB SPL for -6 dB !...

Moreover, the impact and intensity of the lows are just amazing, that wouldn't be the case with an impedance mismatch, or this mismatch just appears for low levels ?

For an enough high level, all is pretty good, the sound is just incredible, better than with my third opus of auto-transformer (which still reached a very very good audio quality indeed, much better than most active preamps, even some swiss made costly gear...). We have more presence, transparency, the sound stage is very large, the voices are more natural, with a very good stability for high frequency at high levels, the dark side is the mixing errors are more evident too !...

I'm quite sure this is not due to an impedance mismatch... When I increase the volume, this phenomenon disappears totally and the sound becomes clear, punchy, with very consistent bass and a beautiful transparency, presence and details, well a quite perfect audition indeed, better at this point then with my best auto-former !...

Well George, with another PS the sound is now quite perfect ! I face a new incident (as it wasn't the case yesterday night...) :

Again thank you George you are indeed a great guy !

Hope a lot of audiophiles have the opportunity to build this really amazing interface !

Anyway, I built the LS MKII in a balanced version and this thing rocks really. I didn't experienced the level limitation observed with the OptiVol. Anyway, it's relatively easy to derive a LS MK II from the OptiVol : you just have to exchange the 27 k resistor by another NSL and provide an inverted current, et Voila !... In this case with one OptiVol you can control a single-ended stereo amplifier from your DAC or CD player. For Balanced stereo you need... 2 Optivols !

maybe there is more than 1 ondesx?

Again I think you're unable to read the measurement values and that you ignore the advice of George in terms of optimal resistance values...
Then, to be clear and exhaustive: 7K is the resistance value recommended by George himself for several reasons (maintain a low noise, not overload the source, etc.), then for 16x attenuation, i. e. -24 dB you deal with Rseries = 6.558K and Rshunt = 442 ohms. The sum, as you'll easily verify it, equals 7K...
For the MkI the Rseries is 15K fixed value, then for 24 dB of attenuation you'll get 946 ohms.
That's all folks !
All things can perfectly be compared and the results matches the expected behavior as soon as one knows what is going on with these LDRs !

Is that clear for you now?
No.
I was asking about your other test configurations which you claim lower distortion. I have no question about what George has done. He has passion in what he does. I see information in other peoples data, but yours are just 1KHz test signals, not very informative. Pity.

Last edited:
No.
I was asking about your other test configurations which you claim lower distortion. I have no question about what George has done. He has passion in what he does. I see information in other peoples data, but yours are just 1KHz test signals, not very informative. Pity.

OK let me know for which frequency you want the data...

Last edited:
First, I'd like to know what other volume control configurations you have already actually tested. The resistance values? Simple shunt-series type configurations do not have linear gain. You know, when we look at data, we want to make sure what we are comparing.;)

I'm sorry but I'm not sure to understand your request. The plotted curves are for the MKI i. e. for a series fixed resistance (this is the definition of the MKI) and the series-shunt LDR setup i. e. the MkII. The way both work is obviously well known in this thread. Then, what do you mean by "what other volume control configurations you have already actually tested ?" perhaps another valiue than 15K for the fixed series or a different total of the 7K (=series+shunt values) for the MkII ? Or perhaps are you asking for my last attenuator not using LDRs ?...

Secondly, what do you mean by "Simple shunt-series type configurations do not have linear gain" ?

Both setups are compared for THE SAME attenuation value (-24dB for the published curves) and the most favorable "total resistance" for the MkII. Then, the derived data are quite well comparable. I did the measurements for all the attenuation values allowed by these setups. I also published, in one post above, a couple of curves at 0dB (i. e. no attenuation). Obviously the differences are much more visible. These data point out, as expected, that :
- first, the MkII suffers for greater distortion than the MkI
- secondly, the MkI almost generates only even harmonics
- thirdly, the MkII almost generates only odd harmonics.

Depending of the attenuation level the number and the levels of these harmonics are different. But the rules remain. The reason of these results is related to the Fourier Transform of the output signal.

Last edited:
Please calm yourself George! ... You knew all that. Where is the problem? If you like the sound of the LS and many people do agree, all is fine.

All I did was answer questions and recall that we could not just rely on what we hear, like we can't only trust on our eyes as demonstrated by the drawing with squares A and B of the same gray level, even if everyone will agree obviously to declare that each square is of a different level... Even with this information, the picture remains realistic !... ;)

Last edited: