Light Switch Then Fan On Timer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Difficult problem...

Whatever you use needs to automatically reset to a 1 minute timeout everytime you turn on your projector so a mechanical timer wouldnt work... it would have to be an electronic timer that you could program for 1 minute. It would also need to control the power to your fans. The thing is... if you are turning on your projector via a mechanical switch that is inline with the AC into your projector, once you turn that off... where does the stored power come from to keep the fans running?

My solution was to build a projector controller, but that may be more than what you are looking for.

I have a 2 position switch to control power. Everything is wired to one side for PJ operation. The fan wires will be split and ran to poth operational sides of the switch. This way, after I'm done with the pj, I can flip the switch over and only leave the fans on. One thing I have thought of is incorporating one of the bathroom motion sensor switches. The manual timer ones will wind down regardless, but the motion sensor version will only work when power is applied to it. So, if i wire it in line with the fan side of the switch. Voila! Instant fan timer for however long I want. The beauty is there is no motion inside the box of course, so there is no chance of the fans turning back on, and even if they did, it would only be for a minute or three.
You don't have to use a 2 position switch, but I just don't want a ton of switches on the side of my box. Please let me know what you think.

I've thought about this too and this is the solution I came up with. You take a relay and wire it to provide power when it's grounded. That relay powers your electronic timer (the aforementioned bathroom motion sensor is a great timer option). The timer is connected to an ATX style computer power supply, which gets switched on by the timer and runs the fans.

One could really use this system with any power source, but a 2nd relay would be required.

I posted this elsewhere, but I will give you the best info. The best way to do what you want. Use a thermostat. It turns the fan on at say 100 degrees and turns them off at 100 degrees. When the pj is turned on you will be well over 100 degrees. So it will be on. But after that, when it is cool it will switch back off. Good luck

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.