Light Peak/Thunderbolt, the end of USB/Firewire/HDMi and more?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i may be getting a bit ahead of myself here, but we all know how quickly this market moves and i think the fact its going to hit the ground running considering it already supports everything, will mean the rollout will be fast.

you are still missing the point, not just mac, but mac has it first and i think the others will be soon to follow as soon as they dare in order to catch up. apple dominates these fields that hunger for these sort of speeds, so they will drive it initially. you do realize that apple is actually the single biggest computer firm on the planet now, a brand that is? and that was when they were only 12% i think they are getting towards 20 now

edit: the above % i need to check, could be incorrect info. dell may still be higher

anyone know what they are doing about enterprise? i guess thats where lightpeak comes in

Last edited:
yep, the numbers are totally and utterly wrong in the current market. well its hard to tell if 10% might still be accurate, because the info seems to use the webclients as a way of telling what type of computer you are using, and given mac can run windows natively and quite a few people do this the percentage may be higher than the stated 7% (used to be 10-11) but they still dominate these fields that drive video and audio busses.

wait and see i guess. i'm just getting a bit excited

USB is from Intel, they could kill it anytime it made economic sense... they are probably pushing heavily on the new tech

dave
It's just a bottle of ink right now.

The big manufacturers are fairly set on USB 3.0 and they went ahead without waiting for Intel to offer native support. People from Intel aren't quite clear about their intentions, even if native support for USB 3.0 is still expected from Intel's chipset in Q1 2012. ( Intel, AMD prep USB 3.0 chips for 2012 ).

PS : solid figures on Apple's marketshare are difficult to find. Recent figures for the mobile computers sold during Q4 2010 put Apple first at 17%. But that is only if ipads are included. Otherwise, it's again more like 10% (and that includes a lot of white macbooks). Desktops figures are nowhere to be found (or my googling power is weak ;) ).

It's just a bottle of ink right now.

The big manufacturers are fairly set on USB 3.0 and they went ahead without waiting for Intel to offer native support. People from Intel aren't quite clear about their intentions, even if native support for USB 3.0 is still expected from Intel's chipset in Q1 2012. ( Intel, AMD prep USB 3.0 chips for 2012 ).

PS : solid figures on Apple's marketshare are difficult to find. Recent figures for the mobile computers sold during Q4 2010 put Apple first at 17%. But that is only if ipads are included. Otherwise, it's again more like 10% (and that includes a lot of white macbooks). Desktops figures are nowhere to be found (or my googling power is weak ;) ).

The better way is comparing revenue. I wrote that somewhere before. The revenue compared was between Microsoft and Apple. In 2003 was something like MS vs Apple - Microsoft had something 400 to 600 times bigger revenue. In 2009 that ratio is 3 - 4 times. It is simply a mind boggling growth. Yes that includes iPods and iPhones but that amount of market penetration stimulate huge growth on the computer hardware side as well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.