'LGT' Construction Diary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ShinOBIWAN said:
A member on here named Thylantyr(name=terrorizer in the link) posted a long and not entirely factual dissection of my more recent DIY exploits.

Its a riveting read so enjoy :)

http://www.createforum.com/petereur...days=0&postorder=asc&start=0&mforum=petereuro

Hey Shin, had a look at the link. Dunno personally about all the behind the scenes crap but I browsed around a bit...seems to be a lot of pent up anger and frustration floating around there!!!

Whilst I'm at it, to me a PM is just that, personal. I don't like that aspect of publishing personal messages at all.

Anyway can you imagine MY surprise when I found out that I too was on that site!! I've never had any dealings with him (tho I recognise the name thylantr) at all, so was a tad shocked.

Logged on and had a chat, seems the only real problem was that my project was 'bling' heh heh. It hasn't gotten nasty at all, tho I feel you just gotta be that bit careful????

http://www.createforum.com/petereur...days=0&postorder=asc&start=0&mforum=petereuro

Anyway, as a result of a barb at my 'pals on diya' I've just started a challenge here heh heh in a new thread

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=130472.

Lots of questions

Shin, I went through this whole thread and I was left with a bunch of questions that I hope you’ll find the time to answer.

1) How are the plinths attached to the bottom cabinets?
2) How are the three cabinets attached to each other? How is the small standoff achieved?
3) You talked about skinning the baffles with 9mm MDF to make the angles exact, can you explain that procedure? Are you just cutting out pieces of 9mm MDF and gluing them onto the faces of the baffle to cover the cuts you made with the miter saw?
4) How is the felt inlay finished? i.e. is it a full 9mm thickness or is it upholstered to a piece of wood cut to fit and how is everything held in place?
5) You mentioned that you didn’t veneer the cabinets to cover joints, only the baffles. How did you avoid creep on the sides of the cabinets where you have a major joint in the middle running front to back? Did you skin the sides of the cabinets?
6) If you already skinned the baffles with 9mm MDF, why is veneering necessary?
7) I’m really interested in trying out a PCXO and in one of your posts you said that you were going to put together a PCXO primer for first time users. Did that ever get done? If not, do you know of any resources that I can access? (I’m really lost here from sound cards to testing, to application.)

I'm sure I have more questions but I'll have to go back and re-read the thread. Also, all your pics are gone now :bawling:

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Re: Lots of questions

VTstang said:
1) How are the plinths attached to the bottom cabinets?

Just simple 4" screws from the bottom.

2) How are the three cabinets attached to each other? How is the small standoff achieved?

They're just stacked together.

3) You talked about skinning the baffles with 9mm MDF to make the angles exact, can you explain that procedure? Are you just cutting out pieces of 9mm MDF and gluing them onto the faces of the baffle to cover the cuts you made with the miter saw?

Its pretty much as you say. I glued 9mm on the 4 layers 18mm to cover up most of the joints.

4) How is the felt inlay finished? i.e. is it a full 9mm thickness or is it upholstered to a piece of wood cut to fit and how is everything held in place?

The recess is 9mm and I use a 6mm ply former to attach material. This then slots into the gap. I use double sided 1mm thick sticky foam to attach and this allows the whole thing to sit flush with the baffle. You could also velcro if you felt the need to have it removable.

5) You mentioned that you didn’t veneer the cabinets to cover joints, only the baffles. How did you avoid creep on the sides of the cabinets where you have a major joint in the middle running front to back? Did you skin the sides of the cabinets?

Depending the way the MDF is orientated then its either fussy or unfussy about joints showing. If you've got the end of the MDF against a face then that's when joints tend to show. If you've got two faces butt up together then I've never had any problem so I don't veneer in these situations.

6) If you already skinned the baffles with 9mm MDF, why is veneering necessary?

Its only partially skinned in 9mm. Once you cut with the mitre saw to create the facets then your reveal the laminations once again and its these that I veneered.

7) I’m really interested in trying out a PCXO and in one of your posts you said that you were going to put together a PCXO primer for first time users. Did that ever get done? If not, do you know of any resources that I can access? (I’m really lost here from sound cards to testing, to application.)

The guide never got finished.

This is one of the better resources around on PCXO:

http://www.duffroomcorrection.com/wiki/Main_Page

And here's another on computers being used for high quality playback:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/

Also, all your pics are gone now :bawling: [/B]

I deleted the photo's as they were being used by undesirables to paint me and my efforts in a bad light. Shame because they've spoilt it for me and others but I'd rather it be that way than put up with the personal attacks. Maybe once they've got bored and find some new victim I'll put them back up.

Thanks ShinOBIWAN for an answer.

I have other FAQs I have seen in your project LGT, which inside the box has an internal structure that takes WinSd The volume occupied by such a structure?. If not, as I calculate it, or you can say what you need to have account?.
Thanks in advance and a greeting.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Hi ackcheng, the chassis that I want to use (it has not yet purchased), is the model 679M ATI Research.No can make comparison of NX400 synergy with the NXV500 that enters this week that it purchases, ready when you have put a post to compare the two amplifiers.

Greetings.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
ackcheng said:
Shin,

Are you using HFX cases for all your amps? Looks very nice. What about your main computer what chassis do you use?

All cases are HFX including PC. As you might already know they're PC cases but very easily adaptable to amplifiers. The trickiest bit is fabricating a new rear panel. I'm hoping to get Tim Foad who's a friend on here to do mine.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Yes I'm still waiting for someone to combine the heatsink cooling with a nice touch screen myself but for now the HFX is a nice case and can be completely silent with the right choice of components. Will be interesting to see if you manage to get a screen to work successfully with the HFX.

Shin.
Post in 1709, do not know if I've understood correctly I do not think that's why you have not answered me.
My question is that the design of your choice LGT, in vented closed configuration, instead of bass-reflex, since the audiotechnology you use are good for my configuration in the bass-reflex.
I hope your answer. Greetings

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.