'LGT' Construction Diary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
I'm sure we can work something out.

Arthon, who runs ATI Research, could maybe post the case directly to you in France. I guess doing that would mean no postage saving but you'd still save on the quantity discount. Or maybe it would work out cheaper if I had them all shipped to me and then I forward them onto others. It really needs looking into and I haven't given it too much thought yet. It might not even be that attractive should the savings be on the low side

I'll get the latest price list from Arthon and post case prices in the groupbuy thread should it happen.

ShinOBIWAN said:
You don't think 3kw into 8ohms is enough?

Maybe I didn't pay attention in this thread, but did you
plan to use the GB300's to power your drivers?

http://www.ska-audio.com/diy/003.html

"300W into 8ohms on unregulated +/-75V supplies! "

Clipping headroom is 75 volts not counting losses.
[assuming two modules can be bridged, 150v headroom
not counting losses].

PLX3402 clipping headroom not counting losses;
Stereo mode: 130 volts
Bridge mode: 260 volts

This is typical of class H amps. And class H is really a class AB
amp with at least two power supply tiers, hence the ability
to have higher clipping headroom. Don't fear class H.

There is nothing wrong with GB300 modules to power your
system where you use multiple modules for each drivers, this
will be superior to a normal setup, but there is potential to
have much greater clipping headroom, very high SQ, and
the cost is very affordable, and no need to DIY your amp.

You are making a unique loudspeaker and a design like
this would be cool with an extra-ordinary power plant.

RE: amp sound
A proper ABX test will resolve this issue.

RE: Lambda bass I am feeding Pass Lab X600 which are giving me around 1300W at 4 ohm. No other amp could drive these monsters

I have ten Lambda Apollo 15" woofers. I can make a big list of
amplifiers that can drive these woofers well and the amps
are very affordable compared to exotic high priced home amps.

:cool:

This project is going to turn-out nice!

It might not be quite as "dynamic" in the midbass and lower bass as you perhaps would otherwise have desired, but it should have a very non-compressed "easy and free" sound that is detailed while being quite "detached" from the loudspeakers.

You might even prefer this tonally, compared to a higher eff. design, when considering your amplification and your favorable impressions with the KEF loudspeakers.

Long story short - I think you'll have a B I G :D on your face when its completed.;)

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
ScottG said:
:cool:

This project is going to turn-out nice!

It might not be quite as "dynamic" in the midbass and lower bass as you perhaps would otherwise have desired, but it should have a very non-compressed "easy and free" sound that is detailed while being quite "detached" from the loudspeakers.

You might even prefer this tonally, compared to a higher eff. design, when considering your amplification and your favorable impressions with the KEF loudspeakers.

Long story short - I think you'll have a B I G :D on your face when its completed.;)

Its interesting you should mention dynamics. The AT's aren't the most explosive drivers I've heard but what they do is equally alluring - smooth with unforced detail and a quite amazing naturalness of tone. Its a big, lush and dense sound.

It isn't all sweet though, I feel they occasionally sound too soft. I remember listening to tracks on the Perceives that really exploded into the room but the AT's have the edge missing, they're not losing any detail because they probably have more than the ATC's but they just don't have the same "electricity in the air" feeling. To be fair the ATC's had a real knack for that live quality and the AT's are certainly lower in apparent colouration.

All in all, you'll no doubt be correct about that grin.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Nice one Shin!

This 'softness' I have picked up in Peak Consult demos too.

I believe you can see about that issue better when crossing actively as you will.

In case LGT has a nit to pick in the speaker's sound in the end, don't worry! I have a 5 month niece to introduce to the name donor so they can design their Lego speaker. She already went to Bahrein F1 circuit and associated with the English!

Attachments

• melinabahreinf1.jpg
    melinabahreinf1.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 893
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.