'LGT' Construction Diary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
I've had some good fun with the RAAL's and AT mid's this past week and didn't quite expect to play around with them for so long but the RAAL's really are something else. Funs over though and I need to press on with the cabinets.

Veneering of the two completed baffles is now finished. It turned out well and almost seems a shame to paint over that work but I prefer the 'tech' look of the silver/black gloss finish.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Also did the routing detail on the plinths. These are now ready for spraying. I've decided to go with a matt black finish because experience has told me that a gloss black plinth + vacuum cleaner = scratched to hell. The matt black should be little more forgiving.

Still no sign of the Spectra Deflex panels and I need those before I can seal up the mid/bass enclosures, add the 9mm outer layers and then start to prime in preperation for finishing. Nevermind there's still plenty to do.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
sq225917 said:
shin, are you going to be selling tickets for their unveiling.

i can think of a bunch of sheffield forum locals, myself included, who would pay for a good seat... :)

or will we have to wait for the DIY fest?

I'll be lucky if these are ready by then, well what I mean to say is ready to listen to. The cabinet and finishing work should certainly be finished but the XO...

So if I'm happy enough with the sound I'll let them play but if not then I'll just be bringing one along for folks to have a look at. That way I get off the hook :D

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Re: Unveiling

Grumpy_Git said:
I thought the whole UkMeet was based around the fact that everyone wanted to get close and personal to Shins latest attempt?

Strange, I thought it was the beer. :)

If he pulls out now we won't be able to criticise his work.... :D

Nick.

You've got to leave a back door for these things, an escape plan if you like, just incase it all goes ritz up! :D

Besides you know I won't be able to resist come the time. It might be a good thing if they aren't sounding right. That way I get valuable feedback and maybe even just tweak right there and then with the help of you lot.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Re: Unveiling

Grumpy_Git said:
If he pulls out now we won't be able to criticise his work.... :D

I have his address. ;)

Attachments

• crow.jpg
    crow.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,205
ShinOBIWAN said:

Still no sign of the Spectra Deflex panels and I need those before I can seal up the mid/bass enclosures, add the 9mm outer layers and then start to prime in preperation for finishing. Nevermind there's still plenty to do.

The chaps who make deflex panels make them in batches, when they get large enough orders. Unless you have ordered a large quantity, you may have to wait for a few weeks. I waited for nearly 2 months. They (the pads) are quite oily, and need to be scrubbed with lots of detergent, and then lightly sandpapered, to make the surface receptive to glue of any sort.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I would cancel the order and use bitumen pads. I have used once this Deflex panel and did nothing for standing waves, plus it added no appreciable damping because the enclosure was thick and well braced mdf. A poor experiment as it turned out. Had to stuff some wadding too in the end.
I guess it would have been better to use it in some 12mm ply non braced boxes ala BBC or Harbeth style.

I was tempted to say the same thing about cancelling it, we already know ts diffusive capabilities will be zilch.

How about some of that 6mm green board you can find at places like Wicks for going under laminate flooring (I think). It seems about the right density to use as an internal layer in the cabinet and then stuffing from there on.

This stuff - http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/620000

It is not the same as the squashy underlay for carpets, it is denser.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
nirmal said:

The chaps who make deflex panels make them in batches, when they get large enough orders. Unless you have ordered a large quantity, you may have to wait for a few weeks. I waited for nearly 2 months. They (the pads) are quite oily, and need to be scrubbed with lots of detergent, and then lightly sandpapered, to make the surface receptive to glue of any sort.

I see, thanks for the information. I was going to give them a ring next week sometime to chase up but after all the comments I think I'll be wasting money and time, I also didn't realise they weren't self adhesive!

So will cancel and just use something else.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.