• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Lets settle the b+ on cold tubes issue!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I did not ask about a price; I've asked about what happens to it.

I know about it no more than I know about amplification tubes.
My only point is that I'm trying to protect my investment in extremely high priced tubes that probably I'll not be able to replace with the same. Since some people say that there is a possibility that applying HT while tubes are cold may shorten their life, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

That may well be so – and it may not, I don't have any evidence either way.
I just purchased quad NOS Telefunken EL156 which cost me a fortune. Once the first of that quad will meet its' maker, I will not have the money to purchase another one and I'll have to switch to other tubes, not as good as Telefunken EL156.
Thus, my instinct says to apply HT delay – better be safe than sorry.
Hi !
I dont think you need to buy another quad,because as far as i know the EL156 can last 50 000 hours,if not overdriven. So,if you use them 2 or 3 hours a day ,they will last many and many years! but is like you say- better be safe than sorry- Use the HT delay!
icon12.gif

Silvino

In a SET amp I have, a Chinese EL156 met its' maker after about a month. A couple of Russian 6550 lasted only few months.

Russian 6550 look like 6П27С. They are rugged enough tubes, and work years in guitar amps that abuse them. If EL156 died in your amp, they may work there in regimes way above specs. No filament magic can help.

GU-50 tubes in my amps work several years, no sign of sound degradation. However, their technology and materials are superior to used in production of civil tubes like EL34, 6550, EL156, etc...

Sorry a bit late catching all this, working away again, 80 hour weeks:(

That artical is indeed the work of Morgan Jones. It was published in Electronics World around 2002/3. I have the magazine at home somewhere.

Sorry to go OT a bit but great topic and something I have often thought about. Even KV rated indirectly heated rectifiers in old kit dont have a delay so the whole poisoning/ion bombardment thing is a myth (unless they are gassy).

Cheers Matt.

Last edited:
Just thought a bit about it (again, probably already thought this and forgot:))

Rectifiers, especially >1KV jobs have a rather hard time whilst warming up. The warming cathode will be hotter in some areas causing more localised heating through extra current density in that area. In the norm this would be no probs as the cathode area is vast. In extreme cases it could damage the cathode (unlikely). All this is also made worse by the high current peaks charging the caps up.

Signal valves and output valves do not suffer in this way. The only thing that can really do them in (in this way) as Wavebourn correctly states is slamming the HT on to them with a standby switch/relay.

Even with SS rectification a standby arangement is not needed.

It is only needed to protect caps from over voltage and in large transmitter type apps such as induction heating etc to protect the sometimes extremely expensive power supply components.

Perhaps a not ideal compromise is slowly ramping up the supply with SS parts that become obsolete over night?

Cheers Matt.

Are bias adjustment potentiometers good or bad ?

It does not matter, good or bad potentiometers to use to bias tubes such a way so they will die young and blooming.

Please don't think I advocate Russian tubes, they usually have spread of parameters wider than barn gates. It is a well known fact. But they have in datasheets warning that more than one parameter can't be at maximum, otherwise it will die younger.

Last edited:
To all who think warming up indirectly-heated cathodes is a waste of time - can you prove that J.H. van de Weijer's note, that appeared in 1996 (rec.audio.tubes) is wrong?

The NV-Philips man suggests that heating the cathode causes stray charge on loose cathode particles to leak away - which stops them being drawn to grid-1 where they may make the grid emissive.

He's not saying this always happens; it depends on the cathode design, materials, the heater cycling history, and probably more. So the kind of argument like 'my table radio has the same valves as installed in 1932 and it still works good' is not enough to deny that warm-up is important for critical applications - and I certainly regard my voltage amplifiers as critical.

Emission from grid-1 makes noise and distortion as well as leakage (which may also be gas), not something we want in any good amplifier.

Maybe we need 500 valves that have been used for 40 years each in SS rectified amps. Hand them over to someone with a serious microscopy facility, and look for old chunks of cathode on them. Until someone offers evidence of that quality, I'll keep warming my valves before the HT goes on!

Attachments

• CathStrip_van_de_weijer.txt
    3.7 KB · Views: 112
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.