Lepai T-Amp with TA2020

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Lepai LP-2020A+ and Dayton B652 speakers from Parts Express are now connected to a laptop with 480 CD's worth of FLAC files. Modest expectations for this near-field setup have been far exceeded by the sound. No mods were done. Just plugged them together and started listening to music. Enjoyable.

Hey guys,
I got a the amp from amazon and I am really loving it but going higher up it start to distort the sound. I got a friend that can get hold of electrical goodies, capacitors, chokes, ect. He offered to get me better capacitors and anything else I would need and replace them for me. He asked me to get a list of things that I would need to he could order them.

I did read the stuff of page 60 but that is for an older model. What changes would you suggest to battle the distortion and just to have higher quality sound all together?

Thank you
broken.png

Is he getting a lot of static as well? I mean even with volume down my speakers are macking high pitched noise which seems to be coming from my pc. When I unplug the 3.5 audio jack from my sound card it stops. If i plug it in ty phone it does not have that noise.

Playing games it just goes crazy, i think it'smy sound card picking up stuff from my graphics card

I bough this cable, hope it helps.

I used Wurth 10uH inductors rated at 4.7A, part number 7447452100. Can be had from Digikey, Mouser, Farnell, and others, about $2 each.

Something I didn't know but have since learned, is that the dot on the inductor should go on the chip side (input side) to reduce EMI.

Those are surface mounted but sure how would I get them on.

Does it matter if it's 4A instead of 3A for these inductors ?

Inductors are capable of More Bass IF your speakers are demanding /capable of it.. Change out inductors as mod step #3 or #4
First step would be to replace those wee green electrolytic caps with ~2.2uF Film and Foil versions I've found that the the Cheap (1$) yellow ones work better than Mundorfs in my Lepais. YMMV tho.

That Electro is likely Fine.
But a physically larger cap also gives advantage... space available allowing.
Stop worrying the coils, Lotsa time for those... later.
Coils are just noise filters in these.
An upgrade is for more amps capability than the early version hair thin wire coils were able to pass .. which restricted flows.. some.

Hey, can anyone tell me how to bypass the tone circuit on the lepai 2020B board? I've already done this successfully on the original 2020A, but the 2020B has surface mount underneath and I can't find instructions for it.

BTW my original 2020 sounds incredible, but this 2020B amp sounds really dull and coarse - the tone controls don't work like on the original, and it seems like flat response requires the treble to be set to about 2 o'clock or more. I'm hoping removing the tone circuit will fix the sound.

It measures 50mV DC offset on one channel too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.