Lepai T-Amp with TA2020

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The QC on the Lepai amps is pretty questionable. Reading through this thread you'll see lots of evidence of this in various iterations of the amp. I bought two A+ models from Parts Express and they have wildly different output levels. Fortunately PE was super helpful in getting the issue resolved. I think they must have had a fair amount of displeased purchasers of this unit so they don't hesitate to help the customer. If possibly I'd recommend buying from them directly and not from eBay sellers. You'll also get the newest version from them (but maybe you'd prefer the thru-hole versions of yore).

@ strictmachine: On my A+ units there's a little thump but nothing that concerns me. Have you popped the top on yours to check which model you have? If you think you'll have to chalk this one up to experience you might just try some of the mods found on this thread (especially if you have an older version). And if you don't consider yourself to be technically minded just think of the great satisfaction you'll feel upon completion... :)

@ strictmachine: On my A+ units there's a little thump but nothing that concerns me. Have you popped the top on yours to check which model you have? If you think you'll have to chalk this one up to experience you might just try some of the mods found on this thread (especially if you have an older version). And if you don't consider yourself to be technically minded just think of the great satisfaction you'll feel upon completion... :)

You mention yours also make a thump. Do the cones of your speakers pop out too ?

Hi, i think it cant power a 2.1

i did buy 2 2020s, first one is a old 2020, i blew the rectifier diode with the evil, evil creative 4.8a transformer and i ordered another lepai, i did repair this one changing the diode

second one i received today is a lp-2020b board

its normal than the 2020 sounds louder than the 2020b ?

Hey there!

My friend is currently thinking about ordering this Lepai amp:

Lepai TRIPATH TA2020+ Amp Mini Hi-Fi Audio Amplifier | eBay UK

However, in his project his amplifier will be placed in a portable stereo, which most likely will be encountered with quite some heat as it will be taken out and played in the sun for several hours in a row.

Therefore, I thought that I would ask you ask if you have any ideas of improving the heat dissipation, as I do not think that the current aluminium enclosure will be sufficient enough at distribution heat away from the amp. It would suck to have your amplifier fried while you are out playing.

Thank you very much in advance :)

Hi, I'm getting major distortion sounds one one channel or no sound at all. I've tried 3 different sets of speakers and 3 different power supplies. The other channel works fine. What should I be looking at to see what the problem is? I've had a look at the board and it all looks relatively clean and no noticeable mistakes.

Thank you.

Hey there!

My friend is currently thinking about ordering this Lepai amp:

Lepai TRIPATH TA2020+ Amp Mini Hi-Fi Audio Amplifier | eBay UK

However, in his project his amplifier will be placed in a portable stereo, which most likely will be encountered with quite some heat as it will be taken out and played in the sun for several hours in a row.

Therefore, I thought that I would ask you ask if you have any ideas of improving the heat dissipation, as I do not think that the current aluminium enclosure will be sufficient enough at distribution heat away from the amp. It would suck to have your amplifier fried while you are out playing.

Thank you very much in advance :)

It will not be a problem under any sircumstances at all. You can heat up the cabinet to 85 degrees celsius and it still won't be a problem.

What can shut the TA2020 chip down due to temperature overload is if the junction temperature exceeds 150 degrees celsius. And that can basically only occur if there's no heatsink attached to the chip at all and you're running 2 ohms speakers.

Hi, total newbie here - i hope you don't mind me asking a few questions.

I'm looking to convert the case from an old 60s transistor radio into an iPod dock, and thought a Lepai TA2020 would be perfect, but have the following questions:

On the new board with surface mounted components, would I still be able to remove and remount the On/Off switch, volume pots, speaker and minijack connections to fit the radio case?

Space is fairly tight - can I remove the board from the aluminium case and fit it into my radio, or is it necessary for heatsink or grounding etc.?

Would these full range drivers be suitable to be powererd by the Lepai?

Many thanks for any assistance you can offer,
Patrick

OK, here is the relay protect circuit as best as I can trace it. It is all surface mount. The thing that concerns me is the connection between the fault/relay circuit and the overvoltage/mute circuit. In the case of Fault going high, I think this would 'toggle' the mute pin which resets the fault. But if the fault condition persists, will this lead to damage to the TA2020?
In my experience it's best to have nothing or an LED & resistor connected to the fault pin. This helps protect the TA2020 IC. :) Anything else is probably asking for trouble.

Even on the early Lepai's, I have no idea what they were trying to achieve with the diode connected to the fault pin, I always removed this diode after the TA2020 died on my Lepai.

Last edited:
In my experience it's best to have nothing or an LED & resistor connected to the fault pin. This helps protect the TA2020 IC. :) Anything else is probably asking for trouble.

Even on the early Lepai's, I have no idea what they were trying to achieve with the diode connected to the fault pin, I always removed this diode after the TA2020 died on my Lepai.

That's exactly what I did in the end...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.