Legendary speakers..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The Auratone!

Attachments

• auratone.jpg
    auratone.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 5,999
probably nobody ever heard of those....

Visonik David 50
- made by Heco-Hennel (Germany) in the 70`s
This speaker got a lot of good reputation and as a minimonitor has been used in many recording and broadcasting studios worldwide.
I read somewhere that since today over 2 millions! of them have been sold (on the Visionik website they say that 1985 was the year 1 million have been sold) - so it actually might be the world most sold HiFi-speaker.

It`s a 2-way speaker in a supertiny (1 ltr volume) aluminium cast enclosure.
A few month ago I aquired a pair and for that size they sound just great. I`m going to mate them with a small active subwoofer and I bet this will be a killer system in regard to sound/size relationship.

After more than 30 years, Visonik is still in the business and in their current production line is a speaker almost identical to the David 50.

Best Speakers EVER

APOGEE Scintilla 1 ohm setup, biamped

You needed two mortgages:
- the first for buying the speakers and the amps to drive them
- the second for buying a house with the *right* room where to put them

But boy.... I've never heard anything coming even close to them

i'm surprised nobody mentioned the Klipsch horns. Now this is a speaker that has been reason for argument over and over again but still, imho, it's a legend.

don't shoot me for this one... maybe not a legend but most certainly worth it's money. I picked up a pair for 50 euros in good condition on an auction site. Spent 15 euros on epoxy and new filling and ~25 euros for a pair of new crossovers.

for starting audiophiles: b&w 220(i).
it's pretty hard to get more quality (and bass extension) for the few bucks you pay for them

three mods necessary:
- rebuild the crossovers with more decent components (if anyone needs a schematic...). It's a pretty simple crossover so this won;t cost too much.
- replace the old filling with something that doesn't sink to the bottom of the cabinet
- for the more adventurous diyers: an extra coating of the bottom speaker. i used "injection" or "impregnate" epoxy, very fluid. three droplets were enough for one cone and, weighed with a postal-scale, added something like 0,7 grams to the total cone weight. A slight impedance peak at 26 Hz but way lower and better response in the lower frequencies.

I am happy to see some AR fans on this forum!!

I've always drooled at my cousin's AR-11, the next gen AR-3. Its too bad he is 6000 miles away on the opposite side of the globe. The bumble bee-butt midrange really has some magic in it. AR-3a sound awesome too.

I would say the runner up would be a pair of AR-2ax.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.