• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Legato or IVY III outputs for Buffalo II?

One other note, even if you don 't use the optional class A buffer the output impedance at the balanced outputs is pretty low. Something like 150 Ohms. Many people will elect to go this route to drive power amplifiers as even a 10K load would work just fine, in fact the only effect of the load would be to very slightly attenuate the signal and of course change the corner of the high pass.

Hi Russ,

I wonder if the Legato concept can be extended to build a power amp. Though we have the chipamp based Sympatico, a well-designed discrete amp will likely have much better performance and this offering would sound very very tempting.

That would be nice. Even with 20 watts it can drive many full range, high efficiency speakers.

Russ or Brain,

please check the description of Legato at twistedpearaudio.com.

The text seems to be a copy of IVY.

Cheers

matthias

This was a temporary error. I am using the IVY page as a template for the Legato page and was not done editing it.

For those who have ordered an IVY but are thinking they want a Legato instead, I will be adding an option to the Legato page for "Swap my IVY for a Legato". If you select this option, I will ship you a Legato instead of IVY and refund the price difference.

At this point, the only think holding up Legato sales is measuring the total kit weight for automated shipping cost calculations.

I hope to have it all ready to order tonight.

Transformer coupling

If one were to transformer couple the output of the Legato (balanced to balanced) one could likely omit the output caps, and maybe even the filter circuit caps (considering output transformer bandwidth ~150 kHz), is my thinking correct here?
Looking forward to using the Legato, thanks!

If one were to transformer couple the output of the Legato (balanced to balanced) one could likely omit the output caps, and maybe even the filter circuit caps (considering output transformer bandwidth ~150 kHz), is my thinking correct here?
Looking forward to using the Legato, thanks!

Sure, it should work fine, but I have not tried it. One could also do such a thing balanced to SE.

Cheers!
Russ

Russ,

Like barrows, I too am keen on experimenting with the Legato. I know it is still early days, but when you get some time, could you please post details (either in the forum or as a manual) on which components to omit to remove the LPF, buffer, output caps etc..

I have ordered my Legato too :)