• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Legato 3 - Look ma! No caps!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ah, interesting. I've been driving a pair of Grado RS-2s, balanced, off the BII+IVY for a while now, and am quite enamored with the sound (and silence!) they produce.

The Buffalo was my first DIY project, but I couldn't be happier with the results. Thank you, Russ and Brian, for sharing sharing the fruits of your creativity and labor with all of us.

I have a Legato en route, and look forward to hearing how it drives the cans. From the above, it sounds like I'll want to try them both balanced and single-ended. Russ, any additional advice I should heed when using them balanced from the Legato as compared to IVY? The Grados are really low impedance, something like 32 ohms.

Also in the queue: some Tridents to attach and a Denon in need of DSD surgery... ;)

David

One good reason to do two Legato 3.1 with one Buf III would be precisely for balanced headphones. Because you will be taking full advantage of the buffers.

That looks like a great bang-for-buck upgrade

How do you wire the Legato again?

Wire two Legatos in parallel with the BII (Yes, BII) outputs: on in-phase and the other anti-phase; when using single-ended headphones, use any one Legato; when using balanced headphones, use the right buffers of the two Legatos for right channel and the left buffers for the left channel?

Here are some strategies you can take if you like.

- For balanced output only connect GND on one end, the DAC or the Amp or don not connect GND at all. Most balanced amplifiers really don't need GND connected at all. Make sure with your DMM that you do not have any onnectivity between GND on the DAC and GND on the amp...

If I remember this is not recommended-possible to go with GND lifted with L2 only now with L3. Am I right?

That looks like a great bang-for-buck upgrade

How do you wire the Legato again?

Wire two Legatos in parallel with the BII (Yes, BII) outputs: on in-phase and the other anti-phase; when using single-ended headphones, use any one Legato; when using balanced headphones, use the right buffers of the two Legatos for right channel and the left buffers for the left channel?

No you can't wire legato's in parallel ever. :) because the legato is a low impedance. (virtual GND).

This is why you need Buffalo III. because you could split each channel up into two sections. :) Effectively having 4 channels.

Buffalo must be stereo or mono, thus that configuration is not possible.

You best bet for Buffalo II would be to use IVY III. Or to get creative with Ventus/Ventus EZ. :) I could think of several possibilities there.

No you can't wire legato's in parallel ever. :) because the legato is a low impedance. (virtual GND).

This is why you need Buffalo III. because you could split each channel up into two sections. :) Effectively having 4 channels.

Buffalo must be stereo or mono, thus that configuration is not possible.

You best bet for Buffalo II would be to use IVY III. Or to get creative with Ventus/Ventus EZ. :) I could think of several possibilities there.

Obviously :) it is current drive...

OK, how about BII -> LIII and wiring a Ventus EZ on each channel anti-phase?. LIII has two Ventus EZ equivalent wired in-phase.

Any ETA on the manual? Expecting a package in the mail today ;)

I just finished it up, But I will let my editor (Brian, bless him) look at it before we publish it. :)

In the mean time here is enough info to get you going:

Construction Options
The Legato is a pretty straightforward build. C1-C4 can either filter to GND or the positive rail. I prefer GND. Please note J5 and J6 are only used if the buffers are omitted - otherwise do not populate.

Completely omitting the opamp based BAL/SE stage:
Omit: SW1, IC1, IC2, IC3, C17,C18,C11,C12, L1, L2, R17 – R26 and R33 – R36, as well as VR3 and VR4

Completely omitting only the SE buffer:
Omit: IC2, IC3, and optionally L1 and L2. Then install jumpers at J5 and J6.

First Run and Initial Adjustment
1. Ensure the supply is not connected to the Legato and that the Legato outputs are not connected to anything.
2. Adjust the power supply rails to 12-15VDC.
3. Power off the supply and connect the supply to the Legato then power back on.
4. Adjust VR1 and VR2 so voltage between + and – on the balanced outputs measures 0VDC.
5. If the BAL/SE stage is used adjust VR3 and VR4 until the SE output on each side is at 0VDC.
6. It is now safe to wire the outputs with the power off. Add AC coupling capacitors to the balanced outputs in the unlikely event your application requires it.
7. Power back up and repeat steps 4 and 5.
8. Enjoy the music!

Russ,

Thanks for the synopsis, I am also eagerly checking the mailbox! - The Placid BP HD should also arrive, but that looks straightforward enough to set up without a manual!

Probably the wrong thread, but is the TP Support forum down? It's not letting me log in, even after resetting passwords. There seem to also be no recent posts as a result.

Regards

Martin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.