• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Legato 3 - Look ma! No caps!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Oneoclock (and sometimes with me) measured two Legatos III (Identical), one Legato II, and one IVY, one system with Salas power supplies and other with Placid's (No big differences here).

In our the listening tests, the champion is the Legato III, the Legato II sound is very close to the III but a bit veiled in comparision (very very close sound).

Hi Russ, I have a question about buffers.

I have a buffer-less Legato 3.1 and, until recently, I was using it's balanced outputs going into Ventuses for balanaced to SE conversion (thus buffers were not needed anyway).

But now I've switched to using integrated BAL/SE section (sound is much better, BTW), and was wondering, is it worth transplanting those buffers from Ventuses to the Legato?

If I understood correctly, the buffers are useful if feeding headphones directly, but I'm feeding a SS amp, would I gain something sound or stability wise?

Thanks,
Fedor.

Just got...

around to installing Supertex FETs in my L-II. My subjective impression indicates a slight improvement in dynamics and very low level detail...
At some point I will upgrade to a complete L-III.
BTW, I would expect more open sound in the high frequencies considering the revised analog filter cut off on the L-III, is anyone finding that?

I have measured another IVY Buffalo II from a friend. And my BuffaloII with LegatoIII under identical conditions. My friend Ivy is also the original components of Twisted Pear Audio.

As the tone level is very close to +8 dBu maximum sensitivity meter I have done +14 dBu max. sensitivity meter to avoid saturation problems. Although measures have more background noise.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I am actually not entirely surprised by the result at 0dbfs. The reason being the high output of the IVY-III first stage. There are a couple of things you could do to make it a more fair comparison.

1) Reduce the 1st stage I/V resistors by half.

or....

2) Run the test at -6dbfs.

I am really so pleased that Legato performs this well. It s really even better than I expected.

Cheers!
Russ

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.