LED from speaker signal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all,

I'm close to finishing a pair of TL/BR set of speakers (I might copy the build progress from another forum here to share with everyone.)

Now I was wondering.

I'd like them to stay classy, but I'd also like something that gives that little bit of extra.

The BR is at the bottom (the speakers are 90cm high).

And I was wondering: how cool wouldn't it be to have some warm orange glow come from under the speakers through the bassreflex, visible only when dark and pulsating in sync with the music.

I know it's easy to sync leds to music, but here's my catch:
  • I'd like nothing too complex
  • I don't want to hook up an external powersource to the speakers
  • I don't want the leds to alter the audio signal in any way. Or only when absolutely without fidelic harm

My guess it that it isn't possible, I need to get the power from the leds from somewhere and if I take it from the signal, that should alter it, no?

Any ideas, confirmations?

Many thanks :D
Dries

I have some very small PCB's which are to show how much current is entering your speakers (a sort of visible protection thing) and they can be configured to flash at different levels depending on how powerful your amp is and the level of "protection" required. They are attached to the speaker terminals and need no separate PS.

I amn sure that somewhere like Jaycar would sell something similar.

Thanks! Yet I've tried to find them and can't seem to. Is there anything similar on farnell/rs components? Or if the schematic is available on jaycar, that's ok as well.

And are you sure they don't affect the signal? They are to be put into some 90cm high floorstanders with pearles SDS164 and TFF27 tweeters.

Dries

Thanks! Yet I've tried to find them and can't seem to. Is there anything similar on farnell/rs components? Or if the schematic is available on jaycar, that's ok as well.

And are you sure they don't affect the signal? They are to be put into some 90cm high floorstanders with pearles SDS164 and TFF27 tweeters.

Dries

Hi, Of course they are affecting the signal and will not be visible until ~1 W 2.83V Rms is passively drawn and is input to the speaker(s). About minimum 3% of available speaker current is needed for to make the led's to 'glow'.

LED power indicator to use inside speaker enclosure or power amp - YouTube

b:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.