• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

LED choice in cathode biasing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What do you think about this?

Attachments

• Immagine.jpg
    Immagine.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,004
How do you control 2mV/˚C? With a typical forward voltage of .7V and assumed operating range 10-40˚C, temp drift can be quite a bit!

10 degrees? What are you operating in, a chiller?

realistically, 20-40 degrees, 2mV/degree is 0.04V shift maximum, or around 6%. A resistor is going to be around that anyway, let alone the specs on the tube itself.

Additionally, once AT its operating temp, there would be minimal drift - it may range around 25% of what we are discussing (35 - 40 degrees) so the drift becomes insignificant.

The 1Nx types are noisy. Also, the forward voltage varies quite a bit with temperature..

Well, yes … as do all diodes including LEDs. They all follow essentially the same exact response formula, don't they?

I = IS (( e(VD / nVT) - 1) where
VT = kT/q;

The only thing that changes is the 'n' and the IS reverse bias saturation current. Which of course is different for each PN junction material bandgap and so on.

You may do better with non 1Nxx diodes, but essentially the same parameter(s) are at play. The usual method of quenching most of that noise is to insert a 47 Ω resistor in series with the stack, and a 4700 μF smoothing/bypass capacitor around it the thing. But purists will balk at using capacitors.

If temperature compensation is what's desired, then I personally would abandon the LED (or diode-chain) technique, and just buy-or-build a small, well regulated, negative voltage supply to bias the grid where you want it to be. Since it supplies next-to-no current, filtering is easy.

Anyway… I've got to get back to construction. With nails and putty. That kind.

GoatGuy

I mean to improve the Bottlehead, I wonder if can be the way for approaching the "speedball" (I don't have it)

plug your headphones in the computer output jack...

- apple output are very bad no matter which computer/ipod/phone

- pc gaming motherboard's some have very good chips. /tried julii and audiophile"" cards, mod them, minor improvement not even worth the trouble.

I guess that is a sad dose of reality.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.