Led blinking on ta2020 and smps after new caps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After playing with my Arjan helder ta2020 for a time I went for upgrading the powercap from elna 4700uf 35v to 2 times nichicon 4700uf 100v.

The led on the the SMPS and the ta2020 do switch on but now blinks, I have tried to find post about this but can't find them. It is probably simple and I am just over looking something....

For the meanwhile I back to the elna, but I really want to know what I am missing.

What is the brand of SMPS? If Connexelectronic brand you could easily speak with Cristi directly. If a diy or other brand, one could use a hybrid soft start of sorts...

Charge the filter caps through a resistor after the SMPS to limit the current and then switch the resistor out of circuit. If you are really crafty you could do this 100% diy on a PCB, either making your own or using a purchased kit and altering it. Most soft starts are designed for use on the AC side, not the DC side. These kits are fully automatic with relays.

If you want down and dirty... Just get a properly rated toggle switch to bypass the resistors. This is probably frowned upon by someone, oh well. Let them complain. This method is brutally simple... Proper rated resistor in line with the DC+, a toggle switch in parallel. Flip the switch to open position to start up, then flip again to close and to bypass the resistors. Simple. If using dual DC rails, then you need 2 resistors and a double pole, single throw switch. These are cheap and readily available at any real hardware/automotive store. Pay attention to voltage ratings and current ratings please.

I suppose you can get down in the weeds of the details by calculating an inline choke/inductor to limit the current rise, but will drop some voltage at higher current levels. I am unclear of your knowledge level, hence the simple to complex answer. I'm a redneck with a degree, smart enough to know better, but still find it is fun to find new uses for duct tape!

Last edited:
Refit the Original Cap. Clearly the inrush current is too much for the supplied bits in that Amp circuit. Or possibly even the Cheap *** SMPS.
The Tripath data sheet lists 2 x 180 uf caps .
But Hey! what would Tripath know.
Bigger is better.. every internet inmate knows that :)

In the world of DIY there is no incorrect answer. There are answers that result in burnt components and death, and then there are answers that result in success. It is the person doing the DIY that determines how to measure the success. In this instance the individual asked a question, probably with little knowledge of electronics judging by the question and expected an answer. After his question sat unanswered due to the brilliant minds of this website not wanting to be bothered, I replied. Since my ghetto fabulous redneck suggestion of a toggle switch instead of a new, custom pcb the criticism begins. If anyone wants to modify anything they are assuming a risk of it not working, blown parts, or even death. The OP is beyond that already, he has made the decision, and is asking support.

For reference...
The original post referenced a helder audio products mk3 ta2020 which uses a single 6800uF capacitor belonging to him, in actual operation. I did look this up to confirm a person is not replacing a tiny cap with essentially a battery of a cap in order to make is sound like a $40k class a amp. Connexelectronics also manufactures a ta2020 with 2 x 10000uF caps installed. I did verify this prior to my stupid comments to ensure I did not disappoint someone trying to achieve unrealistic expectations by using my stupid ideas.

If tripath was correct about everything, why are they no longer in business?

I have bin away for while so sorry for the late reply. Thanks for your input. I have changed the original cap back and now it gets strange. The led keeps blinking when I turn it on, but when I disconnect the speakers and reconnect them the blinking stops....

When I turn off and on again it's the same cycle...

And on the moment just before they are disconnecting your can hear the blinking thru the speakers as soft ticks....

The led on the the SMPS and the ta2020 do switch on but now blinks, I have tried to find post about this but can't find them. It is probably simple and I am just over looking something....

For the meanwhile I back to the elna, but I really want to know what I am missing.

SMPS don't like highly inductive or capacitive loads.
The SMPS takes care of smoothing so you need very little on your amplifier boards.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.