• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Leak Stereo 20 - Johan's Square Wave Theory

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Staff will not allow their outside activities to interfere with their BBC work or allow any conflict between their duties and their private interests to affect their ability to carry out those duties effectively;
Staff will not make use of or exploit the BBC’s name, their connection with the BBC or information obtained in the course of their duties to further their own private interests or those of any outside organisation, to the detriment of the BBC;
Staff will not act in a manner likely to bring the BBC into disrepute or to affect its reputation for impartiality.

Think that's what you were getting at, not quite the same thing I'm sure you'll agree.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2004
Hi Jules.

Ooohhh, Ray doesn't like Leaks much does he?
True, but it's not only me :D . I suppose I wouldn't feel so much aversion to Leak if they had been a little more honest in their literature. They behaved in a way thet was quite elitist, though they had no right to do so IMHO.

I built one half of a Leak Stereo 20 back in 1961 when I was a kid, using one of the OPTs (a Parmeko) marketed at that time for use by hobbyists building the Mullard 5-10 amp. I also built one half of a (cut-down) Varislope preamp to go with it. I didn't know any better then, or I probably would have built something else, but it worked OK ( I think the Parmeko tranny helped a lot).

Hi Ray, I can see why you might consider the engineering a bit flakey, I don't use the preamp so there's less stress on the transformer.
I have two ST 20 amps, one on loan to a friend who now watches very little TV, so something must be right.
The sound from the pre is pretty dire from what I remember, and comprehensively outperformed by an Alps pot in a box.
The St 20 that I use has the large Border Patrol power supply to run it, just using the original transformer to power the heaters.
I haven't run any measurements on it so can't argue with you there, all I will say is that some of the best sounding stuff measures pretty bad, and if measurement was the be all , then Japanese integrated amps from the eighties would be sonic bliss.
Regards, Jules

I had a Leak stereo 20 as my first valve amp. It was a definite step up from my Zen V3. I loved it for its hang in the air top end - lovely and shimmery. The bass was rubbish though and in the end it was just to overly sweet sounding. Sold it and went DIY. I agree that it was great with passive preamps.

Shoog

The BP supply helps the bass, but it's never going to be tight,
goes quite low though, through the Snells.
As someone who thumps away on a bass guitar from time to time you'd think that it would bother me but it doesn't,
agree on the rest of it, cymbals and toms, vocals etc sound superb.
Jules

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.