Lead vs. Silver solder

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, I nearly believe you.
Now return the tin silver solder joint to tin lead and listen again.
Then change the other channel to tin silver and listen.
And if your imagination is up to being tested any further do both in tin silver and listen.

Agree with Andrew here.

If the silver sounds better, leave it, change the other one.

Use the lead only for gluing, not as inter-conductor. I.e. bent the leg of the components properly to the PCB and "glue" it using lead. If the silver one still sound better, I believe it is component issue.

I'd say nonsense too; the resistive difference between eutectic tin/lead and tin/silver would be in the low micro-ohms at most. With a good active flux, clean metal and proper soldering technique, there's virtually no measurable resistive difference.

The claim of "orders of magnitude" difference in conductivity is simply wrong. A more rigorous testing technique is demanded here.

You are right, no big difference in conductivity, (maybe 10% plus for the Sn Ag), what might be more important -as in the case of normal vs. LC copper- is the difference in crystallization structure of the silver solder.
For electrical conductivity, the crystallization makes no difference. The mean free path of the electrons is still less than a millionth of an inch.
Or whatever else, but the difference is definitely there and clearly audible.
If there is a difference that is audible, it is not a consequence of the conductivity of the solder. As I said earlier, I'd look at the other very significant differences.
If you work with it (the silver one) you will notice its higher melting temp, and the different "look" of the joint, it is not as shiny as the tin solder, also looks somewhat "rougher", like a cold solder joint made of tin/lead solder.
Agreed. At one time I was one of the biggest consumers of tin/silver on the planet, and yes the visual is quite different.

Nonsense.
The conduction angle, we agree on. I'm concerned with the temp history and the flux difference.

BTW, should you have access to lab equipment it might be worthwhile to see if any differences show up.
Ciao, ;)
I'm not clear on what he would be measuring.

Oh well, then right.... all cables sound the same, parts quality doesn't make a difference, all this is b...sh.t isn't it?
Come on guys we should show a bit more openness on these subjects, the least I am asking is not to refuse something without getting any more info on it, or actually trying it.....
Actually, I believe the bulk of the people are saying that the conductivity angle is not a correct explanation.

If you could measure a difference, that would lead towards a smoking gun. Right now, all you've presented is anecdotal.

jn

"there's virtually no measurable resistive difference."
And since there is virtually no measurable difference between Radio Schack's 50 cent/meter zip-cord and Nordost's Valhalla, they should sound the same. Is this where we stand in 2014? Sad......

Is this a trick question?
Of course they won't sound any different. Regular old physics still applies to cables.

Is this a trick question?
Of course they won't sound any different. Regular old physics still applies to cables.
Interesting. When I apply regular old physics to those two significantly different cables, I can see how the use would alter the system response.

Hi,
If there's an obvious audible difference between the two channels of the stereo amp then measuring each may give a clue to the cause of it.
Might be noise floor, might be frequency response...
Cheers, ;)
Agreed. OP needs to drive both common signal, send to amp, measure out hot L to out hot R, and let us know what he gets.

Ok, I was wrong.... I thought I heard something, but it was just my imagination.
Perhaps not. However, the explanation of solder conductivity may indeed be imagination.

It's be nice if you could measure the diff though, I'm interested.

jn

Neutron what would you do if I told you I was in a round room?
I would consider the statement inconsequential to the discussion of solders, wires, and resistance. Please stick to topic.
I think my statements in my previous were clear.
Well then, lets go over them piece by piece.

Different types of resistive wire sound different at exactly the same resistance...
On what facts do you base that statement? You've stated nothing factual in support of that, so how exactly is that clear?
so why not solder?
You have prefaced this with a statement about wire resistivity which is unsupported by any factual information in your post. How is the connection clear from your sentence.
It not the resistance but if wire can sound different
Now, you are hedging, saying that if the wires can sound different but if not the resistance.... How exactly is that clear? You've left other possibilities unstated..
I dont see why solder wouldnt.

Stating that one has no factual connections between disjoint entities does not infer causality. Saying that well, ok, maybe it's not resistance but why wouldn't solder sound different? How is that clear?

Had you provided clear arguments, there could be a discussion. For example, the other parameters of a wire pair that solder does not have.

jn

Youve read a lot into the small amount ive said and I'll read into your statements that you're trolling while attempting to appear gentlemanly. If I said they sound different I would assume you could assume I heard the difference. Similar to the way another recent poster heard a difference between two solder types. Troll on neutron..troll on.

As I said, you've not been clear in any way. You have stated anecdotal accounts as factual, in a broken way that certainly is unclear.

And now choose to attack instead of actual discussion.

When you wish to actually discuss, I'm here..

jn

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

What do you base the first part on?

What is the connection between a "wire sounding different" and "why can't solder"?

jn

The premise being that different metals have different sonic fingerprints. (As in having a timbral character of their own)
E.g. copper wire sounds different compared silver, gold, whatever, even when resistivity is compensated for.

That's what I think the poster means.

Cheers, ;)

I never wanted to discuss. I posted in support of another.
Ah, so then attacking me was a perk? Or, was attacking me your way of supporting another?

Either way, you've attacked me in lieu of reasonable discussion.

What you failed to do was consider the possibility that I might believe that wire geometry (RLC) and length can conspire with a speaker's dynamic impedance to make it capable of audible changes to a system.

And that my experience with tin/silver solder is quite significant, as well as the testing of this and other alloys in extreme environments and extreme levels (try testing at the 100 nano-ohm level).

Your first sentence was almost enough that I considered the possibility that you understood wire characteristic impedance, t-line modelling, and system settling time sufficiently to reasonably discuss it's impact on IID and ITD. However, your instant attack mode response has led me to believe otherwise.

jn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.