Leach Amp Modification with Mosfet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greg

I know this is probably not the right thread but I did expresss my doubts here so I thought I should make a full ammendent here aswell.

I studied you cct diagram carefully last night and I have to say I really like it's simple elegance - very neat.

Whenever I see something like that I always think why didn't someone think of this earlier. I now understand the patent application

Is there a thread where this design is discussed ? I would be interested to hear some reactions of people that have built it.

I definitely want to build / hear this but it won't be for a while. Right now I'm up to my neck with my own efforts which are a LITTLE more complex ( which I try to avoid ) but, I think, have similar design goals, and I HOPE, will also sound rather special.

cheers

mike

p.s. what country do you reside in ?

Hi mikelm,

> "I studied you cct diagram carefully last night and I have to say I really like it's simple elegance - very neat." <

Thanks. It's just a dream - worked perfectly first time, excellent stablity and really clean sounding, and detailed! I couldn't ask for a better result.

I'm shipping first orders today!

The Simple killer Amp thread is the one -

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=65286

Cheers,
Greg

Hi BobEllis and still4given,

my deepest heartfelt apologies for the thread hijack. I take full responsibility for starting it at my -

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=763411#post763411

- where they had clearly stumbled on the fact that MOSFETs in SF output config replacing bipolars are naturally wasteful of power and supply resources requiring boosted driver supplies....... all pretty dated tail chasing really. Probably time to move on with the new and leave the past.

Only trying to help. :D

Cheers,
Greg

Guru,

I haven't digested your topology yet, but I will probably give it a try after a few other projects.

The Leach amp boards that Terry and I have (Jens' layout) can be fairly easily modified to feed the VAS with higher rails. (lift one leg of the resistors feeding the stage and connect there, the input stage can be fed separately just by omitting a resistor.)

The Avel toroids I typically buy are not potted, so getting the higher voltage for the VAS just uses a couple lengths of hookup wire, not a whole new transformer. The extra VAS dissipation is less than half a watt - hardly noticeable use of resources in the big scheme of things.

While it may be old hat to you, some of us are looking to demonstrate things to ourselves and learning something along the way. I am interested in seeing what the difference is when making a few changes to a circuit. Can I hear it? Was it worth the trouble?

It just rubs me the wrong way to be told in effect "this is the only way to go." Your topology may well be the last word in sound, and energy efficient to boot. But I still prefer my time on the water wind powered and my wilderness romps on foot. Sure, there are easier, and some would say better, ways to go, but sometimes I like old fashioned way. The little energy I use in my less efficient sound system is a choice I make, and more than offset by my other energy saving choices. My choices may not be right for you, but that doesn't necessarily make them wrong.

Thomas,

Jens (note: his name is not Jen) may be willing to send the gerbers to you. We did a group buy of nearly 200 boards with 6 TO-247 output devices this summer (thanks Gengis).

If you are looking to make the boards yourself, Professor Leach's board layout is an easier to make single sided layout. It wouldn't be too hard to add pads for a third pair of devices with an etch resist pen.

Dear All,
That's what I think going to try ?
Pls advise !

Thomas:whazzat:

Attachments

• leach_mosfet.jpg
    leach_mosfet.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 346
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.