le monstre questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Triode_al,

my subjective experience with increasing feedback is similar to yours. Increasing fb makes sound more like "average" amp.
cleaner but lifeless.
From what i understand of hiraga's research into distortion he aimed for an "even spread" of harmonics.
From experience with my previous monstre i also found out that beefing up ps-lines on pcb and also pcb-connection between output-transistors(speaker-output) makes amp sound a lot better.

Groeten,

Klaas

Another thing is original parts...
I remember having had contact with someone who used BC560's in the schema etc, but the DC points didn't work out.

Anyway, if you would design a PCB, could you take into consideration the original parts/legs? Probably means adding some extra layout.
And if you could organise a group-buy, I suggest ordering fully through-metalised holes, military grade, so it is easier to replace components and soldering stays on better.
albert

Attachments

• lemonstre parts.gif
    lemonstre parts.gif
    12.4 KB · Views: 336
screenshot of "work in progress" (still didn't implement Upupa's proposed filtering of ps for input-stage, due to lack of time):

workinprogress2.jpg

Any comments will be gladly appreciated

but the DC points didn't work out.
can you clarify on that Albert ? don't understand what you mean:(
my monstre is using 2sj103-2sk246-bc560-bc660 and is working fine.
I will definately consider making pcb for original parts, right now i'm not even considering groupbuy - to me this is mainly learning experience- anyone who wishes to use my pcb-design , go ahead.

With kind regards,

Klaas

Hallo Klass,

you are very busy on Easter sunday!

Turn Q1 +Q2 to the left for 90° and set the front of the trans`s to one common line (this had done a friend of mine). Thenit is easy to clip them on a cooper blade.

What is the benefit of splitting the emitter resistors and mount them this style?

Regards

Sam

Sam, as i see it i could turn q1 and q2, but q3 is not possible.Also will destroy symetry on pcb (which i kinda like). I never had problems with dc-drift fyi. splitting emitter-resistors will mean very small inductance and increased reliability.only reason left-side is curved is keeping connection between q6 and t2 short.
placing r's on leftside almost gave me headache :D

With kind regards,

Klaas

masag said:
Hallo Klass, ---
What is the benefit of splitting the emitter resistors and mount them this style?
Sam

Good to split the Emitor res's - they will get less inductance and even at 1 ohm and 0,7-1 amp they do get hot. Low heat is better, otherwise there will be temperature coefficients that will evidently temperature-modulation...
albert

Thanks all again.This is what i came up with before i read your replies:
workinprogres7.jpg

You see Upupas, jumper for feedback is there :) , nice and symmetrical.
I widened tracks in power-section because in my experience sound benefits a lot from wire on pcb.My guess is the widened tracks in combination with soldering all those enitter-resistors works as 'wire'.
Glad somebody noticed Piher pot,which is dreadfull to adjust.
On my very first pcb i posted here i already provided for soldering discrete r's instead of pot, but i will look into this.
Pls let me know what you guys think.
Sam, i'm using Eagle (unlimited version :D )

With kind regards,

Klaas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.