Lateral MOSFET power supply and RMS output power.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I allege that all transformers need such a "soft start" device to allow a close rated fuse to be used.

required power = VA
close rated fuse = VA / Vac

If one chooses not to use a close rated fuse, then the fuse required to prevent nuisance blowing is likely to be around:
fuse = 3 * VA / Vac

To washburn: I read your repply on how the high power p101 will stress less the mosfets, and I think I will go with it.
I will need 8 mosfets, but well, if well built and not stressed they should live longer, warm-up less quickly and the lower the temperature, the better for solid state devices..

I will take this road as soon as I figure it all out, the DC rails for the high power, the PT ratings,( I wish I had found this forum sooner) I mean, use the 4 mosfets but not drive them to it's full potential, lower power but.. 2 units of them in stereo.

Also I think the high power biasing method is more accurate.

Have you mounted the high power p101?

To Andrew: Yes, I agree, if the idea of "soft start" is good for a toroidal it should be good to any toroidal. An enginner would say that we could ignore the fact and assuming that's not noticeable until 300VA. I'm thinking about use these circuits for each channel whatever the trafo ratings, precautions and good design (consideration of all parts when "glued" together) are key.

What about speaker protection? Will it be redundant with the "soft start" or they could go along well? Popped in my mind speaker protection is for not let DC go to speakers, and that soft start helps but...

The output DC could come up even using soft start?

Should I go with speaker protection? Another history altogether.

Thanks and regards.

Soft-start is only for the transformer to limit the inrush current at power up, DC protection is only for the speakers: both "systems" are independent from each other.
There are a lot of DC prot. around the net but, if you like Rod's projects, you can find a DC protection project on his website.

I've just completed 2 P101 modules (high power version) but I didn't test them yet.
I will use them for hifi purpose anyway.

Well, I have the old heatsink, it's alluminium (gray) and the size is around the same, about 30cm, 12 cm but the height is about 2cm. I remember I had difficulties finding it then, and I'm not sure if it's 0,3ºC/W or 0,6ºC/W, I have to check, I think It maybe is ok for one p101 alone.

How much power are you expecting from your p101 high power with this configuraton? (maybe a dumb question, but sunday morning not my best time in the week).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.