• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Large can Capacitors for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coulomb
How fast are these Mepco Caps? I can get the 35kuF -10% 40VDC 60V surge 85ºC for about $8 each, would these be good for any Pass project or is the volt rating too low? Also, which form factor is superior for a low ESR, tall or fat? My guess is tall but fitting them in a case becomes a problem. I am looking for a definitive answer so anyone who knows how these caps will work in a Pass class A power supply, speak up.

would these be good for any Pass project or is the volt rating too low?

The Aelph 5 is powered by a 28 VAC CT transformer. To calculate DCV RMS would go like so.

(28x2)x.7 = 39.2 VDC Assuming Line = 115 VAC

The aelph 3 is powered by 21 VAC CT Transformer, Hence
(21x2)c.7 = 29.4 VDC Assuming Line = 115 VAC

Though the Mepco caps are probably safe for both Amps the Aelph 3 would be your safest bet.

These are old caps and I am not sure how fast they are, as for ESR, these Caps are about the same hieght as the larger caps but it is very narrow in Diameter. I prefer the smaller foot print these Caps offer as well as their responce to line fluctuations. if your on a budget, you take wht you can get.

:)

How you like those? Only $1.5 ea. Smaller caps are apparently better sounding.

Attachments

• cap.jpg
    cap.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 208
ok, im still relatively new to this, but i have a question...

for the power supply, you basically have your transformer, then diodes (to change AC to DC voltage), then, caps to smooth out the ripple effect created by the diodes.

now, ive heard and seen just about EVERYTHING done with the caps. some have 2 caps per channel, some have 4, some have like 50! all i know if that the fewer you have, the higher values you need. and if you have more, they are smaller values.

if you are going for quality (cost not an issue), which is better, assuming caps are same quality. would 20 be better than 2?

what is the typical ideal amount of caps used? ive just seen way too many different combos, and little discussion of "why".

Peter Daniel (a.k.a. HPotter)
How you like those? Only $1.5 ea. Smaller caps are apparently better sounding.
Is this a fact? I have been told that there is a rapidly diminishing return on parallelizing smaller capacitors to decrease ESR impedence. The other problem with having too many parallel caps is the increasing parasitic inductance. Has anyone in here done a study on the optimal number of caps to put in parallel for optimal ESR?

nania said:
Has anyone in here done a study on the optimal number of caps to put in parallel for optimal ESR?

I didn't.;) But in one of the posts gnomus said that he experimented with caps in his SOZ and smaller sounded better. He also recommended lower value than 10k uF for parallel caps. Since I can't refuse deal like that, I decided to use those Nichicons. They 105 deg C and make nice sound when you knock one another.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.