L'Amp: A simple SIT Amp

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
From the Aavid site. Boy they could be a bit more careful in their notation..
Could someone standardize it with good guesses?
Thickness matters, right? or since it's steady state it doesn't?

I've got some of the Alum Oxide ones but they're about 1 mm thick!

The thermal conductivity of beryllium oxide is 221.94 Wm-1 °C-1 (128.2 Btu/hr.ft.°F).

The thermal conductivity of aluminum oxide is 15.06 W/mK @ 75° (8.71 BTU/hr-ft°F @ 167°F).

The thermal conductivity of mica: 0.528 Wm-1°C-1(0.30 Btu/hr.ft °F)

The thermal conductivity of Thermalsil: 0.92 w/m °C

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Why are these pads becoming important? Standard mica ones and good, based on the amount of juice we are putting to these things, should not kill them for a long time.
But I apologize if I missed the point. But a pad that costs more than the SIT seems extreme. (Not that I don't advocate that once in a while).

Good show everyone!! Good show!

tried these big old resistors 200w 22ohm,didn't work after an hour or so I'd get a big click and the meter showing Vds would go high indicating the bias had gone,thought they'd be up to it ,they were £18 each
CIMG0570.jpg

The thick films as an alternative are around £40 each from RS
I can get a run of 10 thick films from Arcol for around £15 each made at 11,12,13 ohm?
Anyone interested ?
Also if I went CLC what value inductance should I use.
Loving these amps:D

hey gang , i have made a mod on my sit output , a little zobel filter with just a 100nf before the 40ohm parallel resistor . wiithout it i can see a big overshoot with 1khz and 10khz squarewave at the input. and with the zobel filter the square wave looks better and the sound smoother , worth to try :)