L'Amp: A simple SIT Amp

hi michael , yes i have tried my grid choke in 1:2 step up but don't really like the sound (loosing some definition in a SET tube amp input ) , i use it just as a gate load for the SITas i have to much gain on my system. it works very well as i can use a fancy smalerl input cap with the high AC impedance of the choke. i still use the Hammond choke as i 'v got the best sound with them and my 8 ohm horn speaker.. i have tried different setting of bias ( 1,6 to 2,6 amp and 55W on the 2SK82!:D) and the 2amp 22V michael have found seems the best as usual:)

Last edited:
I was looking at trying a CLC power supply and was shown this simulator
PSUD2
I dont really know what I was seeing,but a more intelligent forum colleague said there was some ringing in the simulated cct and said it might be worth looking into damping the ringing,anyone got any thoughts on this and PSU D as a simulator for the SIT amp
I'm a paint by numbers DIYer so any guidance appreciated.
Some more stuff hear
http://www.world-designs.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1479

Last edited:
hi Kasumi , could you try my config in PSUD ( i don't have windows PC ) with my CLC 18V AC 22000uf ( 0,01 esr) 10mh ( 0,47 ohm) 37000uf (0,01 esr) .. and tell me if you see any ringing? thanks !

First time I used PSU D was yesterday :eek: ,so I doubt I know what I'm looking at or doing.:confused:
There is a very knowledgeable bloke on another forum I use that inferred that there was ringing in the sim I had using a 20mH inductor in a CLC config.
I started with that as that was what you said you used in a past post.

I'll just go with what Mike recommended 2-4mH and leave these sims to the pros :)

First time I used PSU D was yesterday :eek: ,so I doubt I know what I'm looking at or doing.:confused:
There is a very knowledgeable bloke on another forum I use that inferred that there was ringing in the sim I had using a 20mH inductor in a CLC config.
I started with that as that was what you said you used in a past post.

I'll just go with what Mike recommended 2-4mH and leave these sims to the pros :)

Hey Rob, just to clarify, I think you might have misunderstood - I didn't say there was ringing in your sim (I didn't actually sim it yet), I just suggested using PSUD to simulate your cct. and one of the things to look out for is ringing when you add a current step (you can see the oscillation in the waveform. I was in a hurry ad missed the details in your PM. Knowing the DC resistance of your power transformer and proposed choke would be good, too as they will affect it.

Here's a sim using similar values to the ones you sent: 37000uF - 20mH - 37000uF, 2.5A load. (I substituted a Hammond 159ZE (28mH, 0.43 Ohms) choke as that's a real part.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Look like you get about 2V ripple! That seems quite high...