L'Amp: A simple SIT Amp

Juanitox! Excuse me not asking for the heat problems, but.....

For the sound, did you here the same big jump forward in precision and clarity I meant to here after changing to thick film resistors.....?
What I have found with the resistors as light bulbs ( incandescent or halogen ) that they are slightly sensitive to vibrations . In other words they can "sound" better dependin where and how they are mounted .

Regarding the dissipation , I am approaching 2 Amps with 2 little fans , the heat sinks and then the Sit transistors cool down to a comfortable temperature with little effort . The fans are not noisy at all .

Last edited:
michael , you are the man!! i put the heatsink of the 10ohm resistor outside the case, it is very hot but the case , transfo and Caps stay warm :) for the sound no change for me with the wirewound resistor , but i have lost my hexfred bridge for a 3 cents one .. this afternoon if my wife set me free i will put a old good motorola bridge and tell you..

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
finally it looks like a heavy machine......driving something very dangerous.....:eek::eek::eek:

glad you fixed the problem.....:D

and I am astonished that you do not have the sound difference with the thick film resistors I found astonishing..................................that´s life!

Last edited:
finally it looks like a heavy machine......driving something very dangerous.....:eek::eek::eek:

glad you fixed the problem.....:D

and I am astonished that you do not have the sound difference with the thick film resistors I found astonishing..................................that´s life!

bow with the motorola bridge it sounds superb! , even better than before with the hexfred and the wirewound resistor , so it think the upgrade came from the Thick film res ..

this week / Rcore transfo test and CLC with Rifa PeH200 and hammond 10mh choke ...

this amp 's got so few part , very funny to tweak :D

well the lamps are beautiful but not simple here in EU , the alogen stick have hi price and not so clear resistence ...plus the philips mbtf only 200hr ,the GE 2000hr but I see only 500w .....

with 39v bias 2A ,speakers 5,5ohm I'm near of Stefano working amp ie 16 to 20ohm needed resistence...

Suggestion?

What's the voltage/current rating of the Philips pieces? If you're running them at significantly less than rated power, MTBF will increase dramatically...

Roscoe

Hi again...

To whoever....

I wonder if this is a good solution: 2 of these in serie - Halogenlampa 24 V 100 W GY6.35, gives app 12 ohm - and take 1 or 2 resistor 40Watt/1 ohm also in serie. That way you can try both lamps and resistor.
And stay at app 14-15 ohm load! And the biulbs are 4000 hours livingtime. And the voltage over the lamps should be fairly ok. And the Heat Sink for resistors will stay somewhat smaller.

I include a pic of the lamp, and if anybody could leave a comment...

Attachments

• halogen.jpg
    halogen.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 682
Yea...

Hi juanitox!

You are right - but with a couple of resistors i serie some of the voltage over the resistor will lower the voltage that stays over the bulbs - but you could also use 3 bulbs= 72 volt/15-16 volt and no resistors.

Could be more than 1 solution on this dilemma ; big heat sink with many resistors - or samller heat sink, w some resistors and 2 or 3 bulbs?

Don`t know for sure still - but some day I will complete this Beast!!

First I must get from Sea to my awaiting B1 Buffer - soon to be finished - if time wills....

Best

Olav

Thougt so...

Yes - it was my intention to get the powersupply together with 3 bulbs = approximately 15 Ohm - then 2 pieces 1 ohm resistor/50watt --- and then measure the ampere through the serie - and the voltage over each individual bulb/resistor. First measure cold, then measure them when they are hot!

That way I will know the load/heat/and resistance on each bulb(in cold/varm condition).

If they change too much when hot - I will build a resistance-chain like generg.

Thats my plan:cool:

Olav