Ladies & Gentlemen - The Emken

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It is a toss-up betwix'd finding a new place to cut my wood or leave it where it is.
I dont see them getting built in the next two month if the current rate of progress is anything to go by.
no wonder the planets going swanny, greedy folks and folks that cant be chuffin bothered.

So.........
I phoned the cutting man, ready for a disappointment.....
"I'm cutting your wood tomorrow afternoon Darrell, come out and pick it up after 4pm."
So hopefully I will have lots of bits of wood.
Must make checklist:
Glue: check
Hammer: check
6" nails: check
Sticky plasters: nope
Did I miss owt?

LOL, strangely, I was out on a training ride and spotted a lil sign that said 'blahblah upholstery'...... thought 'go ask'.
Asked for 'Needled wool lining stuff' and guy said 'how much does one want?'
1meter x 68cm = £2.90.
It got delivered to my doorstep for free as the guy was coming to the village to see a friend that evening.
While we're on stuffing: How does I cover the sides, do I cover the 'inner wall' from front baffle to where the 'port' stops then leave a gap before the port its self......or do I just cover right over from front baffle to rear?
Do you have any other stuffing in place, ie polyfluff, sheeps wool?
No 6inch nails, just a minimal number of 20mm pins to hold things while the glue cures, which will then be removed, if I have to use screws it will be for internal battens and these will also be removed.

YAY!!!
Guess what?
STILL NO chopped up ply......why?
"I've spent the week making a door fit, so I'm 3 days behind, I will start cutting after I've had a ciggy"
A WEEK TO MAKE A DOOR FIT!!!!!
So I told his son (who was there, also having a ciggy break) if he followed his farthers work ethic he would be a laughing stock.
*sigh
So, I told him I need then done (and done right) by next friday or else I'll see he dont get any more work period. It wouldnt be so bad if he'd said 3 weeks lead time.
So, IF they aint cut, I will make a small donation to P10 or diyaudio for the plans and see if if there is anywhere else I might be able to get to do the cut.
Sorry for the farse guys, I think I should have remained an observer on this one.

Just been re-reading an article by Nelson Pass about transconductance (current) amplifiers and fullrange drivers. Anyone tried to drive the Emken with such an amp (F1 or F2)? The proposed passive correction circuitry may be beneficial so the Emken could perhaps be made to sound even better. Just a thought...

Hi Vix,
I've had the same kind of thoughts - mine being more along the lines of working through the Zen article single ended amps, PLH, small BA-1 or maybe F5.
As noted, I started to run in the 12lta's, just resting them on edge propped up against my current floor standers to a Kenwood amp that came to me gratis. Been listening to radio and using them for game sound when I found my test-tone files.
I set Foobar to random with 10 - 30hz, 250 - 300 and white noise on random shuffle repeat, went to the shop, saw a friend, went to his for a cuppa........ 3hrs later I thought 'better get back see if me voice coils are ok'.
I previously stated that they reminded me of my first listening device, a 'half decent' transistor radio - not any more they dont!!!
Compared to how they were fresh from the box, the new word is 'smooth', listening to my ref. tracks, the imaging is HUGE.
Of course, the test tones are played at low level to not hit Xmech, gal who lives upstairs has been having 'a funny fluttering sound in my ears' on and off since last saturday.
Anyhoooo, time to go play with my air-gun, I have a new but second hand scope to try......it could be wabbits or pigeon for tea.

Ok, thinking bout this 12lta thing.

your prob gonna say, "make sawdust", but ill ask anyhow.

if i built the Emken and the BBBIB, then equalized them for the same frequency response would they sound the same?

its the same driver after all.

Im so intrigued by this 12lta, maybe its a North american thing, no substitute for cubic inches.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Yesterday as part of diyFEST, Chris redid the venting on our EmKen. Once done (besides a big pile of sawdust), and perched outside on the garage apron, driven by a 2A3 SE (they are proving quite amplifier sensitive), these were vastly more enjoyable... don't know whether it wa snew venting, being in a "larger" room, or the excellent amp.

Sorry to say no measurements can or did happen in the old config.

dave

Im so intrigued by this 12lta, maybe its a North american thing, no substitute for cubic inches.

Big it might be but lazy it aint! Rice rocket quick off the mark

Yesterday as part of diyFEST, Chris redid the venting on our EmKen. Once done (besides a big pile of sawdust), and perched outside on the garage apron, driven by a 2A3 SE (they are proving quite amplifier sensitive), these were vastly more enjoyable... don't know whether it wa snew venting, being in a "larger" room, or the excellent amp.

Sorry to say no measurements can or did happen in the old config.

dave

No worries about the measurements Dave. What the new configuration and what was the general consensus? Enjoy the rest of the 'fest ;)

Here are some photos of the surgery and final winning configuration of the Emken. As Dave noted these were MUCH improved after adding a super tweeter and being hooked up to the amp pictured.

Kyle

Attachments

• IMG_8737.JPG
    IMG_8737.JPG
    692.8 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_8745.JPG
    IMG_8745.JPG
    570.7 KB · Views: 254
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.