Ladies & Gentlemen - The Emken

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
One would have hoped there would have been a moan or two about splinters by now eh?
The woods sat in the guys workshop (un-cut) while he's swanning around with cub-scouts.
And his wife has no idea where the key to said shop is, though she did say she would phone him to find out - or else I'm going to borrow my friends Highlux and have the doors off. I will know whats what in 1/2hr or so.
Seems like I've run out of luck and gained a whole bunch of anger.
My 12lta's have 30hrs on them, de-dust capped and I've been trying to learn how to do the EnAble tap test......... not as easy as it sounds.

Well, the key was found after a frank telephonic conversation (I now have 2off 8 x 4ft sheets of ply in my lounge,).
As was a new woodworker after a conversation with the guy who's boat I'm repairing, new cutting person is most excited about the job and even has some interest in HiFi.
"I'm glad your using ply" he said, "MDF is such nasty stuff and I'd have to charge you extra for a new blade".
The wood will get to his workshop this Friday and I will have my panels a week hence.
Lazy Susan........ do you guys have her number?
I just googled - a turntable. I can see the use for applying the markings / coatings. Maybe I should buy a third drive unit and use a lazy sue to mark concentric rings in fountain pen ink (or white Posca pen) to act as a strike guide.
I think my inability to hear anything bar the strike is due to ambient noise levels and not knowing exactly what I'm supposed to be listening for, though I'm sure I will know what it is when I hear it. Another option could be to get my mother to do the tapping, her hearings got to be better than mine, she plays musical instruments, sings and the family home is quiet.
I shall persevere.

Lazy Susan........ do you guys have her number?
my wife's name is Susan ; she's the least lazy person I've ever met, and I'm the one whose number she has :rolleyes:

I think my inability to hear anything bar the strike is due to ambient noise levels and not knowing exactly what I'm supposed to be listening for, though I'm sure I will know what it is when I hear it. Another option could be to get my mother to do the tapping, her hearings got to be better than mine, she plays musical instruments, sings and the family home is quiet.
I shall persevere.
if you've any doubt how to go about the tap test, or exactly what to listen for, contact DaveD via his commercial site, or perhaps even Skype

I went into town today and after the important bits were out of the way, I went to the art store to look for enabling things......no caligraphic pens, only model paint was Humbrol acrylic.........Zig glue?
Zig is no longer imported, same as Letraset non bleeding 'Super' white graphic paper.
The latter upset me deeply, good job I have stock.
I almost wish I'd not cut the dust caps out. Enable is ways away, even if words / experience says it does / will / might not/ not cure some ills in this instance, its good to know where I might have to head well in advance.
I know mine will sound slightly different to yours JKRO, I'm really interested to hear how they sound just from your description and the wood will be here in perfect time and all things will be considered with deep thought, noted in triplicate through the correct channels.
The 12Lta's get their running time........ wrapped in towels!!!!

Ah! The Proms! Is there anything better for blasting out on a Sunday afternoon?

"A very special performance of Britain's best loved music for royal occasions - Handel's Water Music suites and the Music for the Royal Fireworks. Both works were originally performed outside - on the River Thames and in Green Park, and in this Jubilee year, conductor Hervé Niquet recreates the spectacular atmosphere of those occasions. He brings the huge forces of the remarkable French orchestra Le Concert Spirituel to London, with eighty players, including no less than 18 oboes, all playing specially made instruments that reproduce those used in Georgian England."

It on BBC iPlayer for those who can access it - pure bliss :cloud9:

Too busy watching Ben Ainslie take gold.
And the bint up-stairs is doing a weeks worth of housework, so music with detail is out.
I have been listening to the Lta's, got them propped up against my current speakers and with music from the 60's, they don't sound too bad in free air.
Must also speak to the wood cutting guy, I forgot to note a chamfer on the cutting list.

I have what is likely a stupid question I would like to ask. I will be recieving a pair of the 12LTAs later this week. I will play with them on open baffle but ultimately they will likely go into a box for my son who does not have the space required for an OB. To get these speakers to fit in his space they will likely be located in a space that is too close to walls, at least on one side. To accomodate his space I would like to make a narrower version of the EmKen that utilize a larger "cylindrical head" to accomodate the actual driver. This head would be open to the tower base internally. My question is, are these types of alignments changeable assuming you maintain the volume and vent space? Of course I would have to ensure that there is adaquate space around the driver as well. I envision building the head out of laminated rings glued together, this would also allow for an internal cavity with variations to reduce sound bouncing back through the cone.
Somthing like this:

index.php

Last edited:
These designs are VERY specific (thank goodness for Planet10 & his generosity/curiosity) so I don't think you'd be able to 'adapt' the design

To be honest the 12LTA is great in a sealed box and the size you're talking about would be pretty good on bass and in a sealed box its tight & fast. Have a look for another thread on the 12LTA started by Godzilla. I participated and we had a hoot!! Its the biggest thread on the driver on DIYAudio with the most info.

Not a bad look btw your design

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
really? wow!

wont the 'head' act as a sort of rear chamber and change how the restrictive ports are loaded? Also volume looks to be 60% of Emken

There would need to be no restriction in the transition from the column to the head. There may need to be additional damping at the bottom.

The reduction in width may require as much or more than a doubling of the depth if made as skinny as the illustration.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.