Lacquering - what am I doing wrong? (dips)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
richie00boy said:
Whilst were looking at veneered cabs and Pinkmouse has slipped in about he used oil before, what do people think about oil coatings vs lacquer? I appreciate the differences in application just looking for other information.

Hi
IMO I prefer an oil finish for fine woods.
Thread with some info on oil finishes. Search this forum for "Lost method of finishing"
Cheers

It appears to me that the holes are the result of the lacquer sinking in to the pores of the wood. At this point I would recommend sanding back to try to level the finish and then applying more lacquer. You may have to do this a few times to fill the pores with lacquer and level the finish. The alternative is to remove the lacquer completely and fill the pores with a pore filler and then apply the lacquer.

Earl

richie00boy said:

Thanks, I saw that the first time around. Just quickly looked again and it's about immersing parts in (hot) oil though? I can't really do that.

That was just the starting of the discussion. My take on it is ... using a few coats of oil <pick one>Tung, boiled linseed, or stand oil (pure) and allowing time to cure (harden) the oil. Finish up with oil varnishes or wax.

Might be some issues with thin veneers! Not too sure but maybe related to glues coming up to the suface, by small voids, saturation, or not cleaning up properly etc. IMO thick veneers/solid lumber have better sense of grain depth and are suited to oil finishes. Modern poly finishes are faster, safer an are used by lower cost concerned companies. But can't compare in looks and long lasting preservation of fine furniture or other wood products.

Good point. Trouble is I'm not sure really.

We have some satellite speakers hand turned from solid wood, they are oiled by the craftsman I believe, and look great.

The subwoofer needs to complement the satellite speakers. It's made from 25mm marine ply veneered.

The choice of real wood and veneer for both speakers can be anything from about half a dozen or so woods.

I suppose the satellites could be lacquered if that's what the sub will need, but they do look lovely with oil.

Go with an oil then...

Oils are maintainable/ repairable.

Offer reasonable protection.

Oils can easily leave varying degrees of the grain texture showing. Looks like wood instead of laminate (as Pinkmouse would say).

Oils aren't that good against UV... but in GB who cares?

Does the grain still show on your satellites?

I recomend the copious application of lacquer and then careful sanding. Sand lighty between every coat. At the very least it will give you a good idea of how dry your coat is. Most importantly, have patience. Theres not much you can mess up that you cant fix with wood. Give it a whole day or more to dry between coats and make sure its dry in the room your drying in. I've had urethanes and varnishes that take more than a whole day to dry well.

poobah said:
Go with an oil then...

Oils are maintainable/ repairable.

Offer reasonable protection.

Oils can easily leave varying degrees of the grain texture showing. Looks like wood instead of laminate (as Pinkmouse would say).

Oils aren't that good against UV... but in GB who cares?

Does the grain still show on your satellites?

It is important that it looks like real wood not laminate.

Hopefully this gives you some idea about the grain.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Does oil need redoing every so often? What oil should I use?

Yes oil would need to be reapplied occassionally. If that is the route you want to go I recommend that you remove the lacquer, then one coat of boiled linseed oil and then wipe on a few coats of oil based polyurethane thinned 50/50 with mineral spirits.

If it were me I would stick with the lacquer at this point.

Earl

Richie,

what I should have said is the grain still 3D. or has it been filled smooth.

That definately looks oiled.

And don't put a polymer over oil. Once oil... always oil.

As far as what type of oil... see what the other Brits have to say... only so you can buy the damn stuff! Tung and Linseed are good.

big_ezy said:
Yes oil would need to be reapplied occassionally. If that is the route you want to go I recommend that you remove the lacquer, then one coat of boiled linseed oil and then wipe on a few coats of oil based polyurethane thinned 50/50 with mineral spirits.

If it were me I would stick with the lacquer at this point.

Earl

:confused: there is no lacquer anywhere

poobah said:
Richie,

what I should have said is the grain still 3D. or has it been filled smooth.

That definately looks oiled.

And don't put a polymer over oil. Once oil... always oil.

As far as what type of oil... see what the other Brits have to say... only so you can buy the damn stuff! Tung and Linseed are good.

Yes I said it was oiled ;)

I hoped you could tell from the pic that the grain is feelable/3D. I was going to clean up some old speakers a while ago and instead of Teak oil a guy told me to use Danish oil. What is that like?

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
For touching up and recoating, Danish or teak oils would be fine, just avoid pure or boiled linseed oil as it's a bit thicker and isn't quite so user friendly for your average punter. Unless the speakers are really abused, (high temperatures, direct sunlight), you should only need to re-oil every year or so. You could even chuck in a 20ml bottle, that should do for a couple of applications, will cost you pennies, and show what a caring company you are. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.