Lack of gain?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Seems that I spoke to soon.

When I put my VBIGC back in the main system today I found that I still have a lack of gain such that I can run it at full volume and it is not too loud.

I have taken it back to the 'test' room and run it with my test speakers and another CD player but the result is just the same.

I just can't see what would be affecting both channels in exactly the same way as the channel balance is spot on!

BTW - the test speakers are also very efficient and I can't use them with a standard (unbuffered) IGC at full volume! :xeye:

Well in my pre GC days i would use a signal generator on input posts and monitor the output with a scope as measured across a resistor.
However since i got knocked out adjusting the bias on my PP 6BQ5 amp i have kinda sorta gotten away from tubes.
ron

Yep, keep your other hand in your pocket around high voltages!!!!!!Its a shocking experience.

Hate to bring up the obvious Nuuk ole bud but have you tested the tube?

I have not tested them so far Ron as it seemed very improbable that they had both deteriorated by the same amount.

However, anything is possible in this game and I will swap the tubes over (I'm using one per channel but different pins) to see what that does.

One observation I have made is that when powering up, the DC offset indication LED on the protection module (yes they are still there) comes on as before but now stays on for several seconds before going out again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.