Kwak clock installation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So: my CDP's crystal resonator is of the type shown in the attachment.

I have built a small separate PSU for the clock, and included a ground loop breaker which seems to cure the grounding "hiccups" of the CDP.

And got the right crystal (thanks Elso), so now I'm almost set for connecting the clock (again). Bought some 50 ohm coax cable which I will use, and I will connect the clock output to CRIN (pin 13) of the DSP as Elso kindly suggests.

But do I terminate the cable with a 50 ohm resistor, or should I just leave it?

I'm also planning on leaving the 3.3µH inductor in the circuit for starters at least, so I can connect through it if necessary - will it do any harm (I will of course remove all the caps).

Should I remove the 100k and 2.2k resistors?

And last but not least: how about kwak-clock ground? I guess I connect it to VSSA (pin 12), but on the other hand the original resonator isn't really connected there?

Sorry for all those questions :rolleyes:

Cheers,

/cdl

Attachments

• oscillator.jpg
    oscillator.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 1,058
Kwak-Clock Connection

cdl said:
So: my CDP's crystal resonator is of the type shown in the attachment.

I have built a small separate PSU for the clock, and included a ground loop breaker which seems to cure the grounding "hiccups" of the CDP.

And got the right crystal (thanks Elso), so now I'm almost set for connecting the clock (again). Bought some 50 ohm coax cable which I will use, and I will connect the clock output to CRIN (pin 13) of the DSP as Elso kindly suggests.

But do I terminate the cable with a 50 ohm resistor, or should I just leave it?

I'm also planning on leaving the 3.3µH inductor in the circuit for starters at least, so I can connect through it if necessary - will it do any harm (I will of course remove all the caps).

Should I remove the 100k and 2.2k resistors?

And last but not least: how about kwak-clock ground? I guess I connect it to VSSA (pin 12), but on the other hand the original resonator isn't really connected there?

Sorry for all those questions :rolleyes:

Cheers,

/cdl
Hi Cdl,
Please romove all the components in your pisture except the 2.2k resistor.
The ground of the KWAK-CLOCK should be connected to VSAA i.e the ground of the CDP.
If you are going to use coax cable, which I think is not necessary, the 47 Ohm resistor on board of the KC and the 50 Ohm termination resistor at the other end of the cable would result in halving the clock output voltage . Most likely this level will be too low to work. Just use a short single wire. By short I mean less than 5cm if possible.
:cool:

crystal types...

Hi,

I am wondering if the tent labs low jitter crystal would work in the kwak clock? Is it worth the extra money to get that crystal over others?

About how much does it cost to get all the components to make the kwak clock?

Thanks

God bless...

Mark

Re: crystal types...

Htguy said:
Hi,

I am wondering if the tent labs low jitter crystal would work in the kwak clock? Is it worth the extra money to get that crystal over others?

About how much does it cost to get all the components to make the kwak clock?

Thanks

God bless...

Mark
Hi Mark, you got mail.
The Tent labs "crystal" is NOT a crystal but a complete oscillator contained in a square metallic box. Naturally this will not work in the KWAK-CLOCK.
Hope this helps, as I got this wrong suggestion many times.

:cool:

Grounding the crystal holder

tubee said:
I have finisched a Kwak 7 yesterday on universal PCB
Is it advisible to ground the housing of the cristal with a solderjoint?

In the original player this wasn't done (CD660) but the cristal base touched the ground plane, and was not soldered.

Thanks

Grounding the case of the crystal can be done but did not lead to any sonical improvement.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.