• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Kt120 screen current

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Provide plate voltage, operating point, and screen voltage and someone may be able to answer your question. Other circuit details like screen (UL, pentode) configuration and series resistance if any, and fixed/cathode bias, and OPT winding DCR if UL would also be useful.

Push-pull ultra linear with 1k inseries to the screen.
578v on plate
578v on screen before the 1k resister
568v on screen after 1k resister (10 volt drop across the 1k=10ma)
cathode bias @ 70ma per tube
5k OPT (Hammond 1650R)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2011
Thanks, based on Mr. Turner's graph, I added the estimated screen grid dissipation per RDH4, at ~15W, it is way over the 8W maximum, but that is assuming continuous usage at maximum power, which never happens for hi-fi use, but it is a bit scary still... Please also note that the cathode idle current has been reduced to 50mA from the 70mA used for the UL connection.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

TBH, i have yet to build a KT88 amp, but i will probably run the screens at 400 volts regulated instead of UL...agree that 500v is kinda high....

the KT120 is more like an EL509ish than a real KT88 from what i gather from the net, i could be wrong......so the things can be done differently...

there are teeve tubes with reinforced plates for more power handling, i've seen a 6LQ6 done like that...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.