KSS213C LASER UNIT installation ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Oh dear.
OK checklist time.

1. Is the short really cleared?Did you check with meter or magnifying glass?

2. Are all connectors in place?

3. Is the flat data cable in the right orientation? That is the tinned side facing metal fingers of connector?

4. Is the flat cable inserted perpendicularly into the connected and not slanted at an angle?

Can you hear the laser or see the laser head moving up and down trying to focus? Will wait for reply.

success mate. what i did wrong was i didnt have the chassis and spring set correct i redid it properly, i see what people mean by taking pics before you dismantle i recommend this really anyone who tries this. and many many thanks my £160 cd player works like new wow!!!

I am replacing the laser in my NAD C542. All seemed to be going well until I put it all back together and powered it up. Nothing happened. The part of the mechanism that lifts and then spins the CD is just sitting there. I can see that when I remove the laser chassis, I can see that the gears on the drawer are supposed to engage the control cam which in turn lifts the laser chassis upwards to engage the CD. The control cam is not being engaged by the drawer gears. I could get a better look at the gears IF I could remove the cd tray, but I cannot seem to figure out if that's possible. I need help! I don't wanna toss this player in the trash! Thanks! I am attaching a link to the service manual also.http://hifigoteborg.se/nad_manuals_self/C542.pdf

The pic in the manual is pretty crappy, isn't it.
To take the tray out first remove the switch pin(13) on the tray, then travel the tray out as far as it will go. Look at the base on both sides right by the tray, there is a curved plastic spring on each side that prevents the tray from falling out. Gently spread the springs a little and the tray will come out.
There is a little plastic cover over the belt that is probably the cause of your problem. Pinch the locking tab then slide the cover sideways to remove it

thanks Bill! I will try that tonite when I get home. I will post the outcome as soon as possible. Keep yer fingers crossed for me. I was lucky with mine for a long time since mine would usually only refuse to play discs and spit out the "No Disc" error if I was starting up the player "cold". But, if I left the player on "standby", it would work flawlessly about 90% of the time... so I left it alone. But the other day it was giving me a headache, so I ordered the lasser chassis unit online for $5.

ok... last nite I removed the tray successfully. Turns out the control cam had slipped out of gear. I think it's still in good shape... three gear teeth still there. Is that all there should be? I put the control cam back into the "eject" position, put the drive gear (#5) back into place but still having problems. I didn't note the starting position of the drive gear upon removal, and I've not been able to figure out the correct position or sequence of the gears... it doesn't work properly when I push the tray back in.

OK... IT WORKED!

I had removed the entire transport and was trying to put the mechanism (along with the tray) back into the player and couldn't get the drawer to the tray gears to work properly. I lined the gears along with the "cam" as if the drawer was in eject position and installed it.. without the tray. I pushed the tray in with the machine powered-up.... and BAM! It works! Thanks for your tips on removing the tray!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.