KrellClone KSA100-MKII Power Supply

Thanks Per Anders, I got the boards Yesterday. I hope all goes well. I will try to get back on track with these amps in a week or so. Ive got two big jobs back to back. Then free agian. I have'nt yet bought the transistors. I was wondering what some opinions are, do mje 15030/15031 for drivers and 2sa1943/2sc5200 for the output transistors.

It's coming together!

It's coming together and I could not have done it without you guys. It's been fun and scary for me. I will get the most electrifying (no pun intended--well really yes), scary invent when I turn on this thing. I have a VARIAC and will start out slowly. Still waiting for the MJE15032/3 heatsinks from Jim's Audio--Chinese shipping takes "Me do you long time," (Good Morning Vietnam or was it Hamburger Hill?). Will these 15032/33 have to be dielectric and heat sink greased too? What about the 2SK201/2SJ313s? I found a heat sink compound that is military grade, dielectric, non-silicon, non-creeping synthetic ester based compound , temp range -22 to 390 F degrees, thermal conductivity 1.8 x 10-3 and does not harden.

This compound is made by GC Electronics. "Type44 Heat Sink Compound-- Extra High-Efficiency Heat Transfer." I put very little on both sides of the TO-220 MICA insulators with soft brush. Just wanted to throw this out here in case anyone had a negative experience with this type of heat compound. Also, when I want to add a picture to my message of where I am with the main boards, it ask for "PLEASE ENTER THE URL OF YOUR IMAGE." I don't have a website but could put one together ASAP if that what it takes or is there another way?

The subject of Krell clones and their construction has been well visited in another series of threads. You can use the search function to find the details.

In most cases people opted for the same capacity and quality as stock or better. My personal preference is to keep the capacity of the power supply at or lower than the de-rated thermal capacity of the output transistors. My last build (with Neil Kaye) for 100W class A/8ohm, was a 600W toroid with ~40000uF with 6 output pairs per channel. With fan assisted cooling each channel weighed #35...

In this instance you have not provided enough info for anyone to make informed comments. For instance what goals do you have for this amp? Not deciding this up front will cause you a world of hurt later on...

Some items for you consideration:

Class A output power into what load? (idle current)
Lowest impedance load (peak current)
Class B output power? (rail voltage)
Stereo build, or dual mono? (transformer capacity)
Do you plan on using fans? (mass and volume)

AFAICT your chassis is just large enough for internal passive cooling of a single ~50W channel for 8ohm use or stereo 50w if fans are used.

If you make a stereo 50W amp, in addition to making beautiful music, it will be a very heavy space heater. They only get bigger, heavier and hotter from there.

None of the above is about sound 'quality' per se, rather quality of engineering for the given task.

You can select the 'best sounding' components once you know what values are appropriate for the task you are attempting.

HTH

Stuart
Hi Stuart. Long time no see. I always wanted to ask. The can transistors seems to be hotter at idle and cooler when signal is applied. Is that correct and why. 40V @ 1kVA toroids, 40,000uF, with 8ohms speakers. Just beautiful sounds at just a few notches on the volume knob.

Hi,

Sorry if this reply is horribly delayed, the notification of the message being in my box was lost somehow.

I think the theory suggests that when the amp is putting power into the speaker, there is less in the transistors, assuming the output stage is not leaving Class A. Our observations seem to confirm this, though I never took the time to actually measure temperatures accurately. Just as the amp moves from ClassA into ClassB, the power dissipated in the output stage should be at it's minimum.

HTH

Stuart

ciao scusa ho scoperto questo post solo oggi troppo tempo fa, ho comprato i pcb di Jims ma non li ho ancora avviati. Sono stati usati da altri qui? sono corretti o ci sono problemi con loro? grazie
Scusa per la goffaggine, sto usando google translate. Credo che i PCB che hai menzionato fossero per una versione successiva degli amplificatori Krell. Non ricordo nessuno che abbia segnalato problemi con loro, ma la maggior parte delle persone qui ha usato i PCB progettati dalle altre persone nel thread.

Scusa per la goffaggine, sto usando google translate. Credo che i PCB che hai menzionato erano per una versione successiva degli amplificatori Krell. Non ricordo nessuno che abbia segnalato problemi con loro, ma la maggior parte delle persone qui ha usato i PCB progettati dalle altre persone nel thread.
ciao e grazie per la tua risposta. Potresti indicarmi i post o i file degli utenti qui per creare ksa100? grazie 1000