Krell KSA5

Bogdan (Kent) Borko, polite people do not avoid answering the questions.Or you have no any argument for your claims.
All in all I am pleased to have exact clone of this legendary piece of equipment and I wish to thanks Mr. Gilmore for designing perfect PCB for this very advanced DIY project.

Just completed this little side project of mine, the KSA5. Since all the info is scatter in different forums, and or posts, I decided to post all my documents in one location. It may be use to some other.

I made my own PCB, using Kevin Gilmore Gerber images, and the schematics. I made them slightly smaller so they will fit into the nice Krell clone enclosure. Kevin's own PCB don't fit.

The amp schematic has multiples notes and voltage measurements for easy test.
I used matched pair of 2SK170 for the input JFET, had them in stock. The rest is all quality part all around, Vishay RN60D resistors, Vishay 2 ohms power resistors, Wima & Kemet film caps, Mica frequency compensation caps, Nichicon Muse Gold caps, my own 'pure copper pcb' ;), KMH filter caps on the supply.

I matched all the transistors with care using a curve tracer. Here my prototype.

Attachments

• Prototype under test.jpg
    Prototype under test.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 1,110
  • Main PCB.jpg
    Main PCB.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 1,027
  • Supply.jpg
    Supply.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 1,139
  • KSA5 Bias.txt
    891 bytes · Views: 438
  • ksa5psschem.pdf
    18.5 KB · Views: 413
  • KSA5 Amp - Schematic_wt Notes.jpg
    KSA5 Amp - Schematic_wt Notes.jpg
    567.3 KB · Views: 1,235
  • KSA5 Parts List_small.pdf
    31 KB · Views: 471
Last edited:
Here the measurements:

Sensitivity: 1.25Vin max, for 6.9Vac Out Max. into 8 ohms
Power: 5.95W into 8 ohms max. (+-21V supply)
BW (Ref 1Khz, 1V): 0.3Hz to 145Khz
Noise (gnd input): 0.08mV (Lab. power supply), 2.2mv (Standard Supply)
THD (1V, see load): 0.042% (8 ohms), 0.007% (16 ohms), 0.008% (no load)
IMD (1V, 1 & 2Khz): 0.007% (16 ohms)

In normal use, max volume, gnd inputs, no noise can be heard...
Excellent specs, now time for listening

Check the FFT spectrum, From left to right
Noise floor, with lab power supply, into 8 ohms
THD, 1Khz, 1V, into 8 ohms
THD, 1Khz, 1V, into 16 ohms (more realistic load probably...) We can see than the first harmonic is higher than the next, good. Anyway distorsion is so low...
THD, 1Khz, 1V, no load
IMD, 1Khz & 2 Khz, into 16 ohms

Attachments

• KSA5-IMD_into 16 ohms.jpg
    KSA5-IMD_into 16 ohms.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 250
  • KSA5-THD_no load.jpg
    KSA5-THD_no load.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 259
  • KSA5-THD_into 16 ohms.jpg
    KSA5-THD_into 16 ohms.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 285
  • KSA5-THD_into 8 ohms.jpg
    KSA5-THD_into 8 ohms.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 284
  • KSA5-Noise Floor_Lab Supply_into 8 ohms.jpg
    KSA5-Noise Floor_Lab Supply_into 8 ohms.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 900
Last edited:
After a few listening tests I settle for a slightly lower supply voltage, and higher bias, 19V, and 125mv bias (instead of 21V, 100mv). I found that the sibilance are lower, and the overall sound smoother.

For those who wonder the Heatsink temperature is around 45C, with 19V supplies and 125mV bias, with the prototype in open air.
Will be at least around 50C once monted inside the enclosure. I'll have ventilation added on the bottom, my PCB has ventilation holes under the heatsinks.
It should form a nice ventilation chimney from bottom to top once mounted in the enclosure.

Compare to some of my best Headphone amps, this one is very detailled, doesn't hide or improve anything, bass are well controlled.

To resume a very nice amplifier, but more on the side of the revealing than on the side of dreamy.

It is always a question of taste ;)

Here the chassis I will use, with integrated power supply... More on that once I'm done doing the assembly.

Attachments

• Chassis_1.JPG
    Chassis_1.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 955
Last edited:
I matched all the transistors pairs that I could see on the schematic, indeed you cannot match PNP with NPN. Matches are only within NPN or PNP.
In addtion to the pair of output power transistors, I also matched the following
-Q5, Q6 (Input JFET CCS pair)
-Quad Q15-Q18 & Q19-21 (Output transistors drivers)

And these that may or may not be in need for a match, I didn't know:
-Q11 with Q9 & Q8 with Q7
-Q10 with Q4 & Q3 with Q2

The small signal MPS06 & MSP56 were easy to match. I bought 100 of each, but only needed to measure the first 50 to find suitable match.

The power transistors had more variability, and were more difficult to find match. I bought 30 of each, and that was just enough... I still have a few extra matched pairs but they are less closely matched than the ones I'm using.

In the actual amp, if I measure the accross the 2 ohms resistors, for a bias of 125mv, all 4 resistors measured within +/-1 mv of each, indicating closely matched output pairs.

Once the amp was completed, without plugin the servo IC, I had -0.06V and -0.08Vdc at the output, also indicating a well balanced circuit. The Servo was almost not needed...

Last edited:
Here the latest tweaks, as I said lowered the supply voltage to +-19V, easily done, simply added 2K on parallel with the reference output volt divider 511R.

Then on the supply added an input CRC filter (4R resistor and second 4700uF cap) to reduced a little the regulator input voltage from 32V to 30V, since I increased the bias current.
That will reduces the pass regulator power dissipation.

That also reduce the amp already low noise floor. Regulator input ripple went from 300mVac to 100mVac...

End result is very nice indeed, excellent amplifier :p

Attachments

• Ksa5_19v & crc.jpg
    Ksa5_19v & crc.jpg
    738.7 KB · Views: 970
Why 10ma Idss for input J-Fets ? Is it important? I useK170 with 8ma Idss.It seems that original 2N fets are better since they have much lower input C.
Kevin Gilmore designed improved PS version for KSA5 called Golden Reference LV. I built it, and and SQ was improved in dynamics and bass.