Krell KSA 50 PCB

Hey, guys!
I have a question. I'm in the process of putting together a preamp, the "Grounded grid preamp" to be exact.

On page 85 of his book "Audio reality" Bruce Rozenblit writes
There is one precaution when using this preamp with a solid state amplifier that responds down to nearly DC. At about five seconds into warm up, a voltage disturbance vill appear on the output which will vanish in one second.

The frequency of this disturbance is about 0.5Hz........... It has the potential to drive the amplifiers output stage full for about one half second resulting in a potentially damaging heavy current flow into your speakers

Could this be a problem with the Krell?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
kmj said:
Hey, guys!
I have a question. I'm in the process of putting together a preamp, the "Grounded grid preamp" to be exact.

On page 85 of his book "Audio reality" Bruce Rozenblit writes

Could this be a problem with the Krell?

JUST POWER-UP FIRST YOUR PREAMP,AND AFTER 30 SECS YOUR kRELL;
damn caps lock!!!

then pray that you'll not have any brownout or blackout in mains

:devilr:

muting on output of your preamp is not an option .

krell-o-tracker

Hi, just checking in, miss you guys.

I count 19 amps made and in progress on the Krell-O-Tracker (bottom of page). Surely by now there are more?

How about some updates to the wiki and some more pics?

zlast, can you fill in the stats of your amp or post them for someone to fill in if you don't know how?

have enjoyed following up on this thread, keep it up.

Re: krell-o-tracker

lgreen said:
Hi, just checking in, miss you guys.

Surely by now there are more?

How about some updates to the wiki and some more pics?

I have started to add my clone (plans) a few times, but halfway I stopped because there are too may things I have not made a decission.

I hope to add some details when I have collected enough parts to start building.

Hi,
has anyone had the chance to compare performance of a regulated front end with the standard front end with/without ripple on the supply?

Comments on suitable/unsuitable topologies welcome.

I'm thinking of regulated at the same rail voltage as the output devices using the scaleable reg GB boards.

Dennis Hui said:
Hey Lgreen,

Good seeing you again.

Alas, my KSA project is still in the heatsink-gathering
stage.

How's your Aleph-X coming along?

Cheers,
Dennis

Lucky you guys have the time and willingness to go about it... I have all the parts (sans chassis) but not the time (on the road during the week) or the willingness (as need to spend time with family during the weekend when I am home) but wish to get it done some time.... some pushing and prodding always helps :bawling:

Your K-buddy.

Heat sinks?

I still have em, but have no time to find or ship... I look forward to moving back to La and being a welfare case where I get money and do nothing... :D THAT WAS A JOKE!! I just hope I can balance work and home in my next location.

Attachments

• dsc00182heat sinks small.jpg
    dsc00182heat sinks small.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 605
always wondered

I've always wondered about the grooves/channels on the sides of those heatsinks.

Are there little I-beams available that will slide in there to hold a bunch of those next to each other? Are the sides different- meaning one side will mate into the other side of a 2nd piece?